View Poll Results: What is morality/

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • a false concept

    5 7.04%
  • the laws of a particular society

    20 28.17%
  • the laws of God

    10 14.08%
  • the laws of nature

    9 12.68%
  • other

    27 38.03%
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 380

Thread: morality

  1. #71
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    If morals are determined by the individual, how is it possible for them to be wrong?
    They become wrong when they deny other individuals their freedom to "determine".

    "Do not do onto others what you wish not done onto yourself - that's the whole of Torah, the rest is commentaries", Rabbi Hillel said in the 1 century BC (repeating what many religious and non-religious thinkers said before him). Nobody wishes to be coerced, by definition. Coercion is the basic moral evil. Once our individual "determines" that, he has made the all-important first step.
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 05-04-13 at 11:20 PM.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    If they are all the same god does it really matter?
    Yes. Which God gives the morals decides what the morals are.

  3. #73
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Did you choose the second option? If so, do you believe that honor killings are moral in societies that declare them as moral?
    Honor killings if you were raised in that culture would be acceptable. The freedoms found in other cultures would seem strange to someone who was raised in a nation where honor killings were acceptable.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  4. #74
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    Haven't read any posts yet.

    I think morality is from GOD since it is conscience that tells you what to do!
    If God's or deities were all the same would not the moral codes match from nation to nation?
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Does it exist? If so, what is it?
    I'm pleased that my answer corresponded to yours, given you originated this thread.

    Morality is concerned with right and wrong. Some people think right and wrong is determined by a government that establishes a rule about what is right and what is wrong. I disagree that right and wrong is that relative.

    I think right and wrong are natural to us, truly inherent in our psyches. Evidence of this is rooted in laws that were drawn up thousands of years ago. Don't kill others (right to life), don't coerce others (right to liberty), don't steal (right to property). These are the most fundamental of rights.

    We recognize youth are innocent and deserve to be nurtured and cared for. We recognize this naturally, as it is in our natures to understand this. We don't simply recognize these things because our government told us so. Conversely, we established governments to recognize these things because they occur to us naturally.

    Morality is rooted in our very natures. Our morality needs no government to explain it to us or define it for us. In fact, we do not even need language for our rights to be evident to us. They are ingrained in us.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 05-04-13 at 11:27 PM.

  6. #76
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    The GOD in heaven that by faith I believe I will be with after my death !!
    The key words in your post are (I believe) meaning you believe. We may not all believe in that same deity.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #77
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Do you believe that each person can have their own morals? If a rapist feels that rape is moral, and the victim feels that it's immoral, can they both be right?
    They can both be right in there own sense of things. The morality of the land will be the ultimate decision maker.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I'm pleased that my answer corresponded to yours, given you originated this thread.

    Morality is concerned with right and wrong. Some people think right and wrong is determined by a government that establishes a rule about what is right and what is wrong. I disagree that right and wrong is that relative.

    I think right and wrong are natural to us, truly inherent in our psyches. Evidence of this is rooted in laws that were drawn up thousands of years ago. Don't kill others (right to life), don't coerce others (right to liberty), don't steal (right to property). These are the most fundamental of rights.

    We recognize youth are innocent and deserve to be nurtured and cared for. We recognize this naturally, as it is in our natures to understand this. We don't simply recognize these things because our government told us so. Conversely, we established governments to recognize these things because they occur to us naturally.

    Morality is rooted in our very natures. Our morality needs no government to explain it to us or define it for us. In fact, we do not even need language for our rights to be evident to us. They are ingrained in us.
    So George Washington was evil as he owned other humans and morality isn't relative.

  9. #79
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Well, that may be true with some things, but there have to be some universal bounds of reason right?
    You would think certain morals would be universal but if we look at WWII we see some codes of morality just defy all much of human reasoning so morals very from society to society and there is no set code. Conscience is not even a maker as the conscience is created from learned patterns of thinking and teaching.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: morality

    I said this a year or so ago in some other thread. I can't remember which one. Anyways..

    Social conformity, cultural values, personal wants and needs all shape peoples decisions on these matters. There are however objective truths about the world when dealing with destruction and violence which includes steps to avoid it that can't easily be ignored. In my opinion there is two things going on. One is the personal and social side of morals and the other is the objective side to morals. I have little doubt morals are truly objective, but society and personal wants are an issue that can't be ignored.

    ---

    In short, I think morals are natural, but society and individuals are a factor none the less. I think if you were to look at the evolution of morals you would see that my conclusion holds up. There are trends towards a certain end across time that keep popping and an overall trend as well.
    Last edited by Henrin; 05-04-13 at 11:40 PM.

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •