View Poll Results: What is morality/

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • a false concept

    5 7.04%
  • the laws of a particular society

    20 28.17%
  • the laws of God

    10 14.08%
  • the laws of nature

    9 12.68%
  • other

    27 38.03%
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 380

Thread: morality

  1. #221
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: morality

    You asked the question about personal morals. If you didn't want an answer then why did you ask?!?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Purgatory
    Last Seen
    05-11-14 @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Morality is a social construct and not something imagined by an individual.
    From my experience it is both and the two are very relative. Do you not have moral dictum that exists regardless of societal influence? Or do you see the individual as irrelevant on this subject?

  3. #223
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,344

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Incarnari View Post
    From my experience it is both and the two are very relative. Do you not have moral dictum that exists regardless of societal influence? Or do you see the individual as irrelevant on this subject?
    The individual is irrelevant, as an individual alone has no need or use for morality. Morality is, by nature and logic, a social construct.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I'm sure in your mind someone can commit legal theft. Again, I disagree with you. To me that's like saying it's legal murder.
    The term theft is not simply a legal term like murder.

  5. #225
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    So you acknowledge that sometimes the law loses?
    It is not a matter of losing. Law was never in a position to have to make a decision. If one or the other would have taken action to dissolve the marriage Law would have. This was an example of two people deciding for whatever reason to stand pat and hold their hands. I did though in a different post make this point. Someone had said if a poor person steals food or stays inside a building that is off limits to survive and is arrested no one really wants to see this person punished. A judge may well decide to show leniency and not punish this person. He may back off the strict letter of the law in favor of his personal feelings. In a case such as this it gives the appearance that Law lost. It is really not the case. It is a personal decision maybe wrongly given by a judge. So there may well be some exceptions but they are few and far between. Thanks
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Just like the example with the gunman above, situations you guys always ignore, when it comes to life and death (and even severe injury) there are exceptions. There's nothing illogical or immoral about it.
    That is so dishonest. When someone poses a immediate imminent threat to your life it is of course moral to remove that threat. That has really nothing at all to do with the poor man example.

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Purgatory
    Last Seen
    05-11-14 @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The individual is irrelevant, as an individual alone has no need or use for morality. Morality is, by nature and logic, a social construct.
    I think that vantage, though with merit, lacks breadth of perspective. It's extremely erroneous to simply set aside the individual in any discussion of the subjective. You would have some all-encompassing morality? What about different levels of society, smaller and greater variegated communities with their own mores? And just casting off the individual like that, an individual alone is no use to anything. We are human beings. We affirm ourselves in relation to our fellows. But within that construct the individual mind still supersedes all else. What you're talking about is a vague median point, a point of confluence, a consensus of the majority (which is often wrong.) Morality, as an idea, still springs from the mind, and the mind is ever-shifting—and highly variable. You cannot tell me that the individual is irrelevant to such a fluxile concept. You do yourself an intellectual disservice by not viewing this idea of morality within all of the states in which it exists.

  8. #228
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,344

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Incarnari View Post
    I think that vantage, though with merit, lacks breadth of perspective.
    The only thing lacking perspective is your argument. What good does morality do for a person who is entirely alone? Without society, morality loses all purpose and meaning. A sociopath that lacks empathy is alone and effectively outside any moral system that any society might establish; that's why using sociopaths for support in an argument about morality is nonsense.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Purgatory
    Last Seen
    05-11-14 @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The only thing lacking perspective is your argument. What good does morality do for a person who is entirely alone? Without society, morality loses all purpose and meaning. A sociopath that lacks empathy is alone and effectively outside any moral system that any society might establish; that's why using sociopaths for support in an argument about morality is nonsense.
    ...You don't seem to have interpreted my points correctly. I'm not talking about the individual alone. The individual alone is indeed irrelevant. But the individual in relation to others is of massive import to this discussion. My last post had nothing to do with sociopaths. I was simply defending the fluidity of morality. In fact none of my posts do strictly. If one wishes to do harm (most likely not conceived of as this,) and has dehumanized the object of that malice (or wayward affection,) from their perspective, they are in the right. And it is very easy to make the unconscious concession of dehumanization without being a sociopath, in fact it is quintessential error of the human mind. I understand where you stand, it also being an essential perspective in this discussion; but you're not seeing the wider spectrum, and the worth of the individual morality when considering the greater ideal of morality.

  10. #230
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The individual is irrelevant, as an individual alone has no need or use for morality. Morality is, by nature and logic, a social construct.
    The individual is 100% relevant, since it is individuals who interact with each other, morally or immorally. Morality is meaningless, on any level but the level of individual actions and choices.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •