View Poll Results: What does "sociail justice" mean to you?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Equality

    15 23.08%
  • Solidarity

    7 10.77%
  • Wealth redistribution

    23 35.38%
  • Socialism

    20 30.77%
  • Justice

    19 29.23%
  • Unjustice

    14 21.54%
  • Good

    9 13.85%
  • Evil

    10 15.38%
  • Prosperity

    7 10.77%
  • Other

    18 27.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 224

Thread: Social justice

  1. #81
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    People say I used biased sources. They are correct. Everyone in here uses biased sources for the simple enough reason that every source is biased. To date, people have had a fairly tough time (you included) translating that into "cpwill uses sources who make stuff up".
    They have also pointed out the inaccuracies, as have I. Bias doesn't concern me at all. Having the facts wrong does. And no one has had ltrouble showing that.

    I am describing social justice as it's proponents wish it enacted. If you do not like the ugliness of that reality, perhaps you should reconsider your support for the term, or at least make clear your intention to capture it to serve another purpose of your own making.
    No, as you think they wish it and not what the term actually means. There is a real difference.


    On the contrary, to give preference to someone for a limited resource (jobs, school slots, promotions) based on their race is indeed to hold others back based on their race. AA absolutely trods on Asian and White students, which is why they sue over the matter.
    No real preference can be given under the law. No quotas. No one not qualified. The law simply says you can't discriminate due to race and asks that you show you didn't. There is no evidence Asians or Whites are trod on (this is where you bring up another inaccurate source I'd guess ).

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They have also pointed out the inaccuracies, as have I. Bias doesn't concern me at all. Having the facts wrong does. And no one has had ltrouble showing that.



    No, as you think they wish it and not what the term actually means. There is a real difference.






    No real preference can be given under the law. No quotas. No one not qualified. The law simply says you can't discriminate due to race and asks that you show you didn't. There is no evidence Asians or Whites are trod on (this is where you bring up another inaccurate source I'd guess ).
    You sound like a lawyer

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Hi

    I was thinking about "social justice" and wondered what it means to you when you hear the term. Please, explain.
    It's a political buz-word frequently used by the Left and means revenge against whatever the speaker feels has wronged them, rather the speaker is actually correct or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    I don't think you can take the word away from it's religious roots ...
    I for one wasn't aware 'social justice' had any religious roots, or related to religion in any way. It's a purely political Leftist term used in modern propaganda, nothing more.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-16-13 at 08:33 PM.

  4. #84
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is another excellent point - realistically it is nonsense. People are individuals, and have justice dispensed accordingly. You cannot dispense justice to groups by taking from or altering the conditions of other groups.
    It really just sounds like a buzzword used to segue into some illegible rant about societal collectivism by angry teenagers who just discovered Karl Marx. The ones who are so extreme to the maxxx that they don't eat meat, and they have 75 piercings in their face to prove to complete strangers that they don't give a ****.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #85
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    You sound like a lawyer
    well, as the old lawyers saw goes, when the law is against you, argue the facts. when the facts are against you, argue the law. When both are against you, attack the plaintiff.

  6. #86
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They have also pointed out the inaccuracies, as have I. Bias doesn't concern me at all. Having the facts wrong does. And no one has had ltrouble showing that.
    except, apparently, for you, as you remain either unable (most likely) or unwilling (less like) to do so.

    No, as you think they wish it and not what the term actually means. There is a real difference.
    So your argument is that social justice is not how it is popularly used, but instead this fantastic vague warm and fuzzy meaning that you have dreamed up in your head? That all of the Social Justice organizations are built on a false self-definition?

    ....well.... it's an argument. It has the benefit (or loss) of being non-falsifiable, which makes it rather perfect for you...

    No real preference can be given under the law. No quotas. No one not qualified. The law simply says you can't discriminate due to race and asks that you show you didn't. There is no evidence Asians or Whites are trod on (this is where you bring up another inaccurate source I'd guess ).
    On the contrary, the law demands that you discriminate by race. It also demands that you not do so. It also allows you to do so, but in certain conditions. I have to run now, but it's not exactly as though this is news. If you wish for me to demonstrate that affirmative action is real and exists, and that employers are not allowed to engage in work-relevant testing that creates "disparate impact" on identity groups, it's a mere google search away.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New york
    Last Seen
    05-21-13 @ 05:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15

    Re: Social justice

    i think the better word related to it is social justice. its the best one to identity socialism

  8. #88
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,734

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    However, this is not about wealth redistribution. Social justice is pretty much about that.

    OK, how about that:



    Does this seem like "social justice"?
    But that's Supply-Side Jesus talking! Jesus of Nazarene was the one who preached peace and love.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #89
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Gawain View Post
    You sound like a lawyer
    Not one.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    except, apparently, for you, as you remain either unable (most likely) or unwilling (less like) to do so.
    Nope. I have a few times. You always disappear afterwards an pretend it didn't happen.

    So your argument is that social justice is not how it is popularly used, but instead this fantastic vague warm and fuzzy meaning that you have dreamed up in your head? That all of the Social Justice organizations are built on a false self-definition?

    ....well.... it's an argument. It has the benefit (or loss) of being non-falsifiable, which makes it rather perfect for you...
    Again, no. I maintain that it has a real definition beyond what you wan to attach to it.


    On the contrary, the law demands that you discriminate by race. It also demands that you not do so. It also allows you to do so, but in certain conditions. I have to run now, but it's not exactly as though this is news. If you wish for me to demonstrate that affirmative action is real and exists, and that employers are not allowed to engage in work-relevant testing that creates "disparate impact" on identity groups, it's a mere google search away.
    Ponce more, you are factually incorrect. The law only demands that you don't discriminate by race. You do understand that much of testing is arbitrary and not always absolute need. But that has to do with the validity of the test not discrimination. Some fear to argue the test and try to short cut by claiming they are being picked on.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •