View Poll Results: Would you do what Angie did?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • No f'n way - that's crazy.

    6 22.22%
  • Absolutely, makes perfect sense to me.

    14 51.85%
  • I'm in morning for Angie's natural boobs...

    4 14.81%
  • other...please explain

    3 11.11%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

  1. #61
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No, I would not have done that. It's a pretty solid example of what living in excessive (and unrealistic) fear can do to a person.
    -------------------
    Really?
    87% chance of cancer doesn't seem like an excessive or unrealistic fear to me.
    The breasts will be re-built.....better than ever, no doubt.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  2. #62
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by radioman View Post
    -------------------
    Really?
    87% chance of cancer doesn't seem like an excessive or unrealistic fear to me.
    The breasts will be re-built.....better than ever, no doubt.
    Yes, really. I have a family history of brain lesions and tumors. Should I have my brain removed because I have a higher than normal chance of brain lesions? I just think that people worry excessively, and are scared ****less that something may be wrong with them at some point in the future. You pay your nickel, you take your chances. I don't personally care what Jolie does with her breasts, but it does indicate that she lives in fear.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #63
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    omg! Celebrity gossip, news photos, babies, couples, hotties, and more - omg! from Yahoo!

    Wow.... she did not have cancer, she simply had a

    So she underwent major surgery to prevent something that may or may not have been an issue for her.

    That seems highly CRAZY to me.

    Would you undergo something that traumatic to prevent the possibility of getting cancer?

    Detected early enough aren't most breast cancer cases survivable?
    Other.

    A woman's medical decisions are between her and her physicians and the business of nobody else.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #64
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes, really. I have a family history of brain lesions and tumors. Should I have my brain removed because I have a higher than normal chance of brain lesions? I just think that people worry excessively, and are scared ****less that something may be wrong with them at some point in the future. You pay your nickel, you take your chances. I don't personally care what Jolie does with her breasts, but it does indicate that she lives in fear.
    ------------------
    Hmmmm....there's a joke there....but I'm too classy to pick this low-hanging fruit.
    I'm amazed that you would compare a brain's importance to breasts.
    Are you sure you're not a man?
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Other.

    A woman's medical decisions are between her and her physicians and the business of nobody else.
    Unless of course they go straight to the media and make it a public news sensation? Right?

  6. #66
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Unless of course they go straight to the media and make it a public news sensation? Right?
    This is a good case of using celebrity status. I'm sure many women will feel empowered and less depressed over having made this medical decision.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,494

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    This is a good case of using celebrity status. I'm sure many women will feel empowered and less depressed over having made this medical decision.
    I don't have a problem with it...just commenting on a previous post.

  8. #68
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,436
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So you monitor the hell out of it, catch it way early if you get it, and take care of things then.

    Why put yourself through major surgery if you don't have to?

    Caught early, what are the odds that you survive?

    65% chance you'll get something means 35% chance you won't.
    I don't know if this is a consideration, but I've heard of a lot of cases where people beat cancer initially only to have it show up years later somewhere else. It's almost as if, after it shows up once, cells can drift around in your body and regenerate elsewhere. I don't know how the science works but it's like recidivism. I wonder if there's stats somewhere about how many cancer victims had cancer previously and beat it.

  9. #69
    feckless bon vivant

    radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    lotusland
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,760

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I don't know if this is a consideration, but I've heard of a lot of cases where people beat cancer initially only to have it show up years later somewhere else. It's almost as if, after it shows up once, cells can drift around in your body and regenerate elsewhere. I don't know how the science works but it's like recidivism. I wonder if there's stats somewhere about how many cancer victims had cancer previously and beat it.
    ---------------------------
    Lots of theories on breast cancer recurrence.
    Once the theory was---"take as much surrounding tissue as possible, without killing the patient".
    This thinking led to radical mastectomies wherein patients were mutilated, and their cancers STILL came back.
    Nowadays, a lumpectomy followed by radiation therapy is the usual treatment.
    If the lumpectomy and radiation don't do the trick, it was too late anyway, the cancer had metastasized.
    Nasty, sneaky disease.
    Some progress has been made, but no magic bullet.
    I read an excellent---slightly depressing--book on this disease.
    "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee.
    No matter how cynical I become toward politicians, it's never enough.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Angelina Jolie Reveals She Had Preventative Double Mastectomy

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes, really. I have a family history of brain lesions and tumors. Should I have my brain removed because I have a higher than normal chance of brain lesions? I just think that people worry excessively, and are scared ****less that something may be wrong with them at some point in the future. You pay your nickel, you take your chances. I don't personally care what Jolie does with her breasts, but it does indicate that she lives in fear.
    Still, you can live a perfectly normal without breasts. Not the case without a brain though!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •