View Poll Results: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 33.33%
  • No

    10 66.67%
  • Depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

  1. #1
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    I have a lot of jewish friends that eat pork and other foods that aren't kosher. I have some muslim friends that eat meats that aren't halal and drink alcohol. I also have hindu friends that eat steaks. Almost every catholic i know eats meat on fridays during lent. Everyone on this forum knows that im an atheist and i think religion is pretty stupid, but if you do choose to follow a religion why not follow what seems to me the simplest task of them all?
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  2. #2
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Don't have an organized religion. Pretty irreligious.

    But I do have a funny story. Back in college, I had a Jewish friend who was uber conservative on everything....except staying Kosher. Went to Japanese restaurants and ate raw shellfish with him, had pepperoni pizzas, went to the nearby wendy's and got cheese burgers...you name it, he broke the kosher rules.

    Then I had an uber liberal Jewish friend who was RIDICULOUSLY Kosher. He would avoid any dairy item near a meat item on the buffet. Wasn't even in the same item! Just proximity! He freaked out when he accidentally took Chicken Cordon Bleu.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #3
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    No, but I don't think that God cares what I eat.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #4
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No, but I don't think that God cares what I eat.
    As long as it's not people outside of survival?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #5
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,495

    Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    I was raised in a Roman Catholic home and we followed the very few dietary restrictions that the church imposes.

    Since being an adult and being pretty much agnostic I haven't followed them in years - decades.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #6
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Don't have an organized religion. Pretty irreligious.

    But I do have a funny story. Back in college, I had a Jewish friend who was uber conservative on everything....except staying Kosher. Went to Japanese restaurants and ate raw shellfish with him, had pepperoni pizzas, went to the nearby wendy's and got cheese burgers...you name it, he broke the kosher rules.

    Then I had an uber liberal Jewish friend who was RIDICULOUSLY Kosher. He would avoid any dairy item near a meat item on the buffet. Wasn't even in the same item! Just proximity! He freaked out when he accidentally took Chicken Cordon Bleu.
    I noticed that too. Some of the more liberal folks follow their religion more closely.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #7
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No, but I don't think that God cares what I eat.
    So then you are not a very good (insert your religion here). Would you agree with that sentiment?
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  8. #8
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    I noticed that too. Some of the more liberal folks follow their religion more closely.
    Some at least.

    He was like "****!!!" when he cut open the chicken and saw the cheese and ham. He got a new plate and discarded everything he had gotten.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #9
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    So then you are not a very good (insert your religion here). Would you agree with that sentiment?
    No, not really. I'm actually perfectly suited for my religion. I just don't believe that God cares what we eat. I don't view God as a parent or a judge.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #10
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Do you follow dietary restrictions imposed by your religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Some at least.

    He was like "****!!!" when he cut open the chicken and saw the cheese and ham. He got a new plate and discarded everything he had gotten.
    Another think i noticed is that almost every muslim i know doesn't eat pork. They might drink alcohol and eat meats that aren't always hahal but they manage not to eat pork. Maybe that is the easiest to follow.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •