View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #81
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,887

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    On a federal level? Hopefully never.
    Said the guy who still thinks people should deprive themselves of sex until marriage....

    Do you have a legal reason for that position other than:
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's a bloody mess is what it is. I find it funny that this discussion consistently brings up the proposal to eliminate one of the few institutions (government recognized marriages) that actually functions halfway decently.
    I would think people like yourself would think the government does a great deal of things at the very least halfway decently. Anyway, my objection has always been the same. The state should not be providing benefits or incentivising certain life decisions for this reason or that reason. It should simply be protecting the rights and liberties of all people. Since all you have is a right to marriage that does not include government intervention it would follow then that government must respect all marriages as long as the parties consent. It would seem to me that you argument of states denying your contract are baseless due to the right to marriage.

  3. #83
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    1.)We already have contract law in the U.S., we really don't need anything specific for marriage contracts which is why the license system is unnecessary.
    2.) Maybe, but that's why we have divorce and family court. The only time there is a secondary clause in the contract is a pre nuptual agreement, and that is only to protect certain assets prior to vows.
    3.) "We" may not in the U.S. but there are United States locales that do have that requirement. That's one major problem to marriage reciprocity and actually allows for governments that don't agree with homosexual marriage to ignore that couple's contract.
    4.) Treat it like other contracts between individuals. For instance if I sign an insurance contract here and move to NYC the contract is still valid, same with marriage.
    1.) fine with getting rid of the license unless it serves some purpose im unaware of
    2.) thats not a good way at all, id rather be proactive than reactive. Id like the contract set up very securely and in a binding fashion. If theres extra stuff, that fine you go get the extras but i wouldnt want it broken apart and historical precedence to start from scratch.

    what i mean by this is there have been domestic partnerships and civil unions that when death happened the partner has been screwed because these things arent as binding. The one case was the house was a wedding gift(no legal wedding gift obviously) from the family of one of the partners. That partner died and the family came and took the house and one in court because of course those things arent as binding as marriage.

    i was just giving you this example to explain where im coming from, im not down with the idea of starting from scratch or using something weaker at all.

    3.) im confused again, you are talking ssm now about you mentioned religion, where in the us is government needed for religious marriage.
    4.) again but you want to erase all the historical precedence and binding history and use many and multiple contracts i wouldn't want that. Why make it harder and add confusion to a process that already works.

    seems to me the best solution is get rid of the licenses (if what i said earlier is true) and keep its national recognized and the work is done in those two steps already.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #84
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    As someone else said, barring a SC ruling, I predict 5-10 years. Note that that is *nationally*. Whether it be federal, or all 50 states separately, I can't predict. I do think it is inevitable.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #85
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    It's a bloody mess is what it is. I find it funny that this discussion consistently brings up the proposal to eliminate one of the few institutions (government recognized marriages) that actually functions halfway decently.
    well i cant speak for everybody's personal motives but id bet the farm, tractor, toto and auntie em that 98% of the time its a cop out.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #86
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,939

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I would think people like yourself would think the government does a great deal of things at the very least halfway decently.
    If that's the direction you want to take this conversation in I can guarantee you it will end poorly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Anyway, my objection has always been the same. The state should not be providing benefits or incentivising certain life decisions for this reason or that reason. It should simply be protecting the rights and liberties of all people. Since all you have is a right to marriage that does not include government intervention it would follow then that government must respect all marriages as long as the parties consent. It would seem to me that you argument of states denying your contract are baseless due to the right to marriage.
    Whoa whoa whoa, hold on, what about my other question? You asked "Why do you keep going back to the idea that the state would not respect your private contract?" to which I responded, "Why should it be obliged to under your scenario?"

    Why did you ignore that?

  7. #87
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,939

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If you have any desire whatsoever for me to share your enthusiasm for government removing itself from marriage, you need to answer two questions, two questions I have never been given straight answers to.

    1)What is in it for you?
    2)What is in it for me?

    I would appreciate it if we didn't pretend that this has nothing to do with gay marriage, since gay marriage is literally the ONLY topic in which government being removed from marriage is ever brought up.
    *bump*

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Why should it be obliged to under your scenario?
    Right to marriage
    Right to contract

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If that's the direction you want to take this conversation in I can guarantee you it will end poorly.
    Just joking around.

    Whoa whoa whoa, hold on, what about my other question? You asked "Why do you keep going back to the idea that the state would not respect your private contract?" to which I responded, "Why should it be obliged to under your scenario?"

    Why did you ignore that?
    Didn't see it.

  10. #90
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,939

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Right to marriage
    Right to contract
    How would that enforced if it doesn't recognize the legitimacy of that contract. Case in point: gay marriage.

Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •