View Poll Results: What is morality/

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • a false concept

    5 7.04%
  • the laws of a particular society

    20 28.17%
  • the laws of God

    10 14.08%
  • the laws of nature

    9 12.68%
  • other

    27 38.03%
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 380

Thread: morality

  1. #151
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Societies morality does not interest me and nor does individual morality. It's a matter of reason. The example you gave defies the very foundation of morality and replaces it with pity and abuse.
    Now you're just lecturing - good job!
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't recall having a problem with gays. Perhaps because I'm consistent and god is not.


    Right. Because I buy into that mess...........It's not enough for you to say you don't have a problem with gays, far from it.................

  3. #153
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The philosophy you reference is both from reason and morality.
    I think the philosophy was from reason alone - but I have no doubt there was personal bias thrown in there. How could there not be?
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 05-05-13 at 02:23 AM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #154
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    There can be basic moral standards and individual interpretations in the implementation of those standards. Everyone knows right from wrong, yet the question is largely what one can get away with (personally and otherwise). As far as your nonsense, above, you'll have to file the false dichotomy founded in ignorantly cherry-picked absolutism elsewhere.
    Basic moral standards according to whom? You are now in three posts relaying different information. If you can't even keep tabs on your moral decisions in three posts how will you get a moral consensus with a multitude of people. Does everyone know the difference between right and wrong? A Sociopath, does such a person as this know the difference. Yes and morality is individually governed by what said person can get away with. Does what is perceived as right and wrong matter. I cherry picked nothing but used your own statements against your argument. You have created the doubt in the dependability of such moral efficiency as a premise for creating Law.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Now you're just lecturing - good job!
    Is it not just pity and abuse? The people you reference pity the poor man due to his need and excuse his abuses towards others. I don't believe it can be anything else. Is it not reasonable to say that abandoning your morality for an exception is not holding to it?

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by katiegrrl0 View Post
    Basic moral standards according to whom? You are now in three posts relaying different information. If you can't even keep tabs on your moral decisions in three posts how will you get a moral consensus with a multitude of people. Does everyone know the difference between right and wrong? A Sociopath, does such a person as this know the difference. Yes and morality is individually governed by what said person can get away with. Does what is perceived as right and wrong matter. I cherry picked nothing but used your own statements against your argument. You have created the doubt in the dependability of such moral efficiency as a premise for creating Law.
    Can you use a sociopath to decide on the morality of the average person?

  7. #157
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Can you use a sociopath to decide on the morality of the average person?
    I don't believe so but ecoform seems to think so.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  8. #158
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Is it not just pity and abuse? The people you reference pity the poor man due to his need and excuse his abuses towards others. I don't believe it can be anything else. Is it not reasonable to say that abandoning your morality for an exception is not holding to it?
    I don't think it is an abandonment of morality. Again, you continue to provide evidence of my point.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: morality

    >" National law is more a moral than a legal science. Law is a rule of action prescribed by competent authority. Moreover, all Law implies some sanction to enforce it. Now National law is that which defines and regulates the social duties of Nation to Nation. Where then is the authority that prescribes such duties, and where the sanction that enforces them?

    To find these we must go back to the individual Man, and see whether such duties appertain to him; by what authority, and with what sanctions.

    We assume the maxim "cuivis Natura convenienter vivere opportet."

    If then we can show that the nature of Man is such as to make society one of the conditions of his existence, we may thence infer his social duties.

    Now, out of Society the Human Race could not exist, for

    1. The infant would presently perish if not supplied with food and warmth.

    2. The human mother, unlike other animals is hardly less helpless than her new-born babe, and she too would perish without aid.

    3. The husband and father gives the needed aid only because he knows himself to be so; and this knowledge he must owe to social regulation, unless we suppose him and his family disconnected entirely from all others.

    4. On that supposition it would be impossible for him at once to feed and defend his wife and child. While he hunts the deer, the tiger devours them.

    This infirmity of the individual man is the strength of the Race. It binds men together, and makes the strength the knowledge and resources of the whole, the strength, knowledge and resources of each.

    From this social nature we infer social duties: prescribed by the author of that Nature.

    The sanction is the destruction which a neglect of them would bring on the race.

    The universal law which binds all things "Natura convenienter vivere," is faithfully obeyed by all things but man. Why not by him?

    He has a will wayward and perverse, passions that mislead, and a reason too short-sighted to keep him always in the path of duty.

    To reform this will; to regulate these passions and enlighten this reason is the business of all Education from the cradle to the death-bed.

    Even while man resists the teachings of Wisdom and Virtue, he acknowledges, in general terms, the social duties arising from his social nature.

    This admission is the basis Natural Law; which teaches the duties of Man to Man.

    Can he lawfully refuse to perform them?

    Can he, by his own act, shake off the obligation to perform them?

    Can he lawfully disable himself to perform them?

    They are due to all. Can he, by leaguing with a few, free himself from his duties to the rest?

    To all these questions reason answers "no."

    Then a community so knit together that the performance of the duties of its members to strangers is made impracticable, must assume them.

    Communities are thus bound to fulfil to other communities the duties which the members of the one owe to the members of the other as natural men.

    Thus the Law of Nature becomes the Law of Nations.

    It is the same code whose maxims are summed up in the rule, "Whatsoever ye would that others should do unto you, the same do ye also unto them."

    Its sanction is the same that denounces "tribulation and anguish upon every soul of man that doeth evil." What is all this but Morality. "<

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: morality

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I don't think it is an abandonment of morality. Again, you continue to provide evidence of my point.
    It is an abandonment of morality. If the moral position is against theft then morality dedicates that the rich man nor the poor can steal and be morally in the right. Be that for their survival, their desire, or otherwise. As I said, this position that they hold is not a moral position, but a position based on pity and abuse.
    Last edited by Henrin; 05-05-13 at 02:42 AM.

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •