View Poll Results: An Atheist President?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 40.38%
  • No

    11 21.15%
  • Indifferent

    20 38.46%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 163

Thread: An Atheist President?

  1. #41
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Wouldn't an atheist president be the ideal choice to lead the country? In fact, shouldn't we require our elected officials to forsake religion in order to better serve us and uphold the separation of Church and State?
    Should we require it? No. Does it make any difference to me personally? No. As long as they can abide by constitutional law, I don't care if they believe in green Martians.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #42
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: An Atheist President?

    I reckon national leaders should have some tact when it comes to their religion or lack thereof. Keep it somewhat personal, don't make it part of your campaign and take the high road if people try to challenge you on it.

  3. #43
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I'm not making anything up. Throughout most of human history, atheists, infidels, and non-believers were dealt with harshly. Intellectuals often had to frame their discoveries/ideas in the context of religion in order to avoid torture or death, and often that did not save them. Many intellectuals were genuinely religious, but as I said, those were the times. The universe was much smaller.
    I don't see how someones personal beliefs affects their social beliefs, unless you can't separate them? Besides you only know what someone tells you they believe, not what they may actually believe. I wonder how many Presidents professed belief in God and religion but weren't actually sure?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #44
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Well said, Pero! Most people who are interested in religion go to the church, mosque, etc to hear about religion...they do not look to DC for that. Most of us want a POTUS who does the job he was elected to do, and that means lead the Country, with the help of Congress, and get things done! Our infrastructure is in sad shape, our debt is steadily climbing, more and more people are falling behind, so there is plenty to keep everyone busy! I suggest they get to it!
    Write or right or rite or what ever as rain. Go get em girl.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #45
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I thought it was obvious that, since we're dealing with an elected office, the candidate would have to be electable. That is not obvious? Sorry, sometimes I overestimate what is obvious.
    To be clear, you want to bar Christians from holding public office?

  6. #46
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly, what the first amendment does is give us the freedom of religion, any religion, not freedom from religion which so many seem to think that is what it says. Congress or the government can't establish an official state sponsored religion, neither can government make the united states a religious free zone which at time I would swear the SCOTUS and others are trying to do so.
    It cannot make the US a religious free zone, but it does guarantee that religious laws cannot be imposed on non-believers. The establishment clause also means a lot more than simply disallowing the state from endorsing a single state religion. The establishment that it prohibits can also include effective and constructive establishment.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Should we require it? No. Does it make any difference to me personally? No. As long as they can abide by constitutional law, I don't care if they believe in green Martians.
    See, that's not right. If they believe in Martians, then they're probably dumb or nuts. We've examined Mars in great detail, and there's no one there. And that's why I certainly would respect the intelligence of an atheist over a theist, because the evidence against deities is tremendous. Someone who made real decisions about policy based on what he or she perceived as god handing out orders would bother me immensely, because that's kinda nuts to me. Bush defended the war in Iraq, back in 2004, by saying that he thought god had told him to bring freedom to Middle Eastern nations. Several of the Republican candidates in 2008 said that they believed that god had commanded them to run. Sure, some of them were just using religious rhetoric to pander for votes, but the ones that actually believe that there's a bearded old man up there who is taking an active part in our politics is scary. Paul Broun, a Georgia congressman, is on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology, and condemns a lot of modern biology as "lies from the pit of hell". That scares me, a lot. I don't see how a person who thinks that science is a tool by an evil satyr to trick people is qualified to make decisions about laws pertaining to science. Just like I don't see how a person who thinks that god maintains the world in a constant state is qualified to make decisions about the environment or climate change. I don't see how a person who thinks that their religion requires them to conduct a holy war on Islam is qualified to be commander in chief, either.

    Leaders who actually think this stuff is true are very dangerous and should not be elected into office. Obviously, I'm not saying they should be legally prevented from running because of it, but they should be laughed out of the race, because they are nuts and are dangerous. And so we should care what they believe. We shouldn't elect conspiracy theorists either. Or lots of people who believe crazy things.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #47
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: An Atheist President?

    What is religion anyway? I consider myself to have faith but I reject the notion that I'm 'religious.' I find this to be a difficult concept for atheists, agnostics and even some believers to grasp.

    To me faith is about a direct relationship with God foremostly. It can include but does not require associations with others of faith but absent associations there is likely to be a spiritual health problem.

    To me religion is all about associations with others through a culture of piety that can include but does not require a relationship with God. Devotion to the religious institution is in reality often the 'god' religious people serve and maintaining extra-Biblical traditions of the religious culture where diviation from the non-Biblical traditions are held out as disobedience to God.

    To answer the question, I would consider the faith or lack thereof of any candidate for any office. It's depends on who they're running against, platform, etc. I wouldn't be surprised and in fact think its likely we've had Presidents who did not believe in God but belonged to a religious group. In the deception that often accompanies politics I also think its likely we've had Presidents who only pretended to be people of faith in order to garner votes from people of faith.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #48
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    To be clear, you want to bar Christians from holding public office?
    I want that, in an ideal world, but that's not what my poll is referring to.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I'm not making anything up. Throughout most of human history, atheists, infidels, and non-believers were dealt with harshly. Intellectuals often had to frame their discoveries/ideas in the context of religion in order to avoid torture or death, and often that did not save them. Many intellectuals were genuinely religious, but as I said, those were the times. The universe was much smaller.
    That appears to be a goalpost change. Your original position was that a great mind couldn't be religious, and now it seems that after you realize the folly of your argument you simply state that many intellectuals were genuinely religious. Sorry, but you appear to be merely trying to not drown in your erroneous argument by shifting towards mine. I have no reason to consider your post here worthy of my efforts.

  10. #50
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: An Atheist President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post



    See, that's not right. If they believe in Martians, then they're probably dumb or nuts.
    It is quite apparent that sanity and intelligence are not pre-requisites for holding elected office.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •