View Poll Results: Do you believe that partisan politics divides people unnecessarily?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 80.65%
  • No

    6 19.35%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 100

Thread: Is partisan politics too partisan?

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    Probably because the benchmark of a good government is having as many people who are happy with it as practical without turning it into a flaky populist hell hole.
    You can't really change someone who's determined to be unhappy though.

  2. #22
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-12-13 @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    251

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    It's so dysfunctional it's funny......................Must suck for some people...................
    I've changed my mind. Clearly the civil discourse isn't unnecessarily divisive at all!

  3. #23
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    The poll is asking a question with a binary response. If you think the partisan discourse divides people unnecessarily, vote yes. If you do not think the partisan discourse divides people unnecessarily, vote no.

    By your response, I would infer that you do not think the partisan discourse is unnecessarily divisive, since you assert that it is not controlled in any way, and therefore faithfully represents the opinions of the entire populace. I wouldn't dare to speak for you, but I'm guessing that you would vote "No", based on that inference.

    Thank you for your contribution.
    I think your questions said more than that, but I accept that was your intent

    The fact is, our political system was designed to be a two party system. While people can (and do) have a wide variety of views and ideologies, in the end our problems are "solved" through the political process which is dominated by two parties.

    So we have a multitude of opinions and two parties to represent them. Does that mean that they are or are not "representative" of the people? I'd say yes and no. The two parties certainly do not do a comprehensive job of representing everyone's opinions, but they do a fairly decent job of representing those in the middle of the ideological spectrum. Though we often like to think that, for any given issue, there's a "republican" position and a "democratic" one, but the truth is that there is diversity within each party as well as between the two parties.

    That's because people are different. Different people have differing life experiences that have led them to have a different world view than others do. Simply having a polite discussion isn't going to change the fact that these differences can be huge. Then add in fact that people are not quite the rational beings we like to imagine we are and that leaves me with little hope that there is a simple way to resolve difficult and troubling differences amongst the various groups of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    I've changed my mind. Clearly the civil discourse isn't unnecessarily divisive at all!


    As it should be. We've had 30 years of the Right turning up the volume on their proclivities, I see no reason everyone shouldn't adopt the tactics of the aggressor....................

  5. #25
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    05-12-13 @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    251

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You can't really change someone who's determined to be unhappy though.
    Is that what you were trying to do?

    If so, don't quit your day job.

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    I think it is unnecessarily divisive. The big problem with partisan politics is people become enslaved to their party and ideology and go along with the party without actually rationally thinking about the issue. The start from "the Dems/Repubs are right, let me rehash their talking points and tell you why you're wrong." It makes people hate the other side and some will believe anything negative about their opposition. There is nothing wrong with believing in an ideology or strongly supporting a party, but be rational about it and don't just agree or tote things because the party says so or because it advances your agenda. One key giveaway is when people bash the other side and attack the opposition not for their views, but because of who they are.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Partisan politics can be too divisive, obviously, but I also think differing points of view, and the willingness to stand up for what you believe are good things.
    They are. I full heartily agree. But when being in a side blinds you to reason, that's a problem. (I don't mean you personally)

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #28
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialEngineer View Post
    Is that what you were trying to do?

    If so, don't quit your day job.
    Trying to do what? Make Bonzai happy? Definitely not. Still won't quit my day job though.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think it is unnecessarily divisive. The big problem with partisan politics is people become enslaved to their party and ideology and go along with the party without actually rationally thinking about the issue. The start from "the Dems/Repubs are right, let me rehash their talking points and tell you why you're wrong." It makes people hate the other side and some will believe anything negative about their opposition. There is nothing wrong with believing in an ideology or strongly supporting a party, but be rational about it and don't just agree or tote things because the party says so or because it advances your agenda. One key giveaway is when people bash the other side and attack the opposition not for their views, but because of who they are.



    Maybe people don't like the natural results of a war they declared 30 years ago ? Well, be careful what you ask for...........................

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Is partisan politics too partisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Maybe people don't like the natural results of a war they declared 30 years ago ? Well, be careful what you ask for...........................
    And what does this have to do with the content of my post? Is there anything you disagree with specifically or would like to discuss?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •