View Poll Results: What does "sociail justice" mean to you?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Equality

    15 23.08%
  • Solidarity

    7 10.77%
  • Wealth redistribution

    23 35.38%
  • Socialism

    20 30.77%
  • Justice

    19 29.23%
  • Unjustice

    14 21.54%
  • Good

    9 13.85%
  • Evil

    10 15.38%
  • Prosperity

    7 10.77%
  • Other

    18 27.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 224

Thread: Social justice

  1. #101
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    OK, let me lay it out for you.

    - "Social justice is justice exercised within a society" - fair enough, justice it should be;
    - "particularly as it is applied to and among the various social classes of a society." - that simply means "no privileges for any class in society";
    - "A socially just society is one based upon the principles of equality" - Please, note: "the principles of equality".

    Why do leftist so often imply "wealth equality" instead of "rights equality"?
    You make a mistake. The inequality is in the rules that favor the wealthy over the working man or woman. Ths is where the argument lies. Some try to avoid this by falsely making the wealth equality cliam. It is really a rights equality argument.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You make a mistake. The inequality is in the rules that favor the wealthy over the working man or woman. Ths is where the argument lies. Some try to avoid this by falsely making the wealth equality cliam. It is really a rights equality argument.
    OK, so if it's entirely a "rights" argument, I am all for that. That's what "social justice" should be about.
    Glad we cleared that up.
    Last edited by Canell; 05-21-13 at 02:55 AM.

  3. #103
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    OK, let me lay it out for you.

    - "Social justice is justice exercised within a society" - fair enough, justice it should be;
    - "particularly as it is applied to and among the various social classes of a society." - that simply means "no privileges for any class in society";
    - "A socially just society is one based upon the principles of equality" - Please, note: "the principles of equality".

    Why do leftist so often imply "wealth equality" instead of "rights equality"?

    you will find those who call for social justice, are also for the ideas of democracy, which seeks to achieve equality in every aspect of life thru redistribution, not what the founders created which is equality under the "eyes of justice"....one reason why America is not created as a democracy.
    Last edited by Master PO; 05-21-13 at 03:00 AM.

  4. #104
    User kenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    06-22-13 @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    108

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you will find those who call for social justice, are also for the ideas of democracy, which seeks to achieve equality in every aspect of life thru redistribution, not what the founders created which is equality under the "eyes of justice"....one reason why America is not created as a democracy.
    I don't see the connection with democracy, which is people having a say in the matters that affect them, and redistribution to render everything equal.

  5. #105
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by kenc View Post
    I don't see the connection with democracy, which is people having a say in the matters that affect them, and redistribution to render everything equal.
    read about democracy and collectivism.

    democracy derives its rights from the collect group,............... not individuals.

    America was created with people having individual rights, there are no collective rights in American government.
    Last edited by Master PO; 05-21-13 at 04:30 AM.

  6. #106
    User kenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    06-22-13 @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    108

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    democracy derives its rights from the collect group,............... not individuals....
    I just don't think they are so integrally tied as you suggest. Democracy is vote by individuals vying for their personal preference. Again, it is the same old story, everyone knee jerks to exclaim "Majority Rule!" but fails to realize that a person may be in the majority on one issue and a minority in another. What gives democracy its validity is consensus, not collectivism.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    OK, so if it's entirely a "rights" argument, I am all for that. That's what "social justice" should be about.
    Glad we cleared that up.
    Anytime.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #108
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by kenc View Post
    I just don't think they are so integrally tied as you suggest. Democracy is vote by individuals vying for their personal preference. Again, it is the same old story, everyone knee jerks to exclaim "Majority Rule!" but fails to realize that a person may be in the majority on one issue and a minority in another. What gives democracy its validity is consensus, not collectivism.
    "Marxism holds that "democracy is the road to socialism"

    "Democracy is indispensable to socialism"
    Vladimir Lenin

  9. #109
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    OK, let me lay it out for you.

    - "Social justice is justice exercised within a society" - fair enough, justice it should be;
    - "particularly as it is applied to and among the various social classes of a society." - that simply means "no privileges for any class in society";
    - "A socially just society is one based upon the principles of equality" - Please, note: "the principles of equality".

    Why do leftist so often imply "wealth equality" instead of "rights equality"?
    What part of "particularly as it is applied to and among the various social classes of a society" did you not understand? Do you not realize that social justice is an inherently liberal idea championed by pioneers such as Martin Luther King, Jr., Susan B. Anthony, Jesus, and W.E.B. DuBois, even if they didn't use that term?

    EDIT: OK, I just saw the exchange between you and Boo. Social justice does not necessarily imply forced equality--very few people support that. Rather, it means that we should not neglect the needs of the lower classes simply because they are less visible.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  10. #110
    User kenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    06-22-13 @ 03:49 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    108

    Re: Social justice

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    "Marxism holds that "democracy is the road to socialism"

    "Democracy is indispensable to socialism"
    Vladimir Lenin
    Well then, sign me up for Marxism!!

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •