View Poll Results: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are incompetent and/or stupid.

    5 17.86%
  • No, they are not incompetent and/or stupid.

    8 28.57%
  • In some ways yes, in some ways no.

    10 35.71%
  • Other. (Please elaborate)

    5 17.86%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

  1. #11
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    We've had decades of direct observation which shows that putting business people at the helm does not yield good policy for the long-term health of the nation, in most areas.

    I would also like to see more middle class people in politics, instead of plutocrats.
    I have long held the belief that the vast majority of people who go into politics do so for honest and noble reasons. Then, for whatever reason, most of them end up getting "corrupted" (for lack of a better word). They lose sight of why they went in.

    I think the easiest way to observe this is to watch a city council person evolve from their first days to having been in for a few years. What the people want, or what might be best for the city doesn't seem nearly as important. What city staff and/or other council members want is.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,909

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have long held the belief that the vast majority of people who go into politics do so for honest and noble reasons. Then, for whatever reason, most of them end up getting "corrupted" (for lack of a better word). They lose sight of why they went in.

    I think the easiest way to observe this is to watch a city council person evolve from their first days to having been in for a few years. What the people want, or what might be best for the city doesn't seem nearly as important. What city staff and/or other council members want is.
    Even almighty angels can be corrupted.

  3. #13
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,646

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Politicians aren't stupid, they're usually quite clever in how they manipulate people. The problem is that most politicians are lawyers or business people. If we had more historians in politics we would live in a much better world.
    I don't believe so. While historians can contribute, and have good insights, that does not mean that there isn't good reason for why we are predominantly focused on the law. Nor would it prevent us from stating that a historian could also have many failures in political action(for the longest while, that was a common argument about Wilson). Historians weren't particularly distraught to report that the United States has always been dominated by lawyers and that our focus on law defines us as a people. There's also a skepticism about the extension of the past into the present or the future. Many historians tend to be...reluctant, to ascribe special status to their skills and insights for direct and total application in times of need.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 05-11-13 at 05:18 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    My experience has been that politicians are generally very incompetent at their job.

    Their level of intelligence can vary wildly. I think Obama is VERY intelligent...but he is clearly incompetent at his job (as GWB was before him...incompetent, I mean; not sure how bright he is).

    But almost all of them (90+% IMO) are incompetent and/or corrupt.


    However, the masses put them there...so the ultimate fault is there own.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    They are stupid and incompetent. But people believe them because they are in a position of "authority". Until we start looking at all politicians as our servants, because that is what they, we will never have a better political class.

  6. #16
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,954

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I don't believe so. While historians can contribute, and have good insights, that does not mean that there isn't good reason for why we are predominantly focused on the law. Nor would it prevent us from stating that a historian could also have many failures in political action(for the longest while, that was a common argument about Wilson). Historians weren't particularly distraught to report that the United States has always been dominated by lawyers and that our focus on law defines us as a people. There's also a skepticism about the extension of the past into the present or the future. Many historians tend to be...reluctant, to ascribe special status to their skills and insights for direct and total application in times of need.
    I don't think it has to be either/or, just that the lawyers and business people have dominated the political scene for far too long. I would like to see more historians and scientists joining the ranks.

    All of the pitfalls of certain historians that you mention could be remedied by ensuring the right historians end up in politics.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    05-11-13 @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    All of them are a combo of both, however there are some that have a brain of their own but it gets corrupted by the privilege of power and lots of money.

  8. #18
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Depends on the politician.

    Also, I think that career politicians tend to get worse (generally) over time.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    My experience has been that politicians are generally very incompetent at their job.

    Their level of intelligence can vary wildly. I think Obama is VERY intelligent...but he is clearly incompetent at his job (as GWB was before him...incompetent, I mean; not sure how bright he is).

    But almost all of them (90+% IMO) are incompetent and/or corrupt.

    However, the masses put them there...so the ultimate fault is there own.
    I wouldn't equate incompetence and corruptness. In fact, to be successfully corrupt, one has to be competent... just with illicit intent.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are politicians stupid and/or incompetent?

    I hear this a lot. Shoot, I've even been known to say it myself. But, when I slow down and think about what it is they do, and how they do it, and why they do it, I honestly cannot come to that conclusion. In fact, I think they're brilliant. Evilly brilliant. Masterful in deception. Opportunists of the highest degree.

    Bottom line: Politicians play us like the proverbial fiddle. And we keep falling for it. Yeah, we piss and moan and complain, then go out and re-elect the same ones over and over again. They know we're not happy, but they also know where the line is that they cannot cross that might actually spur us to action. They do enough to give us a comfortable life, so we get more upset over Twinkies disappearing from store shelves than we do from the outright theft of civil asset forfeiture (as just one example).

    Yes, there are some of us who see through it. Unfortunately, we're such a small percentage that we're pretty much disregarded.

    We're suckers. They know it. They leverage that fact to their benefit. We let them. If anybody is stupid and/or incompetent, it is us.

    Note: Most references to "we" and "us" are meant to be generic for society overall. Not any one specific person.
    I agree whole heartily. Only a bunch of stupid and incompetent voters would keep sending the very same people back to Washington who have gotten this nation into the serious problems it faces today. You are correct, politicians, the political parties know exactly how to play us like a fiddle.

    The political parties have us voters right where they wants us and we do not realize it. The politicians pull the strings, we as puppets dance.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •