View Poll Results: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    59 42.45%
  • 5-10 years

    38 27.34%
  • 10-15 years

    17 12.23%
  • 15-20 years

    6 4.32%
  • 20-25 years

    2 1.44%
  • 25+ years

    2 1.44%
  • Never

    15 10.79%
Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 843

Thread: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

  1. #141
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You'll have epidemic divorce rates, like everyone else. You'll learn to hate each other, and try to steal each other's money during the divorce.
    Equal rights, equal misery.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #142
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) in principle i agree but the only words we are changing is man and woman so im good with it.
    also in general im willing to allow it to be a tougher road to change if the law/contract is more binding/sound. Im a fan of quick justice when its possible.
    2.) well im not sure i do either but its going to be equal or not change.
    3.) i agree but justice and tools are much easier and faster
    4.) when i said close i mean the fact that 11 states soon 12 allow it and if scotus votes on it the change is easy. its a simply verbiage change of the partners/parties involved.

    thats all that needs done, pleasing the extremists and nut jobs isnt
    Problem is it's always going to be complicated because the politician will try to please everyone, and that complicates things plus everyone loses. I think if we just get government out of the legislating side it works, I can't see any way more government or more of the same from government works.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #143
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Problem is it's always going to be complicated because the politician will try to please everyone, and that complicates things plus everyone loses. I think if we just get government out of the legislating side it works, I can't see any way more government or more of the same from government works.
    well in this case i hope you are wrong eventhough in others i agree with you.

    only because i would see it as a step backwards. Only because i believe discrimination/bigotry would increase a lot on a general level and defeating it and righting it would take longer
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #144
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    well in this case i hope you are wrong eventhough in others i agree with you.

    only because i would see it as a step backwards. Only because i believe discrimination/bigotry would increase a lot on a general level and defeating it and righting it would take longer
    I see the course differently, but want the same outcome. I just see too many opportunities for politicians to insert their own biases in the process, and later opportunities to further bastardize things when the next group takes over. To me it's as simple as taking the power away.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #145
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I see the course differently, but want the same outcome. I just see too many opportunities for politicians to insert their own biases in the process, and later opportunities to further bastardize things when the next group takes over. To me it's as simple as taking the power away.
    for something like this id rather have it be them than the people
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #146
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    I support gay marriage but I'm not sure why everyone is so optimistic. If the Supreme Court rules unfavorably in both the Prop 8 and DOMA cases (both eminent possibilities) or if they uphold Prop 8 but strike down DOMA then you are forced to pursue a state by state strategy or depending on the ruling re-litigate the entire matter. I voted 15-20 years because my bet is that you'll see Prop 8 upheld and 50:50 on DOMA being struck down or upheld. In that situation I think it would take many years before you overcome opposition in all 50 states and achieve national consensus on gay marriage.

  7. #147
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    for something like this id rather have it be them than the people
    The problem is I don't trust them for about three reasons. 1) Politicians tend to be incompetent, at least at the D.C. level 2) You can never trust a damn word they say and 3) There's always a catch to anything they offer.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #148
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I support gay marriage but I'm not sure why everyone is so optimistic. If the Supreme Court rules unfavorably in both the Prop 8 and DOMA cases (both eminent possibilities) or if they uphold Prop 8 but strike down DOMA then you are forced to pursue a state by state strategy or depending on the ruling re-litigate the entire matter. I voted 15-20 years because my bet is that you'll see Prop 8 upheld and 50:50 on DOMA being struck down or upheld. In that situation I think it would take many years before you overcome opposition in all 50 states and achieve national consensus on gay marriage.
    A ruling in favor of DOMA is very unlikely. There are liberal and conservative arguments against it. The question is much more likely to be how exactly the ruling against DOMA is worded. If it is worded in such a way that once some one is married, their state of residence no longer matters for federal recognition, or if they don't clarify, then for all practical purposes, SSM is legal across the country. Only a ruling to uphold DOMA(very unlikely) or a ruling that specifically ties federal recognition to current state of residence(slightly more likely but still a long shot) would be a significant barrier to SSM couples.

    In the Prop 8 case, none of the most likely outcomes would actively support SSM restrictions on a state level. The court will probably punt the matter, or rule in a narrow manner.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #149
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I support gay marriage but I'm not sure why everyone is so optimistic. If the Supreme Court rules unfavorably in both the Prop 8 and DOMA cases (both eminent possibilities) or if they uphold Prop 8 but strike down DOMA then you are forced to pursue a state by state strategy or depending on the ruling re-litigate the entire matter. I voted 15-20 years because my bet is that you'll see Prop 8 upheld and 50:50 on DOMA being struck down or upheld. In that situation I think it would take many years before you overcome opposition in all 50 states and achieve national consensus on gay marriage.
    if i was betting id bet the farm prop 8 goes down due to the fact that other state supreme courts when given the change voted such things to violate equal protections etc.
    Yes in California it has gone multiple ways again id bet the fame prop 8 goes down just like it should.

    Now with that said they we will have to pay attention to the verbiage of their decision.

    If they do it broadly, which i hope they do, then BAM, equal rights for all 50 states.
    If they word it locally for just California it still sets a precedence for challenges to start being pushed in every state. A little longer but its gets the same job done.
    Whats hilarious is the states that rushed to ban SSM will actually have set themselves up to have SSM EASIER because thats what can be challenged.

    So DOMA just becomes a side issue really. Now i wouldnt bet money on how doma is going to go down because that one im not sure of.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #150
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    05-11-13 @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37

    Re: How long till Same Sex Marriage is nationally legal in the US?

    I'm split on this one, one part of me says it'll happen when Obama is in office and only if he's in office but the other is saying it may never get legalized nationally in the US because i have a gut feeling that in 2016 RP's might get in and will do everything to make sure they get in.

Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •