View Poll Results: Nationalize Schools?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 16.84%
  • No

    70 73.68%
  • Other

    9 9.47%
Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 545

Thread: Nationalizing the Education System

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Doesn't seem to be working in American healthcare that's for sure.
    What's wrong with American healthcare?

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,307
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What's wrong with American healthcare?
    Do you live in an alternate dimension or something?

    To even ask that question shows a complete lack of awareness of current events.

  3. #13
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    I will see your:

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    and raise you a:

    Nationalizing the Education System-easy-breezy-beautiful-clever-girl-jpg

  4. #14
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    American schools consistently score below where we would like them to, and why is that? Could it be, partly, because our classroom sizes are too large, our teachers are under-trained, and the teachers unions make it nearly impossible to operate with any kind of efficiency?
    How would privatisation solve those issues? Classrooms would be larger for more profit, teacher qualification requirements could go down, to maximise profit, and the union could still be a pain in the arse.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Do you live in an alternate dimension or something?

    To even ask that question shows a complete lack of awareness of current events.
    No, I actually live in America, and participate in the American healthcare system. Unlike you.

    But you're right, what the hell do I know.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    How would privatisation solve those issues? Classrooms would be larger for more profit, teacher qualification requirements could go down, to maximise profit, and the union could still be a pain in the arse.
    More choice. If you don't like a given school, say because classroom sizes are inadequate or you believe the teachers are unqualified, you simply pull your kid out of that school and put them in a better one.

    Kind of like changing lanes when you're driving your car.... if you don't like the lane you're in, switch to a better one and get where you're going faster.

    Competitive pressure would mean that schools would fight with each other to be the best... all to society's benefit.

  7. #17
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    More choice. If you don't like a given school, say because classroom sizes are inadequate or you believe the teachers are unqualified, you simply pull your kid out of that school and put them in a better one.

    Kind of like changing lanes when you're driving your car.... if you don't like the lane you're in, switch to a better one and get where you're going faster.

    Competitive pressure would mean that schools would fight with each other to be the best... all to society's benefit.
    Until you get the Walmart of schools. Not to mention market forces would ensure poor areas get ****ty schools, and so the poor would stay poor. I'll admit government schools don't do much better in that area, but at least there's the potential for improvement.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #18
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    I'll be ready for this thread in coming days
    I'm tired from helping chaperone our high school's prom tonight.
    Several admins and teachers will be there all night.
    My 33 years teaching Chem/physics, 30 in Illinois and 3 in Iowa,
    should provide diversity. As will the semester I'm doing in a Northeast
    state right now.
    Some states like this one have towns that only have private schools.
    However, there is a state law requiring these towns to take in public kids
    within town borders.
    This state has school choice. Unfortunately for the chosen school, the state
    aid does not follow the student.
    As my Air Force Dad would say, we have 50 buckets of **it.
    Though I have heard great things about New York state.
    I am normally fiercely against state's rights.
    However, one of Kennedy's two horrendous legacies was his agreement
    with Bush on NCLB.
    As a retired teacher who is now back for a maximum of one
    semester a year, I can assure you we are doing our best.
    How do you feel about high schoolers averaging 23,000 text messages
    per month? How easy do you think it is to stop them from texting in class.
    Most on this thread will be part of the problem instead of the solution because
    you offer zero knowledgeable specific solutions.
    Instead, it will be the same canned complaints.

    You can start with the new laws. Common-Core, highly-qualified, next generation.
    Then there is the ACT, SAT, regional tests like the NECAP that Maine opted out of
    in science, state tests, and states with exemptions to tests so they
    don't lose Federal monies tied to NCLB.

    And now we're heading into electronic portfolios for each kid which I personally liken
    to an IEP/504 for each kid. More layers of fat.
    One program I do like is FLBA and reaching certified in as many levels of
    of Microsoft as possible along with internships here.
    College internships have always been awesome but they are now entering the high schools.

    Good Night.
    Last edited by NIMBY; 05-12-13 at 01:55 AM.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I'll be ready for this thread in coming days
    I'm tired from helping chaperone our high school's prom tonight.
    Several admins and teachers will be there all night.
    My 33 years teaching Chem/physics, 30 in Illinois and 3 in Iowa,
    should provide diversity. As will the semester I'm doing in a Northeast
    state right now.
    Some states like this one have towns that only have private schools.
    However, there is a state law requiring these towns to take in public kids
    within town borders.
    This state had school choice. Unfortunately for the chosen school, the state
    aid does not follow the student.
    As my Air Force Dad would say, we have 50 buckets of **it.
    Though I have heard great things about New York state.
    I am normally fiercely against state's rights.
    However, one of Kennedy's two horrendous legacies was his agreement
    with Bush on NCLB.
    As a retired teacher who is now back for a maximum of one
    semester a year, I can assure you we are doing our best.
    How do you feel about high schoolers averaging 23,000 text messages
    per month? How easy do you think it is to stop them from texting in class.
    Most on this thread will be part of the problem instead of the solution because
    you offer zero knowledgeable specific solutions.
    Instead, it will be the same canned complaints.

    You can start with the new laws. Common-Core, highly-qualified, next generation.
    Then there is the ACT, SAT, regional tests like the NECAP that Maine opted out of
    in science, state tests, and states with exemptions to tests so they
    don't lose Federal monies tied to NCLB.

    And noe we're heading into electronic portfolios for each kid which I personally liken
    to an IEP/504 for each kid. More layers of fat.
    One program I do like is FLBA and necking certified in as many levels of
    of Microsoft ad possible along with intervening here.
    College internecine have always been awesome nut they are noe entering the high schools.

    Good Night.
    I will say this: I am glad you are a "chem/physics" teacher and not an English teacher. Still, reading (or attempting to read) what you've written sends chills down my spine. Is it any wonder so many of our kids can't adequately express themselves in written form?

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Nationalizing the Education System

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Until you get the Walmart of schools. Not to mention market forces would ensure poor areas get ****ty schools, and so the poor would stay poor. I'll admit government schools don't do much better in that area, but at least there's the potential for improvement.
    We have plenty of run-down schools today. Poor areas have ****ty schools today. This is reality. Our bad public schools are abysmal, our good public schools are mediocre. At what point have the American people had enough?

    Public schooling is a black hole that sucks up funding and gives us very little return. It's time to shake up the system with some fresh ideas.

    It's time to take the best part of America - our ingenuity, our enterprising attitude and our pluck - and put that to work creating a privatized school system that caters to everyone.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •