View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 38 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #371
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Unions already have these rights in these 5 states. This is the Occam's Razor kinda answer to this quandary. Can you figure it out?
    There's no quandary. There's people who believe that the concept of "property" follows logically so that heterosexual couples "own" the word.

    Since they're mistaken, the only "quandary" is bigotry and ignorance.

    I see no reason to compromise with silliness that's going to organically evaporate over the next generation anyway.
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  2. #372
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,651

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Do you want to go around more about the Emancipation Proclamation? Do you still believe that in the north there weren't some abolitionists? That was, by the way, exactly what I'd previously said when I mentioned the majority of the north was abolitionist.
    Not sure why you argued, there.

    BTW, Lee launched his offensive against Pennsylvania (Gettysburg) partly to show England the north didn't have any fighting prowess and for England to reconsider its neutrality in the Civil War. Again, politics.
    I'd rather not. I have a long drive ahead of me. I didn't say there were not any abolitionists in the north. Why would I mention Garrisonians if I was going to argue there were no abolitionists in the north? Your problem was that you wanted to tell me that it was the bedrock for the Republican Party, when it wasn't.

    I thank you for providing some nearly useless information at the end there, but that was hardly necessary at all.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #373
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Ah, the problem is: the definition of marriage will be forever changed because of politics
    So?Is it going to stop you from getting married?


    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    A
    It's politics because gays (and judges) want to bestow the rights and responsibilties of marriage to everyone, (that's socialism, by the way) but not marriage.. How do I know gays want the rights of, but not marriage? All the badmouthing you guys give marriage. How so many end up in divorce, how many kids are affected by bad marriages, etc.
    Who are "you guys"?
    I'm straight,I'm married,I am a Republican,I raised three daughters who have successful careers,daughter who been to or going to college,one daughter already married hereself and raising my grandchildren.
    I support SSM,and I already done the "till death do us part" with my late first wife.

    As an owner of a catering company in a state that allows for SSM,I make a lot of money off gay weddings.
    That doesn't sound like socialism to me,that sounds like good old fashioned American capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Finally, since when has anything Canada done ever been a shining example to the rest of the world?
    What have you ever done that has been a shining example to the rest of the world?
    Last edited by Verthaine; 05-24-13 at 03:25 PM.

  4. #374
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucker View Post
    There's no quandary. There's people who believe that the concept of "property" follows logically so that heterosexual couples "own" the word.

    Since they're mistaken, the only "quandary" is bigotry and ignorance.

    I see no reason to compromise with silliness that's going to organically evaporate over the next generation anyway.
    I might as well use the word ideology since bigotry seems to rile some of you guys. It means the same thing. A majority of ideological Maryland judges voted for gay marriage. Now, look ideological up.

  5. #375
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I'd rather not. I have a long drive ahead of me. I didn't say there were not any abolitionists in the north. Why would I mention Garrisonians if I was going to argue there were no abolitionists in the north? Your problem was that you wanted to tell me that it was the bedrock for the Republican Party, when it wasn't.

    I thank you for providing some nearly useless information at the end there, but that was hardly necessary at all.
    When you get a handle on Civil War history let me know. Reread my post (and yours).
    You said not all northerners were abolitionist. I said a majority of northerners were abolitionist. Same difference.
    Last edited by cabse5; 05-24-13 at 03:29 PM.

  6. #376
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Ah, the problem is: the definition of marriage will be forever changed because of politics
    That's not a problem.

    It's politics because gays (and judges) want to bestow the rights and responsibilties of marriage to everyone, (that's socialism, by the way) but not marriage.

    What does this sentence even mean?

    .
    All the badmouthing you guys give marriage.
    "You guys"? I am married, and happily.


    Finally, since when has anything Canada done ever been a shining example to the rest of the world?
    Well, since Canada was an uninspiring fourth place in the legalization of same-sex marriage, I plainly wasn't talking about setting an example. I was saying that you can look at the country that is easily the most culturally-similar to the US--that's Canada--and watch what horrible effects ten years of legalized ssm has had on our country.

    The answer, you'll discover, appears to be "zero."

    So unless your argument is that America has proportionally more mouth-breathing losers and moral cretins that we do, I think the indicators for the futurre of your country under redefined marriage remain positive..
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  7. #377
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I might as well use the word ideology since bigotry seems to rile some of you guys. It means the same thing. A majority of ideological Maryland judges voted for gay marriage. Now, look ideological up.


    Right--the religiously-inspired folk who think God gave "ownership" of the word marriage to a boy and girl homo habilis (don't let that first word scare you off from the rest of my post), and who think everything to the left of Suharto is "socialism," aren't ideologically-motivated at all.

    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  8. #378
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,651

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    When you get a handle on Civil War history let me know. Reread my post (and yours).
    You said not all northerners were abolitionist. I said a majority of northerners were abolitionist. Same difference.
    Look, just because you feel, incorrectly, that the North was overwhelmingly populated with abolitionists, doesn't mean you can assume I know little about "Civil War history" (when this isn't relegated to Civil War history in the first place). It's a beginner's mistake you are making, one that hopefully, your professors attempted to correct.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Why should the state and its people be crippled by the religious institutions? If anything, it is the state that should be benevolently using the religious.
    Too worldly & perverse. It's better if the religious benevolently uses the state.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    So, what does it mean, J?
    He has no idea.

Page 38 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •