View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #511
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    How can you yet again ask this question after a day of exchanges on this very topic? that has been answered many many many times?

    Article I, Section 8.... Two different sections result in this - Congress shall have the power to provide for the general welfare of the USA and to pass laws which they believe are necessary and proper to achieve this power.

    the general welfare is the 18 enumerated duties of congress, and its not education at all or housing.

    “The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined . . . to be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce.” – James Madison, Federalist 45

    your attempts at your little game, of saying you not for unlimited government and then claiming congress can use the general welfare to create anything they wish it very convoluted!

    you know government is supposed to be limited, yet you will not come out and say it, and go against the founders, becuase any argument against them by you fails instantly.

    “Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, ------>but only those specifically enumerated.” – Thomas Jefferson, 1798
    Last edited by Master PO; 05-20-13 at 02:37 PM.

  2. #512
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I don't think the teaching of facts is the issue. Yeah, there's a few Creationists who want to change science classes but that is miniscule compared to the overall problem.
    But since I'm only talking about curriculum, that's what I'm focusing on. We need to stop people from teaching nonsense in schools. There are lots of other things that we need to improve as well, but that's outside of what I'm discussing.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #513
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,667

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Based on other policies of late, the similarities are disturbing.

    I'd prefer local entities be responsible for what is taught in the classroom.
    The so called "similarities' seem to be a figment of an over-active imagination combined with ideological zeal.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #514
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The only reason I want central control (and it doesn't necessarily have to be government but I don't see how else it could be done) is to ensure consistency across the board. Every single school in every single town in every single state ought to be teaching the same thing at the same general time (at least in the same grade level). The purpose of schools are to teach facts. The facts don't change based on what state you're in. 1+1=2 is true no matter where you are, just because some group of crazies takes over a school board and insists that 1+1=3, that should never be acceptable.
    Facts are a dime a dozen. Any fact you want to know can be had at the push of a button. What students need to learn is how to evaluate and apply those facts, as well as how to use them to support opinions.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #515
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,667

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    The supreme court and the states all agreed to the constitution with a different interpretation. The supreme court later changed its view, and that happened due to coercion from the executive branch.

    As for supreme court rulings in favor of your opinion, the court has been wrong a number of times (like in the case of slavery), are we all just supposed to submit to the court's rule until they change their mind? Internment camps, slavery, etc are just to be lived with until they have a change of heart?

    Also, their opinions on the matter are the wholly important factors, because the constitution is made to be interpreted two ways: the way it was intended at its creation, and in a manner that leaves the most desicions/freedoms to its sovereign (the states/the people).

    Why can't you people just leave the decisions to the states and fight to make your states he utopia you imagine? Why does this have to be a national system at all?
    1 - What coercion are you referring to? The Court Packing plan of FDR failed.

    2 - Nobody is saying any human is infallible in their decisions. What I am saying is that nearly eighty years of American jurisprudence is firmly on my side of this issue. And as such means - quite frankly and without offense intended towards anyone - a whole hell of a lot more than just some right wingers opinion on the internet.

    3 - Why don't we just leave it to states? Probably because we are Americans who love the USA and its people and want to see policies which advance us forward as a nation and as a people rather than in small fragments while leaving others behind.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #516
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,667

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post

    your attempts at your little game, of saying you not for unlimited government and then claiming congress can use the general welfare to create anything they wish it very convoluted!

    you know government is supposed to be limited, yet you will not come out and say it, and go against the founders, becuase any argument against them by you fails instantly.
    Again with the strawman as I never said I supported anything but limited government.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #517
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,138

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The so called "similarities' seem to be a figment of an over-active imagination combined with ideological zeal.
    Right...figment. "Must come around to YOUR way of thinking....." Your lean has been disclosed.

  8. #518
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,667

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Right...figment. "Must come around to YOUR way of thinking....." Your lean has been disclosed.
    I have no idea what that means. Comparing things to the Nazi's when there is no real basis of comparison is hyperbole of the worst sort.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #519
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have no idea what that means. Comparing things to the Nazi's when there is no real basis of comparison is hyperbole of the worst sort.
    Logic Nazi!!

  10. #520
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,138

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have no idea what that means. Comparing things to the Nazi's when there is no real basis of comparison is hyperbole of the worst sort.
    Yea, I've heard taking about or comparing things to Nazis is a conversation killer. however, IT'S HISTORY and I don't care to repeat it.

    AAMOF when someone tells me that, suspicions arise.

    You're not a Brown shirt...are ya?
    Last edited by WCH; 05-20-13 at 06:18 PM.

Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •