View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #761
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    No. Gay marriage can be declared unconstitutional and therefore, sacked.
    No, it can't because it does not violate the Constitution.

    The only way same sex marriage could ever be declared unconstitutional would be if there was an Amendment put into the Constitution that said marriage was only between a man and a woman.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #762
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My own marriage was performed by a Navy wife who was doing them to make extra money for her family. She was ordained over the internet and authorized by the state to sign marriage certificates as an officiant for that state.
    Why did you post this in a thread debating the pros and cons of SSM?

  3. #763
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    What is this right to marriage?
    It is from the 9th Amendment and has been ruled a right by the SCOTUS many times.

    Now, that being said, there is certainly a valid argument that the state could refuse to recognize marriages for anyone if enough people agreed to it. However, they would also have to stop recognizing other legal relationships, such as blood relatives, or a person could argue that the state is taking away their right to choose who is most important in their lives. It isn't likely this will happen though since most people believe people should be able to marry. The state could certainly cut some benefits it gives marriages/married people, but that isn't the same thing as not allowing people to marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #764
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, it can't because it does not violate the Constitution.

    The only way same sex marriage could ever be declared unconstitutional would be if there was an Amendment put into the Constitution that said marriage was only between a man and a woman.
    Let me repeat... SSM could be declared unconstitutional if it violated some other part of the constitution.. like the first amendment.
    If the ideology of judges changed.

  5. #765
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Why did you post this in a thread debating the pros and cons of SSM?
    As a response to someone mentioning that legal marriages are legal regardless of who performs the ceremony. My marriage is legal, despite not being performed by a "traditional" officiant or one paid by the state. It is also called a "marriage".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #766
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Let me repeat... SSM could be declared unconstitutional if it violated some other part of the constitution.. like the first amendment.
    If the ideology of judges changed.
    It does not violate the 1st Amendment. Same sex marriage would have to be shown to violate the 1st Amendment but it doesn't do that. So you have no case. Your argument has to be based in logic, not simply you claiming something.

    I could claim that restrictions on owning nuclear missiles violates the 2nd Amendment or restrictions on yelling fire in a crowded theater violates the 1st Amendment, but that doesn't mean my claim holds any legal grounds.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #767
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Enlighten me on the 9th amendment. Is that the one where state provisions should be adopted by the whole union?

  8. #768
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It does not violate the 1st Amendment. Same sex marriage would have to be shown to violate the 1st Amendment but it doesn't do that. So you have no case. Your argument has to be based in logic, not simply you claiming something.

    I could claim that restrictions on owning nuclear missiles violates the 2nd Amendment or restrictions on yelling fire in a crowded theater violates the 1st Amendment, but that doesn't mean my claim holds any legal grounds.
    The state is determining a national religion. And marriage is part of that national religion.

  9. #769
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    The state is determining a national religion. And marriage is part of that national religion.
    No. Marriage has nothing to do with religion, not when it is the state recognition of marriage. Marriage is recognition as two people as each other's legal spouse, which is a legally recognized relationship, nothing more. Nothing religious in that.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #770
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Enlighten me on the 9th amendment. Is that the one where state provisions should be adopted by the whole union?
    No, that would be the one that says that just because a right isn't listed in the Constitution, it doesn't mean the government can restrict that right. And the 14th Amendment would be the one that applies the BoRs to the states, including the 9th Amendment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •