View Poll Results: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Be Federal Law?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I should be protected under Federal Law to be a Man and defend me and mine.

    17 70.83%
  • No, I'm a coward who should be made to run and hide.

    7 29.17%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 139

Thread: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    I keep a loaded gun in nearly every room in my house, some may call that paranoid I call it being prepared.

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You'd be surprised how many liberals I see that would give him the benefit of the doubt. A criminal. Benefit of the doubt.

    Is it just me, or do those two things simply not belong together?


    You are correct, they do not. And this is another reason why self-defense laws should be fairly liberal. ("Liberal" in the original sense of favoring liberty).

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #53
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    1. Don't know you that well, couldn't tell if you were throwing a mock out there...
    2. Thank you
    3. I think we can all agree in common sense implementation. However common sense isn't winning the day in our government and evidence to that fact is that if it was then there wouldn't need to be any laws of this nature on the books in the first place. The fact that they are tells me that their are some down right imbeciles who are promoting an agenda that tells you to run and hide, to not resist aggression and to basically allow yourself to be robbed and or get your ass kicked if not murdered.

    The wording of such laws would have to be taken under considerable consideration but there is a movement to prevent people, to make law abiding citizens culpable for reacting to crimes committed against them.
    I agree some of the loops and holes people want you to jump through just to protect yourself is crazy.

    and on a side note like i said early, open carry should be national and so should my CWP be national. Conceal Weapons permit. It should be recognized everywhere just like my drivers license.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    You are correct, they do not. And this is another reason why self-defense laws should be fairly liberal. ("Liberal" in the original sense of favoring liberty).
    And, of course, common sense should play a part. If you come across a homeowner who has never run afoul of the law, and a dead man at his front step that, upon a police search, has a sheet as long as his arm...you can kind of put the pieces together, tell the man to get some Ajax and to have a good night.

    However, with our judicial system, it's never that simple. I'd go into why, but I think there'd be a few cards played by other posters that I really don't want to elaborate on.

  5. #55
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    And, of course, common sense should play a part. If you come across a homeowner who has never run afoul of the law, and a dead man at his front step that, upon a police search, has a sheet as long as his arm...you can kind of put the pieces together, tell the man to get some Ajax and to have a good night.

    However, with our judicial system, it's never that simple. I'd go into why, but I think there'd be a few cards played by other posters that I really don't want to elaborate on.
    So a homeowner should be allowed to kill another man, just because he has a rap sheet?

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    So a homeowner should be allowed to kill another man, just because he has a rap sheet?
    Nice leap of logic. Care to try again?

    It's called "benefit of the doubt" for a reason. You can do a LexisNexis search while he ponders killing you.

  7. #57
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Didn't mean you. You're not quite at that level. However, it sounds as if you're just wanting to establish federal law to make SYG pretty lax and encompassing - to a point where you could create a moral hazard of sorts.

    I believe in SYG, but I don't want it to be a "can't touch me" law when you shout it. We already have that with often-abused legislature like Affirmative Action. Damned if I keep quiet about more of it.
    I'm just trying to make a point that there needs to be a law on the books that prevent law enforcement officials and the judiciary from preventing, restricting, advising against, or suggesting that people NOT protect themselves (through laws, statutes, guidelines, et al) and instead wait for the people who have no obligation TO protect them to show up.

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    I have to smile watching a self described extreme state righter advocate for a federal law on what he feels is an Individual right...

    Especially when States are lining up to nullify Federal law. It seems some want Federal Intervention when it suits them, decries an overreaching government when it 'dictates' to the states.

    I would have thought a Constitutional amendment at the very least. Though much better would be a court ruling that Individuals have the right to self defense in their home and if threatened with bodily harm out in public- would be interesting to see if requiring CCWs and the like are a State's Right to administer.

    I am a firm believer in self defense, however SYG is political posturing.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    I'm just trying to make a point that there needs to be a law on the books that prevent law enforcement officials and the judiciary from preventing, restricting, advising against, or suggesting that people NOT protect themselves (through laws, statutes, guidelines, et al) and instead wait for the people who have no obligation TO protect them to show up.
    Strictly from that position, I wholeheartedly agree. However, there still has to be due diligence done in situations where this blanket is being used. It takes more than a 30 second search of the immediate premises, a tip of the hat by the local sheriff, and a drive back to the station with little to no paperwork.

  10. #60
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground Laws Be Federal Law [W18]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    I agree some of the loops and holes people want you to jump through just to protect yourself is crazy.

    and on a side note like i said early, open carry should be national and so should my CWP be national. Conceal Weapons permit. It should be recognized everywhere just like my drivers license.

    I 100% agree on the CWP... Not only does more guns promote less crime it also makes for a so much more polite society...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •