View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #261
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    This is a discussion of education- not the term as used in the Air Force. As Robert DeNiro said in THE DEERHUNTER..... "This is this, this isn't something else, this is this."
    And obviously you're acting this way to skip the fact that I've proved my point. The state of Michigan exercises the centralized control, decentralized executed model with respect to education...

  2. #262
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,609

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    This is a discussion of education - not the term used in THE DEERHUNTER.....
    The term WAS NOT used in THE DEERHUNTER. why would you think it was? Your response make no sense.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #263
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,609

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    And obviously you're acting this way to skip the fact that I've proved my point. The state of Michigan exercises the centralized control, decentralized executed model with respect to education...
    You are missing the point as provided in independent evidence I presented that the term LOCAL CONTROL refers to the state system as employed in Michigan and many other states.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #264
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You are missing the point as provided in independent evidence I presented that the term LOCAL CONTROL refers to the state system as employed in Michigan and many other states.
    No, you referred to a washington state document about their education system...

    The DEFINITION of Local Control:

    Local districts, rather than the state, independently make decisions on policies regarding curriculum and its compliance to state..

    According to the Northwest Educational Technology Consortium

    There is STATE, there is FEDERAL, and then there is LOCAL... Three separate entities. You're trying to combine two for some reason, just to mix two terms and start some ridiculously off-topic garbage. It's pointless, but I'm going ahead and playing the game, because it's easy to point the fallacy.

  5. #265
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,609

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    No, you referred to a washington state document about their education system...
    Which describes a system of LOCAL CONTROL being state constitutional authority which is then administered and carried out through cities, towns and villages in school districts run through locally elected school boards. Just like we have in Michigan.

    There is STATE, there is FEDERAL, and then there is LOCAL... Three separate entities. You're trying to combine two for some reason, just to mix two terms and start some ridiculously off-topic garbage. It's pointless, but I'm going ahead and playing the game, because it's easy to point the fallacy.
    I already told you just that. Why are you repeating it back to me? Words have different meanings and in this case LOCAL as in LOCAL CONTROL does also. You are simply repeating what you already said and independent verifiable evidence shows that the term LOCAL CONTROL as it applies to educational systems is being used correctly by me in this thread.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #266
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Which describes a system of LOCAL CONTROL being state constitutional authority which is then administered and carried out through cities, towns and villages in school districts run through locally elected school boards. Just like we have in Michigan.



    I already told you just that. Why are you repeating it back to me? Words have different meanings and in this case LOCAL as in LOCAL CONTROL does also. You are simply repeating what you already said and independent verifiable evidence shows that the term LOCAL CONTROL as it applies to educational systems is being used correctly by me in this thread.
    The individual school districts are not allowed to stray from the state's standards or procedures. Therefore, the state is in control of all things public education related. The districts simply execute what the state dictates. That is NOT local control, it's state control.

  7. #267
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    This thread got boring fast. The Feds always look at anyone but them as local. Of course, those at the state level always look at the municipalities as local.

    I've never seen a conversation that involved Federal, State and local where the local meant the State.

  8. #268
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,609

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by phishfi View Post
    The individual school districts are not allowed to stray from the state's standards or procedures. Therefore, the state is in control of all things public education related. The districts simply execute what the state dictates. That is NOT local control, it's state control.
    You are using the term differently. As per the structure of Washington state and the state of Michigan and many other states, a system of state Constitutional authority over education administered through a network of districts with elected school boards is knows as LOCAL CONTROL.

    Again, from the previously cited Washington state report on education in their state

    How are public schools in Washington organized?
    Washington is largely considered a “local control” state. This means that local school districts are generally responsible for delivering the actual instructional programs for the state’s elementary and secondary school-age population. Each district is governed by a locally-elected school board whose members serve staggered four-year terms. Each school board hires a Superintendent who oversees the day-to-day operation of the school district. Currently, there are a total of 295 school districts.
    The term is used the same way that I have used it in this discussion.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #269
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You are using the term differently. As per the structure of Washington state and the state of Michigan and many other states, a system of state Constitutional authority over education administered through a network of districts with elected school boards is knows as LOCAL CONTROL.

    Again, from the previously cited Washington state report on education in their state



    The term is used the same way that I have used it in this discussion.
    The local districts don't control anything. All they do is administer the education standards passed to then from the stat government. You're changing the way this is looked at just to fit your argument, which is irrelevant anyways.

    Let me ask you this: if there was a state that didn't make any state level decisions on education, and specifically prohibited he federal government from funding any education ventures in their state, and left all education matters to the counties or municipalities of its state, what would you call that system?

  10. #270
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-16 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Posts
    210

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post

    I've never seen a conversation that involved Federal, State and local where the local meant the State.
    Thank you! About time someone else weighed on on this! I feel like I'm bashing my head into a brick wall hoping the wall will give (if only I enjoyed it, I'd make a great Marine!!)

Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •