View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #31
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    No, we should not move to a national educational system. Not entirely, at least.

    There should be some basic national standards, but they should be general standards, standards which do not change every 10 years. It should be up to the states to refine those general standards and put them into working concepts. Once they are put into working concepts, it should be on the local school districts to best implement those concepts, in a manner which is appropriate for the area of the country they live and the student population they serve.

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, we should not move to a national educational system. Not entirely, at least.

    There should be some basic national standards, but they should be general standards, standards which do not change every 10 years. It should be up to the states to refine those general standards and put them into working concepts. Once they are put into working concepts, it should be on the local school districts to best implement those concepts, in a manner which is appropriate for the area of the country they live and the student population they serve.
    I pretty much agree with this. This could be done with cutting the size of the DoE to 1/10 what it is currently, also.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,833

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Pensions, public or otherwise, are economic dinosaurs, and likewise, should be extinct.
    Public TRS pensions have been raided for at least 4 decades, destroying the premise of a workable 401K. Teacher money has been deferred for a career. Who should pay it back with interest? Teachers in states like Illinois get no social security. Just as the term gun-haters is loosely thrown around here at DP, so should the word teacher-haters.

  4. #34
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,833

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, we should not move to a national educational system. Not entirely, at least.

    There should be some basic national standards, but they should be general standards, standards which do not change every 10 years. It should be up to the states to refine those general standards and put them into working concepts. Once they are put into working concepts, it should be on the local school districts to best implement those concepts, in a manner which is appropriate for the area of the country they live and the student population they serve.
    When I began teaching in 1976, I was told by veteran teachers that the state would come along every 5 years and reinvent the wheel. This continues to happen to this day. If any of you have children, they will most likely graduate from high school in 2018 or after with an electronic portfolio, akin to a fancy IEP/504 for every student. If you know anything of education, you know what a nightmare this will be. I'm glad I'm retired but I'm also glad to still be teaching about one semester a year.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    And we haven't touched on how today's educators are being screwed on future pensions due to political malfeasance.
    And I don't want to because the point is not the teachers; the point is the quality of education. It's about the underperformance of the students in comparison to students in other countries.

    Less federal "involvement" is needed, not more.

  6. #36
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    How would privatisation solve those issues? Classrooms would be larger for more profit, teacher qualification requirements could go down, to maximise profit, and the union could still be a pain in the arse.
    No, there would be many different systems in place, because there would be many customers that don't want large classrooms for their kids. There would be schools for everyone because companies would the business from as many customers has they can get.

    The profit motive system would make private schools VERY much better if there wasn't a government school system in place

  7. #37
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,575

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Ah yes because when only an elite few are allowed to be educated nothing bad ever happens.

    For more see the effects of favouritism in education in regards to post colonial countries.

    Where only one tribal group or social elites get education... tends to turn out quite badly.
    I don't think he ever said that would be the case. What's wrong with a school voucher being issued to every child's parents to use at any accredited school?

  8. #38
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,833

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Golly Gee Willickers, Baby Boomers voted themselves awesome benefits but then also voted not to delay gratification in order to be able to afford them? Color me astonished!
    Teachers did not vote themselves awesome benefits. No one did. Get educated and then prove how awesome they are. Specific is terrific.
    On the other hand, admins do have awesome benefits but if you knew a very small fraction of the heavy burdens they carry with our students et al. I've seen them listen to a crying teacher most of the night who just lost a child. Yet they're back the next day bound by the laws of confidentiality.
    Going to college and racking up debt
    Thankfully, there are enough students, parents, and BOEs who give us the intrinsic reward we need and I need to stay unretired.

    And Sergio Garcia is a whiny punk.

  9. #39
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    When I began teaching in 1976, I was told by veteran teachers that the state would come along every 5 years and reinvent the wheel. This continues to happen to this day. If any of you have children, they will most likely graduate from high school in 2018 or after with an electronic portfolio, akin to a fancy IEP/504 for every student. If you know anything of education, you know what a nightmare this will be. I'm glad I'm retired but I'm also glad to still be teaching about one semester a year.
    I completely believe this. I also have my own theory as to why it happens.

    Politicians have a need to put their stamp on everything, so that they can demonstrate how wonderful they are to the voters. Whether the existing program is a good one or not, doesn't matter. People don't get elected for being a care-taker of a good program, they get elected for "changing the broken system". This happens at every level... school board, city, county, state, and national.

    I believe that any true comprehensive reform cannot be fully and effectively analyzed for approximately a generation. But, because we keep changing course every few years, we never find out what really works and what does not. We might have actually had a fantastic program in place at one point, but we'll never know.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I know that seeing as the Federal Government is not given the power to meddle with education, and that allows the state to assume that power, the Constitution though does state that the Federal Government has the power to do things that will provide for the general welfare. Would you support such a measure to nationalize schools? Feel free to explain your vote!
    The US Postal Service has given me little confidence in the federal government running any important service related agency, especially one that operates essentially as a monopoly. Add TSA. I could list others.

    I'd be okay with the federal government running SOME schools but only as an option parents coud choose instead. Then if their is any power to choose offered parents, the same public school system runs all the schools from which they can choose. IMHO part of the disaster of the public school system is institutionalizing no choice for parents unless they're wealthy enough to afford private school tuition. I think the best solution would be offer a variety of options for families to choose. The federal government can offer their options along with the regular public school and private schools. All schools will try their hardest to be the best because they will want as many families as possible to pick them instead of other schools. Each parent gets a 100% of cost tax credit reimbursing them the cost of tuition.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •