View Poll Results: Does this video seem too soon and inappropiate or funny?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inappropiate

    2 25.00%
  • Funny

    3 37.50%
  • Both or don't care

    3 37.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Charles Ramsey - Castro Abductions

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Charles Ramsey - Castro Abductions3 threads merged
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #12
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    I found it kind of tasteless but also funny.

    Sometimes people attempt to make light of a serious or bad situation too soon or out of a warped sense of humor.

    Now some of the online News pundits are saying it's racial in content, which I think is being too sensitive, AGAIN.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post


    Does this seem a little tasteless and too early to laugh at or does it lighten up a serious matter with harmless fun?
    I think it's funny.

    His interview was hilarious. I like people who keep it real. That's why his "I knew something was wrong when a pretty white girl ran into a black man's arms" comment was funny.

    I think one thing that makes the video and the interview less tasteless or "too soon" for me is that Ramsey was actually involved the situation. He was one of the people who came to rescue and helped those women. Had some random person like a news anchor or DP poster said the things he said, it wouldn't have been as funny. There's something about people being involved in tragedy or difficult situations that makes it permissible (to me at least) for them to be humorous about it.

  4. #14
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    To soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I found it kind of tasteless but also funny.

    Sometimes people attempt to make light of a serious or bad situation too soon or out of a warped sense of humor.

    Now some of the online News pundits are saying it's racial in content, which I think is being too sensitive, AGAIN.
    I've seen a lot of criticism of the reaction to Ramsey's interview saying it's racially insensitive and condescending and what not. I was surprised for a variety of reasons. I've gotten the impression that most people think Ramsey is funny because of his bluntness and the way he keeps it real. Other people, I think, are reading too much into it by assuming people are just laughing at him because he's black. Those people are over thinking it.

    Even so, I don't know that it's right to dismiss them as being "too sensitive". Our perceptions of people are colored by our impressions of gender, race, sexuality, class, education level, et al.. Because of this, I wouldn't consider people hypothesizing a racial element to be "sensitive". It's not out of bounds to consider that any one of those elements colors our perception of Ramsey and everyone else we encounter.

  6. #16
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think it's funny.

    His interview was hilarious. I like people who keep it real. That's why his "I knew something was wrong when a pretty white girl ran into a black man's arms" comment was funny.

    I think one thing that makes the video and the interview less tasteless or "too soon" for me is that Ramsey was actually involved the situation. He was one of the people who came to rescue and helped those women. Had some random person like a news anchor or DP poster said the things he said, it wouldn't have been as funny. There's something about people being involved in tragedy or difficult situations that makes it permissible (to me at least) for them to be humorous about it.

    I agree that Ramsey meant it in a humorous way. The supposed controversy is over whether the video is racist or tasteless towards blacks because of the mocking tone and ribs comment, making him look dumb. It was done with a 'songify' app and no words changed, which to me is funny but a little soon because of the subject matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I've seen a lot of criticism of the reaction to Ramsey's interview saying it's racially insensitive and condescending and what not. I was surprised for a variety of reasons. I've gotten the impression that most people think Ramsey is funny because of his bluntness and the way he keeps it real. Other people, I think, are reading too much into it by assuming people are just laughing at him because he's black. Those people are over thinking it.

    Even so, I don't know that it's right to dismiss them as being "too sensitive". Our perceptions of people are colored by our impressions of gender, race, sexuality, class, education level, et al.. Because of this, I wouldn't consider people hypothesizing a racial element to be "sensitive". It's not out of bounds to consider that any one of those elements colors our perception of Ramsey and everyone else we encounter.
    I think to call people racist needs more validation than Freudian slips or poor grammar choices. Many men are called misogynistic and women men haters for any negative comments, making everyone walk on pins and needles because of an overly PC environment. Being overly touchy or easily angered about verbiage isn't going to lead to better social standards or relations as much as tolerance and patience.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,121

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    it was certainly clever. sort of fits into the gallows humor category.

    i've never really known how to feel about gallows humor. part of me laughs, and the other part feels bad for laughing. i remember the first jokes about the Challenger disaster were circulating around my elementary school the next day.

    this Castro thing, though. man. i can't wrap my mind around it, and i really don't want to.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think to call people racist needs more validation than Freudian slips or poor grammar choices. Many men are called misogynistic and women men haters for any negative comments, making everyone walk on pins and needles because of an overly PC environment.
    Eh, I think people who feel the need to walk on pins and needles are bringing that on themselves so I don't have much sympathy for that argument. I believe and say plenty of things that piss certain people off. In fact, I've been called misogynistic, racist, et al. and been accused of hating mentally handicapped people amongst other things and while it can be annoying, I don't particularly mind it because I think it's fine for them to be offended by what I said. People just have different lines.

    Being overly touchy or easily angered about verbiage isn't going to lead to better social standards or relations as much as tolerance and patience.
    On the flip side, one could argue that easily dismissing people's concerns about racism as you have isn't going to lead to better social standards or relations either. I've been on both sides of this. I've had people accuse me of prejudice rashly and I've had people dismiss my perceptions of prejudice in the manner you are doing to other people right now. I can safely say that neither reaction to people leads to better social standards or relations. Both reactions usually just increase tension and leave people feeling like they haven't been heard.

  9. #19
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Eh, I think people who feel the need to walk on pins and needles are bringing that on themselves so I don't have much sympathy for that argument. I believe and say plenty of things that piss certain people off. In fact, I've been called misogynistic, racist, et al. and been accused of hating mentally handicapped people amongst other things and while it can be annoying, I don't particularly mind it because I think it's fine for them to be offended by what I said. People just have different lines.
    Can't find much fault with your statements. You're right in that people bring it on themselves but too much credence is also given to lip service.


    On the flip side, one could argue that easily dismissing people's concerns about racism as you have isn't going to lead to better social standards or relations either. I've been on both sides of this. I've had people accuse me of prejudice rashly and I've had people dismiss my perceptions of prejudice in the manner you are doing to other people right now. I can safely say that neither reaction to people leads to better social standards or relations. Both reactions usually just increase tension and leave people feeling like they haven't been heard.
    I thought about that as I was writing the comment. It's true that too little attention or defense is not good either. But in today's environment for the most part I think it's going the other way. You weaken a cause if you cry too much or inappropriately. Nothing makes people tune out faster than excessive complaining.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #20
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Is this too soon or inappropriate?

    funny. the guy is a true hero and with a sense of humor to boot.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •