View Poll Results: If you had to support or accept just one in changing existing law, which would it be?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Universally legalizing same sex marriage.

    31 59.62%
  • Universally legalizing polygamy.

    3 5.77%
  • Universally legalizing recreational drug use.

    8 15.38%
  • Universally legalizing prostitution.

    10 19.23%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Controversial issues that some people are calling for change in existing law. If you had to support (or accept) just one and only one, which would it be? Trying to determine which of these are we most willing to accept.

    Feel free to elaborate as to the whys and why nots.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Same sex marriage. Historically both Prostitution and Polygamy have customarily led to human rights abuses and little in the way of societal benefits. Drug legalization, while acceptable in limited form, doesn't approach the SSM debate in terms of importance or potential benefits.

  3. #3
    User Dubliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    61

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Controversial issues that some people are calling for change in existing law. If you had to support (or accept) just one and only one, which would it be? Trying to determine which of these are we most willing to accept.

    Feel free to elaborate as to the whys and why nots.
    I think same sex marriage should be the first one to be accepted. People should be allowed to marry whomever they want to, regardless of their gender. Frankly, it's ridiculous that people want to regulate other people's marriages.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Controversial issues that some people are calling for change in existing law. If you had to support (or accept) just one and only one, which would it be? Trying to determine which of these are we most willing to accept.

    Feel free to elaborate as to the whys and why nots.
    In the order I would legalize:

    1. Prostitution – It is the woman’s body and she ought to be able to do with it as she pleases, which includes making money from it. Sex is great.
    2. Polygamy – See number 1 minus the money.
    3. Gay Marriage – Men have bodies too.
    4. Drugs – Never used any illegal drugs and don’t plan on starting. Not important, at lest to me. Sex is great.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #5
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Drugs. The Idiotic War on (some) Drugs has such enormous human and economic costs, ending it should be a very high priority.

    Prostitution comes close, considering how keeping it illegal creates an underworld crawling with human traffickers, violent pimps and all kinds of abuse.

    I support gay marriage, but it's just not the same level of urgency.

    As for polygamy, de facto it is not banned, and I see no special reason to support it as another form of government-certified contract.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,097

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    in fact gay marriage shouldnt put into same category as the legalization of drug use ,prostitution and polygamy

    the others dont help you be more civilized
    Last edited by Medusa; 04-28-13 at 10:18 PM.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  7. #7
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    in fact gay marriage shouldnt put into same category as the legalization of drug use ,prostitution and polygamy

    the others dont help you be more civilized
    Unless you consider freedom a part of civilization. Or the ability to recognize harmful, failed policies for what they are and discontinue them.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Drugs. The Idiotic War on (some) Drugs has such enormous human and economic costs, ending it should be a very high priority.

    Prostitution comes close, considering how keeping it illegal creates an underworld crawling with human traffickers, violent pimps and all kinds of abuse.

    I support gay marriage, but it's just not the same level of urgency.

    As for polygamy, de facto it is not banned, and I see no special reason to support it as another form of government-certified contract.
    I think a subconscious assumption some people make, including me, is making/keeping something illegal makes it go away. Thanks for making me think.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #9
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,097

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Unless you consider freedom a part of civilization. Or the ability to recognize harmful, failed policies for what they are and discontinue them.
    freedom has some limits.........
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  10. #10
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    freedom has some limits.........
    Not quite: our actions should be limited as not infringe upon other people's freedom.

    (Naturally, freedom itself is limited for children and mentally disabled people, but I am assuming we are talking about competent adults, considering the topic).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •