View Poll Results: True or False?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

    1 4.00%
  • False

    24 96.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

  1. #31
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    No, thats what you mean. Imo, both sides are running neck to neck when it comes to misleading and extortion. Although, the Republicans did get one "pants on fire" and the Democrats didn't get any. And while the Democrats got one almost true and a couple half truths, the Republicans didn't get any truths at all....

    Fact checking the sequester: a round-up - The Washington Post

    Apparently, the GOP congressmen didn't like the sequester screwing up their flight plans otherwise they would have just let the FAA dangle and the public be damned. So it's obvious that unless an issue effects them personally, they could care less.
    Rich people's private jets would be delayed. You should have celebrated Sequestration as sticking it to the big guy.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Rich people's private jets would be delayed. You should have celebrated Sequestration as sticking it to the big guy.
    Most congressmen don't have private jets and even if they did they're usually located at private airports. But do keep showing your extreme bias because it makes good target practice.

    My Dad uses the VA hospital and because the sequester funding was cut for VA hospitals they had to lay off some of their doctors. So the delay for getting an appointment now can take almost three months. But since that doesn't effect our congressmen personally they could care less.

  3. #33
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Many can be considered compassionate conservatives. However, the Tea Party has declared war on that, and some of the base have labeled Bush-style compassionate conservatism as "too liberal." Myself, I was more aligned with that style of conservatism than most other styles.
    You mean big gubment liberalism with a cowboy hat?

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,963

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Where appropriately applied, social services should not go away. I stress where appropriately applied. Its anecdotal so take it for what it is worth, but I will give just one of thousands of examples where it is NOT appropriately applied (anecdotal, but happens several times a day in the hospital. This was yesterday). 21 year old young woman presents in the ER claiming extreme pain and anxiety. 'NEEDS' meds...'must' have them. Quick background and assessment and low and behold, she is on her 4th hospital of the day, and her and her boyfriend are hitting every ER they can to get pain meds. When called on the knowledge, she claims suicidal ideation and threatens to cut herself in the parking lot. Hospital bills Medicare and SS for ER visit, complete labs, psych assessment...in total...about 3.5k per visit per day. Her 'disability'? Hell if I know. She is insulin dependent diabetic but other than that absolutely healthy and capable. She is 'in the system' and will be for the rest of her life. Too easy to get on, too easy to stay on, and too many opportunities for abuse. The fed system is a cancer. The numbers of young physically healthy able bodied individuals on disability is climbing. It wont get better. It is a self perpetuating system. State and local services would offer better oversight and might make people aware of just how much money is being shoveled into that debt hole.

    There is a difference between "no fault of their own" and classic, chronic malingerers. Because the fed pot is so immense, care providers profit from these types of people. And going back to the 'compassion' part...I personally think the WORST THING we can do to people like that is to continue to facilitate them to live that existence for the next 50+ years.
    To the bolded, what does that have to do with drug seeking behavior?

    You didn't say she was disabled, but you allude to it.

    There is a difference, but withdrawing Federal support for the "no fault of their own" people and leave them to the mercy of a state who's legislators don't care, is not the answer. Trying to get state and local attention for those who need and deserve the help under that designation, is extremely hard. Even with laws in place that should make them provide assistance.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #35
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,746

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    To the bolded, what does that have to do with drug seeking behavior?

    You didn't say she was disabled, but you allude to it.

    There is a difference, but withdrawing Federal support for the "no fault of their own" people and leave them to the mercy of a state who's legislators don't care, is not the answer. Trying to get state and local attention for those who need and deserve the help under that designation, is extremely hard. Even with laws in place that should make them provide assistance.
    That is the extent of her 'disability'. She is on Medicare and SS. She is one of many people we see that are no different. She is 21...in the blink of an eye she will be no different than any of our 51 year old frequent flyers...the ones that are in and out of psychiatric facilities 15-20 times a year at a cost of about $1700 a day. There are "Million Dollar Murray"s all over the place.

    gladwell dot com - million-dollar murray

    The Fed has proven it is not the answer. All we are doing is playing hide and seek with the bottom line. As long as we can dump the cost onto the fed, the fed can pass it on to future generations. Its insanity.

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,963

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    That is the extent of her 'disability'. She is on Medicare and SS. She is one of many people we see that are no different. She is 21...in the blink of an eye she will be no different than any of our 51 year old frequent flyers...the ones that are in and out of psychiatric facilities 15-20 times a year at a cost of about $1700 a day. There are "Million Dollar Murray"s all over the place.

    gladwell dot com - million-dollar murray

    The Fed has proven it is not the answer. All we are doing is playing hide and seek with the bottom line. As long as we can dump the cost onto the fed, the fed can pass it on to future generations. Its insanity.
    We are in agreement, there are loads of people gaming and using the system. We need to work on getting them out. She may have been designated disabled for a legitimate reason, but has clearly fallen into substance abuse. What's the answer? We shouldn't punish people who have real need because of people like that. Did she get her drugs? Can you say?

    Yes, Million Dollar Murrays are everywhere. I knew one in San Diego.

    The Fed is not the answer for people like that but you have admitted, people who through no fault of their own need assistance. The state is not doing the job and without federal assistance, they would end up in the most destitute of situations.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  7. #37
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,746

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    We are in agreement, there are loads of people gaming and using the system. We need to work on getting them out. She may have been designated disabled for a legitimate reason, but has clearly fallen into substance abuse. What's the answer? We shouldn't punish people who have real need because of people like that. Did she get her drugs? Can you say?

    Yes, Million Dollar Murrays are everywhere. I knew one in San Diego.

    The Fed is not the answer for people like that but you have admitted, people who through no fault of their own need assistance. The state is not doing the job and without federal assistance, they would end up in the most destitute of situations.
    The state isnt doing the job because we have created this monolithic federal system that will. The problem is legend. Abuse is rampant. People that need support cant get it it. Resources are stretched too thin. Resources that should be allocated to recipients are burned in bureaucracy. Federal oversight is horrible. The cost...it should make people shudder. What we are doing with health and social care in this country is no different than what home owners did during the housing bubble...run up massive debts, dump all the debt under the umbrella of a new or refinanced ARM, then lose everything when the adjustable rate becomes unsustainable. In my eyes it is criminal to dump the responsibility for peoples care today on future generations. So...the answer...


    Transition all social services (with the exception of Social Security pensions) to the states. It would take a definite transition plan...5-10 years. It would require some real effort. It would definitely mean higher state taxes but that would be offset by federal tax cuts. There HAS to be changes. What we are doing is not sustainable, but as long as it isnt 'our' problem, no one cares.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,963

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The state isnt doing the job because we have created this monolithic federal system that will. The problem is legend. Abuse is rampant. People that need support cant get it it. Resources are stretched too thin. Resources that should be allocated to recipients are burned in bureaucracy. Federal oversight is horrible. The cost...it should make people shudder. What we are doing with health and social care in this country is no different than what home owners did during the housing bubble...run up massive debts, dump all the debt under the umbrella of a new or refinanced ARM, then lose everything when the adjustable rate becomes unsustainable. In my eyes it is criminal to dump the responsibility for peoples care today on future generations. So...the answer...


    Transition all social services (with the exception of Social Security pensions) to the states. It would take a definite transition plan...5-10 years. It would require some real effort. It would definitely mean higher state taxes but that would be offset by federal tax cuts. There HAS to be changes. What we are doing is not sustainable, but as long as it isnt 'our' problem, no one cares.
    The state isn't doing the job it is already mandated to do, which is meager enough. It had nothing to do with federal funds either. I know of cases in the disability community where parents had to sue for assistance they were already due. Federal funds, I know for a fact, had nothing to do with it.

    I agree, Federal oversight is a problem, then we should be attacking that, not denying people who you have already agreed, deserve assistance.

    5-10 years and to transition, at what level? Then 3-5 years for much of it to suffer cuts. This is what happened with lottery money all over the nation. This huge influx of found money was supposed to go for education and instead of supplementing education, the funds became education as the original money was siphoned off. The same would be true for money allocated for these social services, because at the state level, there is little support. These people do not have the powerful lobbyists with which to fight.

    I agree, there has to be change, but why not change the bureaucracy to be more efficient instead?
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  9. #39
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,746

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    The state isn't doing the job it is already mandated to do, which is meager enough. It had nothing to do with federal funds either. I know of cases in the disability community where parents had to sue for assistance they were already due. Federal funds, I know for a fact, had nothing to do with it.

    I agree, Federal oversight is a problem, then we should be attacking that, not denying people who you have already agreed, deserve assistance.

    5-10 years and to transition, at what level? Then 3-5 years for much of it to suffer cuts. This is what happened with lottery money all over the nation. This huge influx of found money was supposed to go for education and instead of supplementing education, the funds became education as the original money was siphoned off. The same would be true for money allocated for these social services, because at the state level, there is little support. These people do not have the powerful lobbyists with which to fight.

    I agree, there has to be change, but why not change the bureaucracy to be more efficient instead?
    I simply have no faith that left in the fed hands this problem will ever do anything but get worse. I believe in citizens being responsible. Local and state elections are far more easy to get involved and stay involved in. Left to the fed, our great grandkids are going to be handed a 50 trillion dollar debt before they earn their first dime. Left to the fed, citizens of the state dont see those services as 'real' or costing anyone anything. And why should they? rather than pay for those abuses, we let future citizens do it.

  10. #40
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: McConnell Video Touts GOP: ‘We Are The Party Of Compassion’

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    This is where the people realize the governments only tool is force. You don't have to like the truth for it to be the truth.
    That's funny, I feel the same way about Big Business. LOL!
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •