View Poll Results: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 14.67%
  • No

    125 83.33%
  • I don't know.

    3 2.00%
Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 468

Thread: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

  1. #271
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    If printing money has no detrimental effect, why should anyone work at all? The government could just print money for everybody. The more the better.
    That is not what I said. I am not referring to just printing money willy nilly, but creating jobs. There is a huge difference so please don't strawman.
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    Counterfeiting is a crime because the government doesn't want anyone just printing currency. The governmentis allowed to print money because they can control it, and it gives them monetary sovereignty to control the value of it. So the two are not related in any way.
    And now ask yourself why the government doesn't want anyone printing currency. You're doing well. I'm sure you'll get there...

  3. #273
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    And now ask yourself why the government doesn't want anyone printing currency. You're doing well. I'm sure you'll get there...
    I am not making teh argument to counterfeit so your point is moot and meaningless.
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    I am not making teh argument to counterfeit so your point is moot and meaningless.
    Not really, counterfeiting has the same effect as what you are suggesting. You are suggesting that the fed gov should purchase goods w/ money it creates, which is exactly what a counterfeiter does. You need to think hard about why counterfeiting is considered to be stealing. Once you understand that, you should be able to apply the same reasoning to the solution you suggest.

  5. #275
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Surfing the net, I came across this.



    The Right to a job | Socialist Equality Party

    Interesting point of view. What do you think? Is having a job a right?
    No. The right to life doesn't entitle one to a job. It gives one the freedom to do with their life as they please.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  6. #276
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    I think you have a right to go out and look for a job, as well as be afforded the same training and financial aid that anyone can legally be afforded. I do not think however that public funding or laws should be used to give people of different ethnic groups, sex, handicaps more or less money however, including immigrants should not be given a better chance than an American citizen could be given.

    Now if a private organization wants to give people money for school for being left handed, that's their business.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  7. #277
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    You just said the same thing I did, please stop typing.
    Then apparently you're not in fact arguing for a jobs guarantee, because you described a contract preceding the terms, whereas I described the terms preceding the establishment of the contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    You're saying that the federal government can acquire goods by printing money and that this doesn't harm anyone, which is a load of manure.
    Even if you're one of those who thinks printing money does not result in inflation, there's still the issue of the NAIRU (non-accelerating inflation rate of unemployment), or the rate of unemployment below which inflation rises. How does maxing out employment (even if artificially) NOT cause inflation?

    In the end, for the middle class and savers, the effect is the same, and they bear the brunt of loose fiscal and monetary policies.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 04-28-13 at 02:09 PM.

  8. #278
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,493

    Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Hochbaum View Post
    Describe what you mean by useful, and then I could explain if it is useful or not.

    The value of the dollar is determined just as much by production as it is by currency management. And when you add money to banks accounts of those who consume, more than save, it increases production.
    How bout "useful work yields products or services at a cost that a consumer would be willing to pay."
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  9. #279
    Guru
    JP Hochbaum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Then apparently you're not in fact arguing for a jobs guarantee, because you described a contract preceding the terms, whereas I described the terms preceding the establishment of the contract.



    Even if you're one of those who thinks printing money does not result in inflation, there's still the issue of the NAIRU (non-accelerating inflation rate of unemployment), or the rate of unemployment below which inflation rises. How does maxing out employment (even if artificially) NOT cause inflation?

    In the end, for the middle class and savers, the effect is the same, and they bear the brunt of loose fiscal and monetary policies.
    NAIRU is a made up myth, there is no historical data to back up it happens.
    My blog, where I talk latest news on economics and some other issues.

    http://hereticaldruthers.wordpress.com/

  10. #280
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Have a Right to a Job?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Those who consider a job to be something you're entitled to have provided to you do. Such as those referenced in the OP.

    And while I disagree with ernst barkmann on many things, that's what he's saying. You're misunderstanding him, and you're trying to smear libertarians with the misunderstanding.
    I don't think I'm misunderstanding his position at all.


    As for the Libertarian position, well, it's about as wide as the Atlantic from what I've seen. I have no doubt that most Libertarians do not see a job the same way ernst barkmann does. IMO, he gives your cause a bad name - but, hey, if you want to apologize for him that's your prerogative.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •