View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #331
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    So, you're saying gay marriage is a right because a group of bigoted Maryland judges said it was a right. And other state supreme court justices then followed precedent.

    You know, only one bigoted decision by the Maryland State Supreme Court lead to the multitude of gay marriage as a right decisions. Why haven't those same bigoted Maryland judges confered it's a right for every student to earn an A?
    do you know the meaning of the word bigoted?

  2. #332
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    This is classic false equivalence. All students have the *potential* to earn an A, whereas marriage equality is currently *impossible* for gay couples. One is earned and the other is a basic human right. Is that so hard to comprehend? There might be certain benefits to living in Alaska, but hardly anyone wants to live there, and Texans can always get a 3rd-4th fast food job to make up the difference. If Washington fans can't use the Dallas stadium, boohoo. It's not of any real consequence, and they can just start rooting for Dallas. Not like they're sober to know the difference anyway.

    It's not just the word either, as civil unions will never be equal to marriage. This is the same reason a lot of straight couples do not wish to marry but do so anyway: the actual rights that are exclusive to marriage.
    I said right not potential. This is where the analogy is correct. If marriage is a right then earning an A on schoolwork should also be an right. If you want me to nitpit, everyone has the potential of getting married as long as one partner is a man and the other a woman.

    Again, you're arguing about the one word:marriage. Gays can get all the rights of marriage in unions without being married.
    Actually, I 'm also pointing out that the separate but equal institutions is illegal argument is fallacious.

    And what was said previously makes sense. Have the gov't do away with recognizing marriages as tax deductions.

    Finally, I know why gays want marriage. So they can be seen as the same as everyone else. Which is not a civil right - to be seen as the same as everybody else.
    So much a different attitude for gays than in the 80s through the end of the century which was gays were different than everybody else.
    Last edited by cabse5; 05-22-13 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #333
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    do you know the meaning of the word bigoted?
    Yes I do. Maybe you don't. Look It up, why don't you?

  4. #334
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,990

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I said right not potential. This is where the analogy is correct. If marriage is a right then earning an A on schoolwork should also be an right. If you want me to nitpit, everyone has the potential of getting married as long as one partner is a man and the other a woman.

    Again, you're arguing about the one word:marriage. Gays can get all the rights of marriage in unions without being married.
    Actually, I 'm also pointing out that the separate but equal institutions is illegal argument is fallacious.

    And what was said previously makes sense. Have the gov't do away with recognizing marriages as tax deductions.

    Finally, I know why gays want marriage. So they can be seen as the same as everyone else. Which is not a civil right - to be seen as the same as everybody else.
    So much a different attitude for gays than in the 80s through the end of the century which was gays were different than everybody else.
    People don't earn marriage from the government. You don't take a test or do things to win points in order to get into a marriage. Do you believe that this happens?

    Civil marriage is a contract between two people making them legal spouses, which are legal kin.

    And no, everyone does not have the "potential" to get married just because they are a man and a woman.

    Name the other union in the US that gives every single right, benefit, and responsibility of marriage. Go ahead, tell us what that is that is legal right now. If there isn't any such union in existence, then marriage is the union they should have because anything else would unnecessarily cost the government, aka taxpayers, money to implement, for no other reason but to appease those like you who don't know how to share.

    Marriage benefits the government when it comes to taxes. This whole argument about the tax deductions fails because the Congressional Budget Committee already found that marriage benefits them.

    They want marriage for the same reasons opposite sex couples want marriage, because it comes with rights and benefits.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #335
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Strawman argument. IOW you surmise about something I posted, then rhetorically and probably successfully debate your point.
    Boring.

  6. #336
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,990

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Strawman argument. IOW you surmise about something I posted, then rhetorically and probably successfully debate your point.
    Boring.
    So no real argument? Got it.

    I will ask you again though, since it is based off of what you wrote. What legal union in the US gives every single right, benefit, and responsibility of marriage? You said

    Gays can get all the rights of marriage in unions without being married.
    If you think this is true, then prove it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #337
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    The slippery slope fears can perhaps best be navigated by looking at the countries that have had same sex marriage for ten years or more.

    In Canada, it's no longer an issue...although the debates beforehand were quite similar to these ones. Everything's fine. Life goes on. Pedophilia remains illegal. Dogs and cats are in most cases safe from sexual interference. And the Conservative Party (the lone opposition at the time) is still doing quite well.

    In other words, it's the status quo...with one obvious improvement.

    So what's the problem?
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  8. #338
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,047

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucker View Post
    The slippery slope fears can perhaps best be navigated by looking at the countries that have had same sex marriage for ten years or more.

    In Canada, it's no longer an issue...although the debates beforehand were quite similar to these ones. Everything's fine. Life goes on. Pedophilia remains illegal. Dogs and cats are in most cases safe from sexual interference. And the Conservative Party (the lone opposition at the time) is still doing quite well.

    In other words, it's the status quo...with one obvious improvement.

    So what's the problem?
    Whew!

  9. #339
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    1.)So, you're saying gay marriage is a right because a group of bigoted Maryland judges said it was a right. And other state supreme court justices then followed (were forced to follow) precedent.

    2.)You know, only one bigoted decision by the Maryland State Supreme Court lead to the multitude of gay marriage as a right decisions.
    3.)Why haven't those same bigoted Maryland judges conferred it's a right for every student to always earn an A? Because they're not bigoted towards students? Why did those Maryland judges think there was such a need to think so far out of the box about marriage when judges usually don't think out of the box (they use precedents to rule)?

    4.)BTW J, this is your only argument for gay marriage. That some bigoted Maryland judges conferred marriage to gays.
    1.) 100% false in multiple ways. First thats not what i said, secondly no they wouldnt be forced. Lastly what facts say these judges are bigoted LMAO wow you are desperate but you are losing.
    2.) theres nothing bigoted about it
    3.) because they arent morons, only a moron would think those are the same thing. See they lick to use FACTUALLY things like laws, rights, freedoms and liberities to make thier decesions. Theres nothign logical about giving everybody an A. It doesnt relate to anything that equal rights does.
    4.) nope its the argument you make up i your head LOL

    you lose again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #340
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    do you know the meaning of the word bigoted?
    obviously he has no clue what it means lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 34 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •