View Poll Results: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 14.67%
  • No

    125 83.33%
  • I don't know.

    3 2.00%
Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 468

Thread: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I own the mower...
    You don't want to mow your lawn, do you?

    Same here. Joe, we have a job for you!

  2. #342
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You don't want to mow your lawn, do you?

    Same here. Joe, we have a job for you!
    Actually, I haven't mowed the lawn for several years now...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #343
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I own the mower...

    We're really kinda running down a rabbit hole here... but not many people are gonna hire a lawn mowing guy who doesn't own his own mower... and given our current unemployement figures (the real figures, not the massaged ones that leave off people who have given up looking) there aren't enough lawns to go around...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #344
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    We're really kinda running down a rabbit hole here... but not many people are gonna hire a lawn mowing guy who doesn't own his own mower... and given our current unemployement figures (the real figures, not the massaged ones that leave off people who have given up looking) there aren't enough lawns to go around...
    No, but there are other jobs that need to be done as well. One just needs to be industrious enough to seek those out and do them well. I never implied that it would be easy, but we have created a society that is simply content with what they are given by government...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #345
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I am starting to realize that people like to bait me into extremes only to use it as ridicule. Yes, this applies to healthcare as well, but of you think it through them you will realize that the lack of government licensure does not mean a lack of certification. An absence of government mandated licensure will mean the market will provide more robust third party certifications for healthcare professionals. It would not be the chaos you envision, the market will provide.
    I was just trying to raise a point that I find important. You said "everybody has a right to do whatever work they wan without being required to obtain government licensure."

    Third parties don't have the authority to grant someone licensure. Licenses come with professional privileges, meaning no one else is allowed to do what you do. The government may recognize a third party certification, but that certification alone should have any kind of legal privileges attached to it. The market shouldn't be trusted with granting certificates/license. Certain things should be left to the market and certain things should be left to the government. When it comes to laws and legal licenses, the government should be in control of that. The market, which doesn't have public interest as its focus, should not be in charge of essentially setting policy regarding public safety and granting licenses to people that give them certain privileges, no private institution should have that power.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #346
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, but there are other jobs that need to be done as well. One just needs to be industrious enough to seek those out and do them well. I never implied that it would be easy, but we have created a society that is simply content with what they are given by government...

    The which was not my point.

    There's millions of people that WANT to work, right now today, and can't find a job.

    Not everyone has the resources or ability to be an enterpreneur.

    47% of America is too damn poor to pay income tax... why is that?


    So do we want more Welfare, more Thieves... or more JOBS?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #347
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The which was not my point.

    There's millions of people that WANT to work, right now today, and can't find a job.

    Not everyone has the resources or ability to be an enterpreneur.

    47% of America is too damn poor to pay income tax... why is that?


    So do we want more Welfare, more Thieves... or more JOBS?
    I want the government to get the eff out of the way. Why are we afraid of utilizing our own natural resources to eliminate our dependence on foreign energy as an example. Our current account account deficit is akin to a tax on everyone that purchases fuel or uses electricity produced by conventional means...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I was just trying to raise a point that I find important. You said "everybody has a right to do whatever work they wan without being required to obtain government licensure."

    Third parties don't have the authority to grant someone licensure. Licenses come with professional privileges, meaning no one else is allowed to do what you do. The government may recognize a third party certification, but that certification alone should have any kind of legal privileges attached to it. The market shouldn't be trusted with granting certificates/license. Certain things should be left to the market and certain things should be left to the government. When it comes to laws and legal licenses, the government should be in control of that. The market, which doesn't have public interest as its focus, should not be in charge of essentially setting policy regarding public safety and granting licenses to people that give them certain privileges, no private institution should have that power.
    I did not say third party licensure, I said certification. Third parties do very well with certification in fields such as IT, already. Think about it, what hospital would hire a doctor with no certification? What practice?

    And it isnt like government licensure is some protection against quackery. Somehow your vaunted coercive licensure regime permits acupuncturists, homeopathy, and other assorted bunk. The markt would do a far better job if it were free to do so.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 05-02-13 at 06:59 PM.

  9. #349
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Look at it like this...

    If Joe can't get a job and doesn't have the means to start his own business... what is he going to do? What's his wife and kids gonna do?

    They're not going away. They're not going to lay down in some quiet corner and politely die so the rest of society doesn't have to bother with them.


    So...

    Do you want Joe working a job, drawing Welfare, or stealing for a living? Pick one.
    Working, of course. I wonder what would happen if we didn't have social safety nets. Maybe if we didn't make not working so comfortable, people would seek a way, any way, to work.

    Just thinking out loud. I do agree think we should have those safety nets. I do think welfare should supplement those who are working, not pay people not to work (unless they're truly disabled and stuff).

  10. #350
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Working, of course. I wonder what would happen if we didn't have social safety nets. Maybe if we didn't make not working so comfortable, people would seek a way, any way, to work.

    Just thinking out loud. I do agree think we should have those safety nets. I do think welfare should supplement those who are working, not pay people not to work (unless they're truly disabled and stuff).
    for the able, social safety nets should be focused on the hand-UP... keep you from starving while you do job retraining and start working again as quickly as possible...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 35 of 47 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •