View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485
Results 841 to 843 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #841
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    But now every single state (I think ND was the last and they just filed) has approved or is processing this legislation. Or has court challenges open.

    Is it going to take more than 5 yrs for those remaining court challenges to be resolved?

    It's just IMO but I believe all the remaining court challenges will be resolved in favor of SSM so then we'd see nationwide SSM in 5 yrs or less.

    (Fingers crossed)
    Functionally though, both our points is that the judicial system is causing it much faster than the legislative process.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #842
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,921

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Functionally though, both our points is that the judicial system is causing it much faster than the legislative process.
    That may be true. However just IMO...how long should people have to wait for their rights? If it is the right thing to do, then they should not have to wait at all. It took 100 yrs from the end of the Civil War to end Jim Crow and unfortunately, I dont believe it's completely removed yet.

    Sometimes it's a matter of momentum in society. Should that be ignored?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #843
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That may be true. However just IMO...how long should people have to wait for their rights? If it is the right thing to do, then they should not have to wait at all. It took 100 yrs from the end of the Civil War to end Jim Crow and unfortunately, I dont believe it's completely removed yet.

    Sometimes it's a matter of momentum in society. Should that be ignored?
    I agree that gay marriage should be available nation wide right now. Frankly, it should have been available from the beginning as there was no rational reason to be against it. The ideology for the Defense of Marriage act was just bigotry and if we apply the same logic given to deny gays the right to marry, such as inability to have children we'd have to bar many straights from getting married as well. Notice we don't do that. Fundamentally the only reason people are against Gay Marriage is because they find it icky for some reason or another.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3575838485

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •