Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 364

Thread: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    24,186

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    You cannot give rapists/pedophiles the death penalty.

    Why?

    Because if you do - then please tell me why a rapist/pedophile would not kill his victim?

    In fact, he would be stupid not to.

    Why leave a living witness when the maximum penalty for raping/killing his victim is exactly the same as just raping his victim?


    Unless you want a LOT less rape survivors, then you cannot make the penalty for rape/molestation the death penalty.
    A dead criminal cannot commit any more crimes.

  2. #42
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Pedophiles don't get better and they have devastated a child's life not to mention devastating the entire family. Rapist have violated a womans rights in the most despicable fashion possible and scarred her for life. The impact of these crimes on children, their parents and women are so grievous that IMO the perpetrates should get the death penalty. Not only would this be justice but the incidents of rape and child molesting-rape would plummet.
    This country needs to get over its creepy medieval attitudes toward sex.

    I often hear sentiments in the kind of "Rape victims are better off dead" than continuing on after the experience. I'm not sure that people who say that understand what dying entails, or have thought about the opportunities of life that a dead rape victim would be missing out on. While I'm sure its traumatic, rape is a form of assault. It might be reasonable to make paying restitution or a good public beating/shaming a much larger part of the punishment, but those are about the only amendment I'm willing to make to our current laws.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 05-03-13 at 05:22 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  3. #43
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    This country needs to get over its creepy medieval attitudes toward sex.

    I often hear sentiments in the kind of "Rape victims are better off dead" than continuing on after the experience. I'm not sure that people who say that understand what dying entails, or have thought about the opportunities of life that a dead rape victim would be missing out on. While I'm sure its traumatic, rape is a form of assault. It might be reasonable to make paying restitution or a good public beating/shaming a much larger part of the punishment, but those are about the only amendment I'm willing to make to our current laws.
    The only person I've heard say that is - to be specific - YOU.

    Your ID you selected strongly advises how seriously we consider your messages.

  4. #44
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    A dead criminal cannot commit any more crimes.
    That is the deterence factor.

    People generally do not consider the degree of punishment when committing a crime - because they don't think they will get caught. Whether it is life in prison or death penalty will not affect the number of crimes committed by 1% - OTHER than sex offenders against children and violent rapists have an extremely HIGH rate of raping again when released. The death penalty eliminated that possibility.

    I would limit it to instances of highly aggravated (seriously bodily injury) and against young children however.

  5. #45
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Why life in prison? So they can have plenty of captives to rape? Or what?
    So that they are physically separated from any potential victims.

    And we do not become murderers.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-09-18 @ 04:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    So that they are physically separated from any potential victims.
    Rape happens in prison. Just because a rapist goes to prison, that doesn't mean that he will stop raping.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    When you say things like "the incidents of rape and child molesting-rape would plummet", you need to back that up with research.

    Also, I don't support the death penalty in the United States as it isn't necessary to keep the public safe. Our justice system should not be concerned with taking revenge out on people.
    I do support revenge.

  8. #48
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,389

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Pedophiles don't get better and they have devastated a child's life not to mention devastating the entire family.
    You should differentiate between pedophiles and child molesters. A pedophile, while we might find them distasteful, may go their whole life without actually acting on their desires. As long as they don't, I don't have a problem with it. As far as giving the death penalty to child molesters, I'm torn. On the one hand, I do think they deserve it (at least the really bad ones do). However, I think it would make them more likely to kill the kids they molest. If you're looking at the death penalty anyway, you might as well kill the kid, since a dead kid can't talk about what happened, and you might get away with hit.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Rapist have violated a womans rights in the most despicable fashion possible and scarred her for life.
    I definitely wouldn't support the death penalty for rape unless we greatly narrowed the definition of rape. Someone who takes advantage of a woman who is passed out drunk is guilty of rape legally speaking. That person definitely did something wrong, and should be punished, but it shouldn't be grounds for the death penalty. And again, it would increase the chance of the rapist killing his victim, for the same reason.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #49
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The only person I've heard say that is - to be specific - YOU.

    Your ID you selected strongly advises how seriously we consider your messages.
    Believe it or not, I'm not here to impress you.

    The idea is only rarely expressed in such strong or overt terms, but the belief that rape (in its most common and ordinary form) is an existential horror of such magnitude that it is almost impossible to recover from and must (almost necessarily) ruin the victim's life is always scratching the surface of our culture's collective thinking. Often it bubbles over in some expression or another. It compares unfavorably to that trend in India where women become suicidal because they were seen naked.

    At this point in human history we ought to have more pragmatic attitudes about sex and how it relates to a person's self-respect. Assuming that we don't want to revive indentured servitude or make fines or public shaming a larger part of our justice system, the multiple-year terms of imprisonment is about where the punishment needs to be.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 05-03-13 at 06:58 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    An eye for an eye would reduce the extreme crime rates we have now and return the nation to a society where people respect one another.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •