Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 364

Thread: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    My opinion is that all human life has value.
    Can you explain to me what value a human has that rapes and kills a 6 year old? Or that has raped a woman and beat her almost to death, more than once?


    Yes, it is, it produces the same result.
    No, not even close. One get's rid of the problem, forever, the other doesn't.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  2. #122
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Can you explain to me what value a human has that rapes and kills a 6 year old? Or that has raped a woman and beat her almost to death, more than once?
    Human life has intrinsic value


    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    No, not even close. One get's rid of the problem, forever, the other doesn't.
    Life in prison without parole does the same for the general public as the death penalty.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Coddling rapists? Are you daft? Not using the government to maim people is not codding. Jesus, the hysterics are getting out of hand.
    Not being hysteric. I just have a grand total of zero sympathy for those who decide to abuse other people. And yes, I do believe they deserve to be maimed.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Not being hysteric. I just have a grand total of zero sympathy for those who decide to abuse other people. And yes, I do believe they deserve to be maimed.
    And I do not believe your opinions give proper cause to use grandiose government force against the individual.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #125
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Human life has intrinsic value
    That kinda avoids the question. No, life doesn't have any 'intrinsic' value, unless one believes in mythology and such. When you work, raise a family, help others, you generally have value... when you murder, rape and molest, you have ZERO value to society.

    Life in prison without parole does the same for the general public as the death penalty.
    Has anyone in prison, on a life without parole sentence, killed a guard? That the possibility exists means that no, they are not removed from society.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Human life has intrinsic value




    Life in prison without parole does the same for the general public as the death penalty.
    That intrinsic value isn't set in stone. And quite frankly, a rapist has a human value close to zero in my opinion and the value saved by preventing them from committing any further acts far outweighs any value they are losing in the process.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And I do not believe your opinions give proper cause to use grandiose government force against the individual.
    The poor poor rapist. They just can't make it in this world, can they?

  8. #128
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    The poor poor rapist. They just can't make it in this world, can they?
    It's not just the rapist we have to be concerned about. We have to acknowledge the lack of perfect knowledge and that innocent people will also be sentenced. If you sentence them to life in prison, there's always a chance that you discover the wrong deed; which is not available with the death penalty. Give also the cost of the death penalty and that it offers no additional safety for the public in general, and we begin to see an archaic and unnecessary system.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #129
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    That intrinsic value isn't set in stone. And quite frankly, a rapist has a human value close to zero in my opinion and the value saved by preventing them from committing any further acts far outweighs any value they are losing in the process.
    That's like saying the innate and inalienable rights of the individual "isn't set in stone". In essence, it means you do not understand what the words mean. Innate worth means that human life innately holds worth. And no, that isn't subject to the ramblings of emotional fools trying to excuse their use of government for their personal revenge. There is an absolute scale, and human life has worth. I don't care what you think it is, what you feel it is, what your opinion on it is; it changes not the fact and your opinion is not proper argument for use of government force.

    You people just look at the individual case. "Oh this guy should die because of X", but you never consider the actual, factual system you are calling into play which isn't limited to your trite and composed individual circumstances but rather falls under an entire demographic and statistic of systematic distribution. One guy may have to die, but if you kill an innocent to get that guy, then you may not use the court system.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Death penalty for rapist and pedophiles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's not just the rapist we have to be concerned about. We have to acknowledge the lack of perfect knowledge and that innocent people will also be sentenced. If you sentence them to life in prison, there's always a chance that you discover the wrong deed; which is not available with the death penalty. Give also the cost of the death penalty and that it offers no additional safety for the public in general, and we begin to see an archaic and unnecessary system.
    I wasn't arguing for the death penalty.

    Just for castration for serial rapists and pedophiles.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •