View Poll Results: Do you believe that partisan politics divides people unnecessarily?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 80.65%
  • No

    6 19.35%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 100

Thread: Is partisan politics too partisan?

  1. #1
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-12-13 @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    251

    Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Do you believe that the partisan discourse divides people more than it should?

    Vote yes if you believe that the partisan discourse is framed in a way that prevents solutions to conflicts that could be resolved if they were approached differently, or if you feel that politics is used more to distract people from the real problems than to solve problems.

    Vote no if you think that the issues are framed in a way that promotes solutions and encourages mutual understanding and respect, or if you feel that the partisan discourse tries too hard to get people to agree on the issues.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    Do you believe that the partisan discourse divides people more than it should?

    Vote yes if you believe that the partisan discourse is framed in a way that prevents solutions to conflicts that could be resolved if they were approached differently, or if you feel that politics is used more to distract people from the real problems than to solve problems.

    Vote no if you think that the issues are framed in a way that promotes solutions and encourages mutual understanding and respect, or if you feel that the partisan discourse tries too hard to get people to agree on the issues.
    Apparently you forgot to add the poll. I have no doubt that today partisan discourse is indeed framed in a way as to prevent solutions. I also agree, that some issues are used to distract the voters from other issues that can be more harmful to this nation that the hot button issue being discussed.

    I think you only have to look at the senate. Both Reid and McConnell are too busy being partisan Republicans and Democrats than being an American. Both in my opinion put their party way above country. This leaves me longing to the days of a Mansfield and Dirksen, a George Mitchell and Bob Dole or even Daschle and Lott. All of the a fore mentioned could work together for the good of the country. They could give and take, compromise to get things done. Sure all of them could dig in their heels depending on the issue, but for the most part, each would concede some to get some.

    It seems all too often with Reid and McConnell, they want it all, all of the time. The my way or the highway. If Reid is for something McConnell is automatically against it and vice versa. I swear, at times it seems both of these two gentlemen would rather see this country go down in flames than to give one inch.

    End of Soapbox.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Apparently you forgot to add the poll. I have no doubt that today partisan discourse is indeed framed in a way as to prevent solutions. I also agree, that some issues are used to distract the voters from other issues that can be more harmful to this nation that the hot button issue being discussed.

    I think you only have to look at the senate. Both Reid and McConnell are too busy being partisan Republicans and Democrats than being an American. Both in my opinion put their party way above country. This leaves me longing to the days of a Mansfield and Dirksen, a George Mitchell and Bob Dole or even Daschle and Lott. All of the a fore mentioned could work together for the good of the country. They could give and take, compromise to get things done. Sure all of them could dig in their heels depending on the issue, but for the most part, each would concede some to get some.

    It seems all too often with Reid and McConnell, they want it all, all of the time. The my way or the highway. If Reid is for something McConnell is automatically against it and vice versa. I swear, at times it seems both of these two gentlemen would rather see this country go down in flames than to give one inch.

    End of Soapbox.



    You still think the US is a functional country..............2wave........................ ..Hi......................

  4. #4
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Partisan politics can be too divisive, obviously, but I also think differing points of view, and the willingness to stand up for what you believe are good things.
    Last edited by X Factor; 05-08-13 at 01:15 AM.

  5. #5
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-12-13 @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    251

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    You still think the US is a functional country..............2wave........................ ..Hi......................
    I still think that the US is a functional country. All that's required to get rid of the corruption is for people to stop buying into the partisan noise machine. There are plenty of places for rational souls to talk about solutions to problems. Every internet forum is viable as a platform so long as people see through the fog of corporatist tools and useful idiots that spam up the discourse and keep people from having a rational discussion. It would take a few election cycles to replace the Supreme court with people who will interpret the Constitution properly, but most of the problems can be cleared up pretty quickly, and none are beyond repair.

    I think most people agree that equating money to "free speech" is generally a bad idea, for example. We all know that bribery is detrimental in government, and yet the partisan discourse tells us that the freedom to exchange money for political power is what the founders meant by "freedom of speech". Certainly people with money should not be forbidden from advocating for their opinions, any more than people without money should be. But money is not speech; it's economic power. Freedom to use economic power to influence government should not be protected on the same level as the freedom to petition the government or express opinions.

  6. #6
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    You still think the US is a functional country..............2wave........................ ..Hi......................
    I know it's not cool any more to actually have affinity for this country but, while it's not perfect, I think it's still pretty awesome.

  7. #7
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    Do you believe that the partisan discourse divides people more than it should?

    Vote yes if you believe that the partisan discourse is framed in a way that prevents solutions to conflicts that could be resolved if they were approached differently, or if you feel that politics is used more to distract people from the real problems than to solve problems.

    Vote no if you think that the issues are framed in a way that promotes solutions and encourages mutual understanding and respect, or if you feel that the partisan discourse tries too hard to get people to agree on the issues.
    I see horrible partisanship on this forum. Enough to make a person go slightly nutty. One of our posters uses something similar to this as his Avatar.

    I think I know why:

    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #8
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-12-13 @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    251

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Partisan politics can be too divisive, obviously, but I also think differing points of view, and the willingness to stand up for what you believe is a good thing.
    Agreed. We should never let political correctness restrain us from expressing ourselves. The most important thing is to have the self discipline to advocate while simultaneously respecting the rights of others to disagree on the merits of their perspectives. The solutions come when those differing perspectives are shared and understood by both sides, and actions are taken that reflect the shared values and principles of all parties.

  9. #9
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-12-13 @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    251

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I see horrible partisanship on this forum. Enough to make a person go slightly nutty. One of our posters uses something similar to this as his Avatar.

    I think I know why:

    If I had a lot of money, and I wanted to disenfranchise people so that I could take control, I'd spend money encouraging people who are concerned about society to engage in the debate in a way that precluded the possibility of the issues being resolved.

    Maybe I belong in the conspiracy theory section, but after some of my conversations here and on other forums, I think that some people are actually hired to come here and act like asshats so that reasonable people wont be able to have a conversation. I may be wrong, and those people could just be incredibly intolerant and disagreeable, but if they're not playing for the opposing team, they sure are scoring a lot of points for them.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I know it's not cool any more to actually have affinity for this country but, while it's not perfect, I think it's still pretty awesome.


    I think it's still as cool as it ever was to have an affinity for this country. I'm just acknowledging that I've gotten the "word" that I'm not a "real" American, so why would I have an "affinity" for it ? Why won't people grow up and deal with the consequences of their own deeds and actions ?.................

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •