View Poll Results: How serious a problem is the divide between the wealthy and the rest of us?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not a problem at all.

    35 28.46%
  • A problem, but not a serious one.

    8 6.50%
  • A fairly serious problem.

    42 34.15%
  • It's not just a "problem." It's a catastrophe that is only getting worse.

    38 30.89%
  • This divide does not exist.

    0 0%
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 407

Thread: The divide between the rich and the rest

  1. #231
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    condescending sanctimony really doesn't work unless you can prove you are more intelligent and more educated than the target of the snarkiness. I suspect you would fail dramatically if you tried and once again, foreigners' opinions on America don't rate much merit with me.

    The fact is, the hand wringing ninnies who whine that there is a widening gap almost always demand the government do something about it without contemplating that government solutions may well be the sloth inducing problem that has led to the gap increasing
    I can understand that. You obviously have too much invested in the mythology to want to let it go.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    I can understand that. You obviously have too much invested in the mythology to want to let it go.
    Or perhaps he has to much invested in his own ability to control his own person and property. The hand wringing ninnies, as he calls them, inevitably want control over our person (making us do things) and our property (taking things from us).

  3. #233
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Or perhaps he has to much invested in his own ability to control his own person and property. The hand wringing ninnies, as he calls them, inevitably want control over our person (making us do things) and our property (taking things from us).
    this is a fantasy.

    the US has lower minimum wage conditions than any place I have been in the western world, greater disparity in income and lower mobility than other similar countries.

    the bottom half of the US population has less chance to earn enough to control his own person and property than people in a comparable position in other countries.

    to think otherwise is adherence to the lie that the US is somehow a land of opportunity.

    the only people outside the US who see it that way are from the third world. because you are a bit better than most emerging economies.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  4. #234
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    I can understand that. You obviously have too much invested in the mythology to want to let it go.
    apparently a lack of investment is one of your issues



  5. #235
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    this is a fantasy.

    the US has lower minimum wage conditions than any place I have been in the western world, greater disparity in income and lower mobility than other similar countries.

    the bottom half of the US population has less chance to earn enough to control his own person and property than people in a comparable position in other countries.

    to think otherwise is adherence to the lie that the US is somehow a land of opportunity.

    the only people outside the US who see it that way are from the third world. because you are a bit better than most emerging economies.
    as responses go, that is a complete fail. ITs not my faul lots of people are unable to control their own destinies.

    if you don't get pregnant before marriage, if you don't abuse drugs or have felonies and if you get a diploma from HS your chances of being in poverty are less than 5%

    why should we worry about those who are in poverty because they get stoned, get knocked up or drop out of school



    the hand wringing ninnies ultimately want to take what we have to buy power through votes



  6. #236
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post

    why should we worry about those who are in poverty because they get stoned, get knocked up or drop out of school


    Because negative social pathologies and harmful behaviors can arise from such factors which hurt people and cost us dearly.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #237
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Because negative social pathologies and harmful behaviors can arise from such factors which hurt people and cost us dearly.
    true-which is why such deleterious behaviours should be made even more unpleasant rather than being enabled by he public umbilical cord



  8. #238
    User Bezukhov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Providence, R.I.
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 05:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    An easier solution to all of this. We must convince the rich to stop doing whatever it is they do that makes them rich. For instance if someone is a brain surgeon making $500,000 a year, they should immediately stop and go flip burgers instead.

  9. #239
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    true-which is why such deleterious behaviours should be made even more unpleasant rather than being enabled by he public umbilical cord
    And how would you accomplish that?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #240
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: The divide between the rich and the rest

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And how would you accomplish that?
    easy, stop subsidizing such people as much as we do.

    BBL



Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •