View Poll Results: If you had to support or accept just one in changing existing law, which would it be?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Universally legalizing same sex marriage.

    31 59.62%
  • Universally legalizing polygamy.

    3 5.77%
  • Universally legalizing recreational drug use.

    8 15.38%
  • Universally legalizing prostitution.

    10 19.23%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

  1. #31
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    yes really
    i never said it would have an "impact" it just simply wouldnt stop it and people drink themselves to death now
    You are dodging the real question.

    The Idiotic War on (some) Drugs kills people, maims people, robs people of their future - right now, as we speak. The inability of gays to marry is wrong, wrong, wrong - but it does not cause as much suffering and destruction, by any stretch of imagination.

    Ideals and ideas are important. The real, living, breathing people are more important. No?

  2. #32
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    1.)You are dodging the real question.

    2.)The Idiotic War on (some) Drugs kills people, maims people, robs people of their future - right now, as we speak.

    3.)The inability of gays to marry is wrong, wrong, wrong - but it does not cause as much suffering and destruction, by any stretch of imagination.

    Ideals and ideas are important. The real, living, breathing people are more important. No?
    1.) what? LMAO I dodged nothing lol

    2.) i agree it does those things, and drugs will continue to do that when legal. Yes ia gree with you in lesser amount but it will still happen.

    3.) i disagree, people not having equal rights i view as worse easily. You are free to disagree but theres nothing you say that will changes this for the simply fact of people simply dont have to buy/sell/use/transport illegal drugs.

    4.) Yes and real living breathing people that are more important to me are the ones that are discriminated against and don't have equal rights rather than the ones that choose to break the law.

    BUT i do support legalizing drugs to a point
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    I think they should all be legal. The abuses around prostituion, drugs, and polygamy generally happen when they are run in the shadows. Legalize them and by bringing htem into the light the abuses can be mitigated.

    But if I can only pick one to legalize, or to legalize first, it would be SSM. For me equality under the law is important and at least polygamy, prostitution, and drugs are equally illegal for all of us.

  4. #34
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    I actually have to go with legalizing drug use. Seems like an inobvious choice, but I'll explain...

    First of all, drug use, by FAR, affects the largest amount of people. More than half the US population has smoked marijuana, and that's just one illegal drug.

    Second, it is largely drug use laws that are powering our prison culture, which destroys an unbelievable number of lives.

    It also powers our cartels, which also destroys an unbelievable number of lives.

    And it also stops addicts from getting help, by either throwing them in a cell or making them so afraid of the cell that they refuse to talk to anyone.

    That number of lives these laws wreck is just far and away the biggest.

    What I'd like to do isn't quite as simple as just "legalize everything," but it's in the neighborhood.

  5. #35
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,716

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Same sex marriage. I'd hate for someone to tell me who I could or could not marry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #36
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Universally legalizing same sex marriage.


    Universally legalizing polygamy.


    Universally legalizing recreational drug use.


    Universally legalizing prostitution.



    Maybe a year or eighteen months ago I would have said same sex marriage hands down. Being lesbian it seems obvious. Now that one goes out the window because everyday more and more I do not marriage in any form should be regulated by the government. I am for abolishing the entire institution as the divorce rate proves it does not work and means zero to half the people out there. If you look at the rate of infidelity the disrespect for the institution can reach numbers as high as 75%. I could not vote for this.

    Next we have polygamy. This is a form of marriage and it goes out with all of the rest. I live in a polyamorous relationship with three other women. I don't need the government to say we are married. This is out.

    The last two well they give me pause. Drugs, Prostitution. I have no problem with either being legal. I voted for the drugs because it is no worse than alcohol. If you can drink why not smoke pot or do something else. Why arrest people and load the prisons for this. If it is legal and the sales are regulated it takes the drug related crime out of the loop, prisons get less crowded and law enforcement can do other things.

    I voted the drugs.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Joe drug user starts using heroine. Because of this eventually loses his ability to function at work and loses his job. His wife and kids have to get on food stamps creating a tax liability for others. He robs a convenience store to finance his next drug purchase triggering costs to the owner of the store.
    1) You are stereotyping heroin users. The vast majority of heroin users are perfectly capable of holding a job.

    2) If drugs like heroin were legal Joe's heroin fix would probably only cost about the same as a cup of coffee, so he probably wouldn't be robbing any convenience stores.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    All of them.

    Polygamy is nonsense, IMO - but if someone wants more then one spouse, it's none of my (or the state's) business.

    The other three are no brainers - they should all be legalized.


    If I had to choose just one - recreational drugs.

  9. #39
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,059

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    I absolutely go for same sex marriage first. The only other one I would also support legalizing would be prostitution, and only if it is strictly regulated. Polygamy would have to include a lot of fixes to the vast amount of legal issues that are bound to arise if we simply legalized it.

    As for the drugs, I don't understand why so many believe that legalizing drugs would somehow wonderfully fix our drug problem. The most abused drugs in America are prescription drugs, drugs that can be legally gotten and are and yet people still misuse them constantly. In the past, it seemed that all the famous people died of illegal drugs, but the majority of the last famous deaths we have had due to drugs have been due to prescription drug abuse/misuse. To me, that just furthers says how stupid people are. I see no reason to just open access to all drugs and let people get what they want. It won't be all sunshine and rainbows. There will be many issues.

    And the current prohibition of drugs cannot be compared to alcohol prohibition because we have so many different laws and taxes and regulations that have gone into place that aren't simply going away just because drugs are legalized. There would still need to be FDA approval. There would still be taxes, and a lot of them, placed on those drugs, likely as soon as they are legal, by as many people as can place such taxes. The cartels aren't going to simply throw their hands in the air and accept defeat either. And the gangs wouldn't just go away because drugs are legal. They would find something else or work their way into the system through the backdoor. Bootlegging still exists even for alcohol. And the only reason bootlegging didn't gain more hold was because the regulations and taxes on alcohol came about gradually over the last century. That won't be what happens if drugs are made legal.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #40
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Same sex marriage, polygamy, legalized drugs, legalized prostitution?

    Legalizing same sex marriage.
    If I could pick two I'd pick legalizing prostitution.
    I'm not really in favor of legalizing all drugs or polygamy.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •