View Poll Results: Dean 2016?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • He'll try; I won't support him.

    1 4.17%
  • He'll try; I'd be willing to support him.

    7 29.17%
  • He won't run, but I wish he would.

    6 25.00%
  • He won't run, Thank God.

    5 20.83%
  • Does his sausage taste as good as his brother Jimmy's does?

    5 20.83%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: Howard Dean in 2016

  1. #51
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sure....but it wasn't the factor that caused people to vote for him. I doubt highly that even 1/100th of 1% voted for him because he was black. To say so is just silly.
    I think you are underestimating the role it played, especially when it came to bringing out hitherto untapped voters. Just as a thought experiment: Do you think a white candidate with a white name and Obama's background would have whipped up the same level of excitement and voter turnout especially in crucial minority strongholds and college aged voters? I personally have a hard time believing that, especially when matched against Hillary Clinton. Being black allowed his campaign to underscore a tremendous narrative that would not have resonated nearly as much had he been white.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL.....ok.....1 person out of how many million?
    LOL.... that's STILL one person, and a fairly influential person at that, which trashes your original argument about my comment not being based in reality. Samuel L's comments were very significant in that he was voicing what most libs were already thinking. You'd have to be a complete Harry Reid airhead to not see that. Are you a Harry Reid airhead, disneydude?

  3. #53
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I think you are underestimating the role it played, especially when it came to bringing out hitherto untapped voters. Just as a thought experiment: Do you think a white candidate with a white name and Obama's background would have whipped up the same level of excitement and voter turnout especially in crucial minority strongholds and college aged voters? I personally have a hard time believing that, especially when matched against Hillary Clinton. Being black allowed his campaign to underscore a tremendous narrative that would not have resonated nearly as much had he been white.
    I think he got elected for a a few of reasons:

    1)because his name wasn't Bush or Clinton.

    2) He was relatively unknown by most people.

    3) Bush had pretty much made people tired of Republicans at the time.

    4) The birther movement.

    5) The best the GOP could come up with was McCain and Palin.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  4. #54
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I think you are underestimating the role it played, especially when it came to bringing out hitherto untapped voters. Just as a thought experiment: Do you think a white candidate with a white name and Obama's background would have whipped up the same level of excitement and voter turnout especially in crucial minority strongholds and college aged voters? I personally have a hard time believing that, especially when matched against Hillary Clinton. Being black allowed his campaign to underscore a tremendous narrative that would not have resonated nearly as much had he been white.
    Some of what you say is true...but you are over-estimating the role that it played. There is no indication that Obama caused so much excitement that cause large numbers of untapped voters to register and vote. I would say that it had more to do with his youth and his charisma than it had anything to do with his skin color. Obama generated excitement among young voters because he wasn't a boring old guy and spoke to them. It wasn't his skin color that did that.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #55
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    LOL.... that's STILL one person, and a fairly influential person at that, which trashes your original argument about my comment not being based in reality. Samuel L's comments were very significant in that he was voicing what most libs were already thinking. You'd have to be a complete Harry Reid airhead to not see that. Are you a Harry Reid airhead, disneydude?

    Sorry...but one person does not support your asinine comment. You are grasping at straws and doing acrobats to try to extrapolate a point that you cannot prove....because it is a silly thesis that does not exist outside of your right-wing propoganda. Sorry...but once again and epic failure on your part.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #56
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Duane Swierczynski trying to run for office.
    I have no idea who that is, but he has my vote. About time we had someone with an unpronounceable Polish name in the White House.

  7. #57
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Howard Dean 2016? Hmm. I am conflicted. Tempted to say yes - because I certainly want Democrats to lose.
    But wouldn't it mean that Republicans win? Damn.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
    I think he got elected for a a few of reasons:

    1)because his name wasn't Bush or Clinton.

    2) He was relatively unknown by most people.

    3) Bush had pretty much made people tired of Republicans at the time.

    4) The birther movement.

    5) The best the GOP could come up with was McCain and Palin.
    I agree with most of what you said. Voters being tired of the Republicans and a bummed out economy as it was, the GOP probably could have ran Lincoln and still lost. In 2008, I think McCain was probably the Republicans best choice, although that best meant relative little and Palin was the wrong candidate for VP which hurt an already weak candidacy even more. The promise of change and cooperation between the two parties coming from Obama was enough for him to win the independents and cement the election.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry...but one person does not support your asinine comment. You are grasping at straws and doing acrobats to try to extrapolate a point that you cannot prove....because it is a silly thesis that does not exist outside of your right-wing propoganda. Sorry...but once again and epic failure on your part.
    I guess I could keep responding to your vacuous comments, but I'm not going to do that anymore. You and I both know who is wrong, and it's not me. That's all that really matters.

    Kudos to you for keeping my attention this long.
    Last edited by Dooble; 05-14-13 at 12:46 AM.

  10. #60
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Howard Dean in 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    LOL.... that's STILL one person, and a fairly influential person at that, which trashes your original argument about my comment not being based in reality. Samuel L's comments were very significant in that he was voicing what most libs were already thinking. You'd have to be a complete Harry Reid airhead to not see that. Are you a Harry Reid airhead, disneydude?
    And some people voted for McCain/Romney because he was white. Yeah, sure there are plenty of folks who voted Obama purely on the color of his skin.

    McCain lost because he was a Republican coming out of the Bush years. ANY Republican would have had a seriously hard time purely because of the R after their name. After the Bush Debacle Years, the Democrats could have run Dick Gephardt and stand a good chance at winning. You are placing way too much emphasis on Obama's skin color rather than the horrid chances at a Republican for the Office Of the Presidency had in 2007-2008.

    Romney lost the election for a large numbers of reasons.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •