View Poll Results: What does "sociail justice" mean to you?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Equality

    15 23.08%
  • Solidarity

    7 10.77%
  • Wealth redistribution

    23 35.38%
  • Socialism

    20 30.77%
  • Justice

    19 29.23%
  • Unjustice

    14 21.54%
  • Good

    9 13.85%
  • Evil

    10 15.38%
  • Prosperity

    7 10.77%
  • Other

    18 27.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 224

Thread: Social justice

  1. #31
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    huh. Well that's unfortunate. I was looking forward to actually discussing this with you, as I think you are on to something, but it turns out that you are as quick to turn into an ad hominem hackattack as anyone else.

    zero points for failing to address the point raised.
    What point did I not answer? Asking me to read a book by Hayek isn't a point.

  2. #32
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,117

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    What point did I not answer? Asking me to read a book by Hayek isn't a point.
    Summaries are available for free on Amazon. Ad hominem isn't a point, either. It's just a particularly mean-spirited strawman.

  3. #33
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Summaries are available for free on Amazon. Ad hominem isn't a point, either. It's just a particularly mean-spirited strawman.
    If you want to make a point to respond to then make it, asking me to read a book, or even a summery of someone who I don't take seriously as an economist much less a philosopher or theologian (of which this topic is about) isn't a point, and as such doesn't require a response.

    If you have a point, I can respond to it, I wasn't making a point by saying I'm not gonna read a book by Hayek, who I don't take seriously, I was responding to someone who made that request.

  4. #34
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,117

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    If you want to make a point to respond to then make it, asking me to read a book, or even a summery of someone who I don't take seriously as an economist much less a philosopher or theologian (of which this topic is about) isn't a point, and as such doesn't require a response.

    If you have a point, I can respond to it, I wasn't making a point by saying I'm not gonna read a book by Hayek, who I don't take seriously, I was responding to someone who made that request.
    Asking someone to summarize an argument is fine. It's not incumbent upon you to do others' research. Responding with an ad hominem only reflects on you, not on the argument to which you are nominally responding.

  5. #35
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Asking someone to summarize an argument is fine. It's not incumbent upon you to do others' research. Responding with an ad hominem only reflects on you, not on the argument to which you are nominally responding.
    It wasn't an adhominem attack, it wasn't even an argument, it was an explination as to why I wasn't going to waste my time.

    But go ahead, if you have a point to make, make it.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    04-17-14 @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    503

    Re: Social justice

    Its just another word for socialism

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    Hayek is a psudo-economist, not anyone to be taken seriously, especially on philosohpical or theological issues such as this.
    Well, you are not a professor either. Or are you?
    Anyway, I don't like the term "social justice". It's an oxymoron. "Social evening" may be, but not "justice".

  8. #38
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no. There is no more "justice" in social justice than there was in the original injustice that created the issue. You do not justly raise some up by trodding on others.
    No. That's a misunderstanding. A talking point that promotes a superficial view. The effort is to be "just," and not trod on anyone. Making sure there is no discrimination isn't trodding. Making sure rules are fair isn't trodding. Making sure there is no unfair advantage, like laws favoring one side over the other, isn't trodding.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #39
    Sage
    RGacky3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,570

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Well, you are not a professor either. Or are you?
    Anyway, I don't like the term "social justice". It's an oxymoron. "Social evening" may be, but not "justice".
    It isn't an oxymoron at all, you have individual justice, i.e. the right way for an individual to be treated, or the right thing for an individual to do, and then social justice, the right way for a society to be set up, the right foundations that a society should be built on.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by RGacky3 View Post
    It isn't an oxymoron at all, you have individual justice, i.e. the right way for an individual to be treated, or the right thing for an individual to do, and then social justice, the right way for a society to be set up, the right foundations that a society should be built on.
    Yeah, right.

    And what is right and what isn't will decide... who? Let me guess - the Leader.
    As in this old anekdote.

    1. The boss is always right.
    2. If the boss isn't right, see point 1.


Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •