View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #311
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    And my reply was that the federal government tends to think it's in the position to make the decisions that it isn't allowed to make. I never said that anyone in the federal government was a dictator...
    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    That the executive branch is taking a very dictatorial stance toward the states and the people... it's not Obama though, it's been happening since the 1920s.
    dictatorial:

    1a : of, relating to, or befitting a dictator <dictatorial power>
    b : ruled by a dictator
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #312
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    dictatorial:

    1a : of, relating to, or befitting a dictator
    b : ruled by a dictator
    Yes, I said that the executive branch has been acting very dictatorial lately, then cited an example of that behavior, your point?

    So, to translate, I said: the executive branch has been acting in a manner relating to a dictator, which they aren't, and have no right to do...
    Last edited by phishfi; 05-17-13 at 12:43 PM.

  3. #313
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    Yes, I said that the executive branch has been acting very dictatorial lately, then cited an example of that behavior, your point?
    What it was in the very first post you quoted: That conservative rhetoric often refers to the government in general and the POTUS in particular as dictators, whether it's explicitly or implicitly (as in your example) doesn't matter. Therefore, for someone to question what you mean when you say "the sovereign" does not call for ridicule. It's a valid question given the circumstances.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #314
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    What it was in the very first post you quoted: That conservative rhetoric often refers to the government in general and the POTUS in particular as dictators, whether it's explicitly or implicitly (as in your example) doesn't matter. Therefore, for someone to question what you mean when you say "the sovereign" does not call for ridicule. It's a valid question given the circumstances.
    I wasn't the one who brought up anything about the sovereign. You quoted someone else and then asked that question. Ain't replied to the question saying that you can't blame people for referring to the feds as being dictators because there's so many examples of dictatorial behavior!

  5. #315
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    I just want to pose a new idea into the discussion, what about federally funded but locally run schools? Not a standardization, just allow for more equal distribution of funds in the education system. Local government would still be allowed to add more onto the federally funded schools.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #316
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I just want to pose a new idea into the discussion, what about federally funded but locally run schools? Not a standardization, just allow for more equal distribution of funds in the education system. Local government would still be allowed to add more onto the federally funded schools.
    The biggest problem I see in that is that when someone else is paying the tab, people care less about how the money's spent. If the locals are the ones paying the tab, they'll fight for more efficient spending than if the checks just come from on high.

  7. #317
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    I wasn't the one who brought up anything about the sovereign. You quoted someone else and then asked that question. Ain't replied to the question saying that you can't blame people for referring to the feds as being dictators because there's so many examples of dictatorial behavior!
    Then you were agreeing with me in your original post?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #318
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    The biggest problem I see in that is that when someone else is paying the tab, people care less about how the money's spent. If the locals are the ones paying the tab, they'll fight for more efficient spending than if the checks just come from on high.
    When you've got a 2/3 stake in the company I'd say you have the best interests of the company in mind. IDK about all school districts but that's how much we pay into taxes for the schools in our area.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #319
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    The biggest problem I see in that is that when someone else is paying the tab, people care less about how the money's spent. If the locals are the ones paying the tab, they'll fight for more efficient spending than if the checks just come from on high.
    Fair enough.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  10. #320
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Then you were agreeing with me in your original post?
    I agree that people refer to Obama as a dictator. I don't blame them for it though, because the government is hooked on control lately.

Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •