View Poll Results: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are incompetent and/or stupid.

    5 17.86%
  • No, they are not incompetent and/or stupid.

    8 28.57%
  • In some ways yes, in some ways no.

    10 35.71%
  • Other. (Please elaborate)

    5 17.86%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    they are just clever
    Their "cleverness" helps make America look incompetent & stupid.

  2. #22
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,448
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    You paint it as a grand conspiracy, where they are keeping you down, when in fact all it is is governing reality. You don't get what you want because it is difficult to get all you want. The small things are easy to debate, easier to understand, easier to come to resolutions on. They don't sit there and plot about how to control you, there's no congregation meetings, no Pinkie and the Brain sessions. It's just politics as we make it to be.
    I'm too lazy to look it up but I think that intrigue and manipulation are part of what 'politics' is.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    I hear this a lot. Shoot, I've even been known to say it myself. But, when I slow down and think about what it is they do, and how they do it, and why they do it, I honestly cannot come to that conclusion. In fact, I think they're brilliant. Evilly brilliant. Masterful in deception. Opportunists of the highest degree.

    Bottom line: Politicians play us like the proverbial fiddle. And we keep falling for it. Yeah, we piss and moan and complain, then go out and re-elect the same ones over and over again. They know we're not happy, but they also know where the line is that they cannot cross that might actually spur us to action. They do enough to give us a comfortable life, so we get more upset over Twinkies disappearing from store shelves than we do from the outright theft of civil asset forfeiture (as just one example).

    Yes, there are some of us who see through it. Unfortunately, we're such a small percentage that we're pretty much disregarded.

    We're suckers. They know it. They leverage that fact to their benefit. We let them. If anybody is stupid and/or incompetent, it is us.

    Note: Most references to "we" and "us" are meant to be generic for society overall. Not any one specific person.
    I don't think most of them are brilliant at all. Just think about some of the things they say. Here's just one quote of many to demonstrate.

    Congressman Hank Johnson on Guam: "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize,"

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    You paint it as a grand conspiracy, where they are keeping you down, when in fact all it is is governing reality. You don't get what you want because it is difficult to get all you want. The small things are easy to debate, easier to understand, easier to come to resolutions on. They don't sit there and plot about how to control you, there's no congregation meetings, no Pinkie and the Brain sessions. It's just politics as we make it to be.
    Hmmm. Funny you should say that. If they don't want to control us, explain the tax on Big Gulps then . . . among other ridiculous taxes to try to "control" our behavior.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have long held the belief that the vast majority of people who go into politics do so for honest and noble reasons. Then, for whatever reason, most of them end up getting "corrupted" (for lack of a better word). They lose sight of why they went in.

    I think the easiest way to observe this is to watch a city council person evolve from their first days to having been in for a few years. What the people want, or what might be best for the city doesn't seem nearly as important. What city staff and/or other council members want is.
    I think the reasons why people go into politics varies. A lot of them are from families of politicians and that's just what's expected of them. I think some of them are actually born and bred to be politicians.

  6. #26
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,654

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I'm too lazy to look it up but I think that intrigue and manipulation are part of what 'politics' is.
    Within reason, yes.

    Hmmm. Funny you should say that. If they don't want to control us, explain the tax on Big Gulps then . . . among other ridiculous taxes to try to "control" our behavior.
    All, also to a matter of degree. Radcen attaches quite a bit more to it than such simple measures.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #27
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I agree whole heartily. Only a bunch of stupid and incompetent voters would keep sending the very same people back to Washington who have gotten this nation into the serious problems it faces today. You are correct, politicians, the political parties know exactly how to play us like a fiddle.

    The political parties have us voters right where they wants us and we do not realize it. The politicians pull the strings, we as puppets dance.
    Good evening, Pero.

    May the best PR smear outfit win! Why is this? Are people too uninvolved in politics today to care, as long as the person they choose has the "D" or "R" identifying which party they are? You're right, Pero. The party has become more important that the Country...at all levels of government! And judging by what it costs to run for an office today, whoever is elected owes lots of favors to his backers, too...also at all levels of government! Voters only legitimize the election process, or we wouldn't be needed at all! :

  8. #28
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    All, also to a matter of degree. Radcen attaches quite a bit more to it than such simple measures.
    I might be reading more into it than is there. Then again, I think you're rationalizing and apologizing (for lack of a better word) for their actions and intent than is actually happening. Maybe reality is somewhere in the middle.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #29
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Regardless, you voted for them, so live with it. They can't please everyone. The whining goes on.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Regardless, you voted for them, so live with it. They can't please everyone. The whining goes on.
    I hate when people say this. We didn't all vote for all of them. I have no control over how people in California vote.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •