View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #301
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I've heard many conservatives on this board declare Obama to be a "dictator", so it is not beyond reason to ask what YOU mean by the term "sovereign". Belittling someone who asks you that is the fault of your fellow conservatives. Though I wouldn't waste my time looking for a specific post where you called the POTUS a dictator, I suspect you've also used the term, at least indirectly or implied, and your post could have easily been mistaken in that light.
    It's not a tough argument to make when you have Eric Holder sending letters to states saying that the state law they just passed is unconstitutional even though the AG has no right to tell states they can't do something.

  2. #302
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Krasche View Post
    I love how anytime education is brought up the solution is always "Dump more money into it". The problem with our education system isn't that we don't put enough money into it, the main issue is it's too standardized. The teachers teach how to take the test, rather than the actual material on the damn test. But what do I know about how teachers teach I was only in High school a year ago. And there are alot of people like me who feel the same way, but nobody listens to us. That and the fact that you aren't going to get someone to learn who doesn't give a **** in the first place.
    When most of America's view of education is through the lens of the entire nation, you're going to be interested in gauging how the entire country performs (typically against other nations). When you have been concerned about the status of public education since the early 1980s, you'll be convinced that education is in a downfall, regardless of the limitations of such a view. As a result you want simple, easy to understand measurements that, on the surface, seem to measure exactly what you want without complications involved in the interpretation of said measurement. The easiest way to accomplish that task is to promote standardized tests, and to emphasize gains in test proficiency. This would have a side effect of "teaching to the test," because that's what you mostly want.

    Despite the protests of teaching to the test, I see few substantive alternatives to America's largely exaggerated fear of falling behind nationally. Hell, not even the libertarians are able to undermine this philosophy, because they are still framing everything nationally, nor are they promoting alternate means of assessment, despite their statements to the contrary.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #303
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    It's not a tough argument to make when you have Eric Holder sending letters to states saying that the state law they just passed is unconstitutional even though the AG has no right to tell states they can't do something.
    What isn't a tough argument to make?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #304
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Because bureaucrats in DC know better than teachers and parents on how to educate children. If NCLB taught us anything its that national govt is not about to divert away from the assembly line model.
    If anything, it's going to pick a model and stick to it... probably exactly like it is now but with more standards.

  5. #305
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    What isn't a tough argument to make?
    That the executive branch is taking a very dictatorial stance toward the states and the people... it's not Obama though, it's been happening since the 1920s.

  6. #306
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    That the executive branch is taking a very dictatorial stance toward the states and the people... it's not Obama though, it's been happening since the 1920s.
    You've just admitted it's common practice to use the term "sovereign" or similar terms to refer to the POTUS in particular or the government in general, so why belittle someone who asks what you mean when you say "sovereign"? How can you expect them to know you mean "the people" THIS time when you meant the Pres or the administration the last time???
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 05-17-13 at 10:31 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #307
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You've just admitted it's common practice to use the term "sovereign" or similar terms to refer to the POTUS in particular or the government in general, so why belittle someone who asks what you mean when you say "sovereign"? How can you expect them to know you mean "the people" THIS time when you meant the Pres or the administration the last time???
    What! I didn't say anything referring to the potus as sovereign. I didn't belittle anyone's comments about it either.

    I think you're confusing me with someone else.

  8. #308
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    What! I didn't say anything referring to the potus as sovereign. I didn't belittle anyone's comments about it either.

    I think you're confusing me with someone else.
    This is the post to which you first replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I've heard many conservatives on this board declare Obama to be a "dictator", so it is not beyond reason to ask what YOU mean by the term "sovereign". Belittling someone who asks what you mean is not the fault of the poster but of your fellow conservatives, and most likely yourself, because of the rhetoric you (pl.) use in many threads. Your post could have easily been (mis)interpreted in that light.
    FYI - A dictator is a sovereign:

    1a : one possessing or held to possess supreme political power or sovereignty


    If you're not commenting on or referring to this post then why did you quote it???
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 05-17-13 at 11:16 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    09-02-13 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,208

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Ah yes because when only an elite few are allowed to be educated nothing bad ever happens.
    That's not the case, education today (especially home school) is cheap and easily available thanks to the internet. Anyone can afford to educate their children, and for the tiny, tiny minority that can't seem to get their **** together, we can help them with private charity.

    For more see the effects of favouritism in education in regards to post colonial countries.

    Where only one tribal group or social elites get education... tends to turn out quite badly.
    You are confusing schooling with education. What If Public Schools Were Abolished? - Llewellyn H. Rockwell Jr. - Mises Daily

    The modern school was designed by Prussia to create productive little citizens who could either pay taxes or fight in wars. Obedience and discipline. Education is not the goal and it never was.

    If we are truly interested in educating the youth then we need to get rid of the schooling paradigm.

    What If Public Schools Were Abolished? - Llewellyn H. Rockwell Jr. - Mises Daily

  10. #310
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    This is the post to which you first replied: FYI - A dictator is a sovereign:

    1a : one possessing or held to possess supreme political power or sovereignty


    If you're not commenting on or referring to this post then why did you quote it???
    And my reply was that the federal government tends to think it's in the position to make the decisions that it isn't allowed to make. I never said that anyone in the federal government was a dictator...

Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •