View Poll Results: Which group?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anarchists

    5 13.16%
  • Ecoterrorists

    2 5.26%
  • Islamic extremists

    23 60.53%
  • Right-wing extremists

    8 21.05%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 210

Thread: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

  1. #91
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    calling it an "excuse suggests that it has no influence. And while I agree that the issues usually go beyond mere ideology, it's clear ideology helps shape our response to such things.

    It's like arguing nazism had no impact on how the Germans responded to the social and economic conditions following ww2
    Well, no, it is nothing like that.

    Who said ideology "makes" people do things? The fact that an ideology would play into their personal calculations would not trump the fact that they were still free acting individuals who chose that course of action. But, it would be equally foolish to suggest that an individuals underlying world view would have no influence on those calculations, either.
    The ideology is how they justify their actions. It is not what causes their actions. The vast majority of people of every ideology do not become terrorists. Ideology is therefore not the issue. To understands what makes terrorists, we have to look at something other than ideology.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #92
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Agreed. Greetings, CJ.
    Good evening 2M - hope all is well with you.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Events...attacks
    But were they done by groups? In many cases they may have been like with Al Qaeda terrorist attacks where they are recognized as a terrorist group, but it appears that most or at least many are done by individuals acting on their own. An individual that may self identify with a group does not mean that the attack was carried out by the group or that the group shares any blame.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #94
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good evening 2M - hope all is well with you.
    All very well. Just back from a weekend with grandchildren in NYC.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #95
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    If they really wanted to, they could label "right-wing extremism" with Islamic terrorism, since it technically is a right-wing thought, but that would also complicate the narrative (unless they wanted to say "terrorism=right wing").
    Would that include the Tea Party too?? I've heard here that they're just awful.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #96
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, no, it is nothing like that.
    Indeed it is. Your saying ideology doesn't have anything to do with how we respond to world events. Well, guess what is an ideology: nazism.



    The ideology is how they justify their actions. It is not what causes their actions.
    1) again, why do you keep using "cause" when I was clear that it does not "cause" but influences?

    2 so nazism was cooked up as an elaborate excuse to kill Jews? Sorry, our morals, view of the world and how it works, and our image of ourselves are all highly dependent on ideology. And clearly all those things influence how we behave in and react to the world

    The vast majority of people of every ideology do not become terrorists.
    Horrible argument that posits all ideologies are equal. Clearly nazism is different than western liberalism

  7. #97
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post

    The United States is the greatest terrorist group of all by far.
    Even the blind can see that this is a plaintive cry for help.

  8. #98
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Perhaps, except the FRC attacker said explicitly and directly that he decided to attack based on SPLC's classification of FRC as a hate group. That case is much clearer than the Beck case.
    The SPLC classifies the FRC as a hate group because of the rhetoric they use against the gay community. The attack against the Tides Foundation was because of lies Glenn Beck told about George Soros, who donates millions to them.


  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The ideology is how they justify their actions. It is not what causes their actions. The vast majority of people of every ideology do not become terrorists. Ideology is therefore not the issue. To understands what makes terrorists, we have to look at something other than ideology.
    1. That's entirely too simplistic. That the vast majority of people in most ideologies do not become terrorists is only evidence that ideology is not, in itself, a problem. However, if a person has a variety of issues from mental illness to a sense of alienation, a particular ideology may provide them with the worldview or motive necessary to tip them over the edge to terrorism. In those cases, the ideology is, contrary to your assertions, a cause or influence for their behavior. This doesn't mean that the ideology alone is a problem anymore than a mental illness or sense of alienation would problems on their own. But, again, the ideology - in that circumstance - would, in fact, be a cause of their behavior.

    2. Whether you meant to or not, your language implies that their is a single cause of terrorist behavior. You say "ideology is not the issue", "we have to look at something other than ideology" and "it is not what causes their actions". All the bold is in the singular tense and thus, indicates a single cause. However, there tend to be multiple causes for all behaviors - terrorist or not.

    3. Your continuous assertions that all terrorists are just "insane" are false. Dismissing people who do unspeakable things as "insane" is just as lazy as dismissing them as "evil". Both categories are just used as catchalls to describe individuals and behaviors that people don't understand.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,918
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Who is responsible for the most terrorist attacks in the US?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. That's entirely too simplistic. That the vast majority of people in most ideologies do not become terrorists is only evidence that ideology is not, in itself, a problem. However, if a person has a variety of issues from mental illness to a sense of alienation, a particular ideology may provide them with the worldview or motive necessary to tip them over the edge to terrorism. In those cases, the ideology is, contrary to your assertions, a cause or influence for their behavior. This doesn't mean that the ideology alone is a problem anymore than a mental illness or sense of alienation would problems on their own. But, again, the ideology - in that circumstance - would, in fact, be a cause of their behavior.

    2. Whether you meant to or not, your language implies that their is a single cause of terrorist behavior. You say "ideology is not the issue", "we have to look at something other than ideology" and "it is not what causes their actions". All the bold is in the singular tense and thus, indicates a single cause. However, there tend to be multiple causes for all behaviors - terrorist or not.

    3. Your continuous assertions that all terrorists are just "insane" are false. Dismissing people who do unspeakable things as "insane" is just as lazy as dismissing them as "evil". Both categories are just used as catchalls to describe individuals and behaviors that people don't understand.
    ideology certainly plays a huge part in it, along with the overwhelming urge to correct a wrong, either actual or perceived with as many wrongs as it takes.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •