View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #281
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    It's also hilarious, to me, that there's local ordinances, then state/federal. Local cops, then state/federal. Local laws, then state/federal. Local taxes, then state/federal. Local property regulations, then state/federal. Local zoning, then state/federal. Local roads, then state/federal. But you won't admit that schools still operate in the same manner as every other government entity.

  2. #282
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    So Americans shouldn't have opinions on politics because we aren't all politicians. None of us should have any say in what electronics to buy because we aren't electronics professionals. I cited a nationally referenced source, which stated exactly what locally controlled schools were (which by the way is a very simple term anyways), and you don't consider that a good enough source, yet your source, which off-handedly referenced local control (a state's opinion, and a document that didn't have anything to do with defining state or local roles in education) and all of the sudden that's an end all of the discussion.

    You're an incredible hypocrite...
    Calling me names does not rectify your inability to learn about a common term used in education by professionals in the field.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #283
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Calling me names does not rectify your inability to learn about a common term used in education by professionals in the field.
    Just because I'm not a teacher doesn't mean I don't know plenty. A college professor today told me he would consider"local" to mean county or school district specifically dictating their own standards. An Ohio teacher (high school physics) said the system they are stuck with (Ohio standardized test requirements and minimum curriculum requirements is "anything but 'local'" in his mind).

    I love the switch to this whole "high and mighty" argument, now that you know you're the only teacher talking here, but you're still not right...

  4. #284
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    Just because I'm not a teacher doesn't mean I don't know plenty. A college professor today told me he would consider"local" to mean county or school district specifically dictating their own standards. An Ohio teacher (high school physics) said the system they are stuck with (Ohio standardized test requirements and minimum curriculum requirements is "anything but 'local'" in his mind).

    I love the switch to this whole "high and mighty" argument, now that you know you're the only teacher talking here, but you're still not right...
    I give you a 40 page study from Minnesota which identifies the system we have been talking about as LOCAL CONTROL. This was linked to. This was quoted from. This was cited.

    You claim you talked to two people.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #285
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,388

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    Just because I'm not a teacher doesn't mean I don't know plenty. A college professor today told me he would consider"local" to mean county or school district specifically dictating their own standards. An Ohio teacher (high school physics) said the system they are stuck with (Ohio standardized test requirements and minimum curriculum requirements is "anything but 'local'" in his mind).

    I love the switch to this whole "high and mighty" argument, now that you know you're the only teacher talking here, but you're still not right...
    You are wasting your time. Here are some things to think about:

    1. Teachers teach and you are not a teacher; therefore, you are the learner and need to listen to what the teacher says. You will always be wrong until the teacher tells you that you are correct.
    2. Those who can't do, teach.
    3. Government is the answer, it doesn't matter what the question is.

    Have a nice day.

  6. #286
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Because you are an outsider in the filed of professional education, you do not understand the terminology used in the field.
    This is a lazy argument and I think you can do better. You don't have to work in a field to have an opinion on it or to process information logically.

    That would be like me trumping you on every conversation about whether or not we should be at war, all because I've been there and you haven't.

  7. #287
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    This is a lazy argument and I think you can do better. You don't have to work in a field to have an opinion on it or to process information logically.

    That would be like me trumping you on every conversation about whether or not we should be at war, all because I've been there and you haven't.
    Yeah I'm kinda blown away by the thought of someone making an argument like that, personally. Then when I do reference people in the field of education, it's only two people so I'm still wrong... whatever, I'm done arguing this point because it's irrelevant to a debate on nationalizing our education system

  8. #288
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    So Americans shouldn't have opinions on politics because we aren't all politicians. None of us should have any say in what electronics to buy because we aren't electronics professionals. I cited a nationally referenced source, which stated exactly what locally controlled schools were (which by the way is a very simple term anyways), and you don't consider that a good enough source, yet your source, which off-handedly referenced local control (a state's opinion, and a document that didn't have anything to do with defining state or local roles in education) and all of the sudden that's an end all of the discussion.

    You're an incredible hypocrite...
    But we don't have much say in that - the EE's that design the stuff we buy make those decisions.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #289
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Really!? Who is empowered to do that if not the Supreme Court?
    I suppose that would be the sovereign.

  10. #290
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    This is a lazy argument and I think you can do better. You don't have to work in a field to have an opinion on it or to process information logically.

    That would be like me trumping you on every conversation about whether or not we should be at war, all because I've been there and you haven't.
    The fact is that the person in question clearly rejects common terms used in the filed of education and my link to the Minnesota report in which they use the term LOCAL CONTROL as I have been using it clearly demonstrates this.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •