View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #201
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Great. Then get the laws changed without breaking them first. Sometimes I get the feeling that Democrats esteem themselves above everyone, and everything, else.
    That's what they are doing, changing the law to allows gays to marry through a democratic process.

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) translation you have ZERO proof to back up your strawman and its a failed argument.
    You look like someone who has to be told at least twice:

    Somehow, your nonsense slipped through the cracks, and that's not going to happen again. We'll start right here, at the beginning:

    First off, I said that legalizing gay marriage WILL open the floodgates to every form of marriage under the sun. I did not say gay marriage has been ruled constitutional by the SC, therefore it HAS opened the floodgates to every form of marriage under the sun. Apparently you thought I said the latter, for this what you posted:

    You see, AJ, this post of yours is what is called a disconnect. It means that your comment has nothing to do with what I posted, nor has it anything to do with reality. In your post, you are barking for facts when there aren't any available. You can't provide facts for something that hasn't happened yet. It's virtually impossible. The Supreme Court has not made its ruling on gay marriage, therefore, the legal definition of marriage remains as between a man and a woman. There are no facts available based on your query.

    Now, I can understand that you might have made a mistake. You're human. God knows you want to be heard, so it's understandable that you jumped the gun after failing to absorb my message properly. On the other hand, there is also the chance that you knew exactly what I was saying, but you decided to try and distort my message because you didn't like what you were reading. I like to think that you are more like the former, but honestly, I just don't know.

    My statement was a prediction; not a statement of fact. It is impossible to make a statement of fact on something that doesn't exist. Based on my PREDICTIONS, making gay marriage constitutional will open the floodgates to every form of marriage under the sun. THIS is logic, not fact, because why? That's right; because the Supreme Court has not made its ruling yet.

    Now, this debate went as long as it did only because I was exhausted. If you would like to retract your question and come back with a fresh, intelligent, response, please feel free to do so.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,894

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    10-15 years. I think the older voters will have to pass on before it happens.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  4. #204
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    You look like someone who has to be told at least twice:

    Somehow, your nonsense slipped through the cracks, and that's not going to happen again. We'll start right here, at the beginning:

    First off, I said that legalizing gay marriage WILL open the floodgates to every form of marriage under the sun. I did not say gay marriage has been ruled constitutional by the SC, therefore it HAS opened the floodgates to every form of marriage under the sun. Apparently you thought I said the latter, for this what you posted:

    You see, AJ, this post of yours is what is called a disconnect. It means that your comment has nothing to do with what I posted, nor has it anything to do with reality. In your post, you are barking for facts when there aren't any available. You can't provide facts for something that hasn't happened yet. It's virtually impossible. The Supreme Court has not made its ruling on gay marriage, therefore, the legal definition of marriage remains as between a man and a woman. There are no facts available based on your query.

    Now, I can understand that you might have made a mistake. You're human. God knows you want to be heard, so it's understandable that you jumped the gun after failing to absorb my message properly. On the other hand, there is also the chance that you knew exactly what I was saying, but you decided to try and distort my message because you didn't like what you were reading. I like to think that you are more like the former, but honestly, I just don't know.

    My statement was a prediction; not a statement of fact. It is impossible to make a statement of fact on something that doesn't exist. Based on my PREDICTIONS, making gay marriage constitutional will open the floodgates to every form of marriage under the sun. THIS is logic, not fact, because why? That's right; because the Supreme Court has not made its ruling yet.

    Now, this debate went as long as it did only because I was exhausted. If you would like to retract your question and come back with a fresh, intelligent, response, please feel free to do so.
    thanks for repeating youself

    guess what reality and facts haven't changed, your statement was wrong and your guess is unsupportable. You have no facts or logic to support it, its a failed strawman

    let us know when that changes.

    Theres nothing to retract i stated facts and pointed out the weakness and fallacies of your strawman argument you now have no logical, honest or objective path to take to support your false claim so you are left with what you are doing now. Desperately trying to spin and deflect to save face. Well its not working

    nice try you fail, lets us know when you have something factual and logical to support your "guess"

    Thanks for playing.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #205
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    It really depends. If the Supreme Court kicked it down the road, it could be a while. If they threw out the existing bans and protected SSM with strict scrutiny, then it's already over. But if they didn't, then there's no controlling precedent and we'll still be doing it one state at a time. Some of the more backwards states could take a while. The most persuasive precedent would be the ruling on Prop 8 from the California Supreme Court, but when was the last time an Alabama judge cited a California case?

    It's probably going to have to end up being decided by the Supreme Court eventually. I hope they didn't rule narrowly on the present case and dealt with the problem, rather than just setting the stage for addressing it later. So I think it will either be now, or in another 10 or 20 years. If there's no ruling now, then most of the non-Confederate states will shift within the next decade, but it will come back to the courts either way.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    thanks for repeating youself
    Don't mention it. Problem is, it looks like you might need to be told a third time. Would you like to answer the questions, or shall I repost again?

  7. #207
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It really depends. If the Supreme Court kicked it down the road, it could be a while. If they threw out the existing bans and protected SSM with strict scrutiny, then it's already over. But if they didn't, then there's no controlling precedent and we'll still be doing it one state at a time. Some of the more backwards states could take a while. The most persuasive precedent would be the ruling on Prop 8 from the California Supreme Court, but when was the last time an Alabama judge cited a California case?

    It's probably going to have to end up being decided by the Supreme Court eventually. I hope they didn't rule narrowly on the present case and dealt with the problem, rather than just setting the stage for addressing it later. So I think it will either be now, or in another 10 or 20 years. If there's no ruling now, then most of the non-Confederate states will shift within the next decade, but it will come back to the courts either way.
    If the USSC kicks it down the road then the conservative states will keep gay marriage illegal for the next few generations. I've heard of states like Vermont and California referred to as "refugee" states, which should tell you something about who's left in the bible belt fighting for gay rights.

  8. #208
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Don't mention it. Problem is, it looks like you might need to be told a third time. Would you like to answer the questions, or shall I repost again?
    please repost your failed strawman again we enjoy the entertainment

    maybe to morrow youll have some facts to support your failed arguments, not as funny but it be nice
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #209
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If the USSC kicks it down the road then the conservative states will keep gay marriage illegal for the next few generations. I've heard of states like Vermont and California referred to as "refugee" states, which should tell you something about who's left in the bible belt fighting for gay rights.
    It won't last generations. It will last another decade or two at most. Public opinion is WAY turning and there will continue to be suits and cases in states that ban SSM until it gets back up to the supreme court. Either it will be decided by the court now, states will just give in soon, or it will be decided by the court in a little while. It's a contentious constitutional issue that has the interest of the whole nation. It's not going to sit for generations without a national resolution.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    As someone else on this forum has already noted, "state rights" has, sadly, devolved into code for "the right to discriminate against its citizens without Federal meddling."
    That's kind of what it was from the beginning. The whole civil war thing proved that. States that seceded and issued declarations of secession proclaimed they had a right to allow slavery. "States rights" has and always will be invoked whenever people want to discriminate against others.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •