View Poll Results: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's fine, and warranted

    7 14.89%
  • It's BS, and shouldn't ever be done

    32 68.09%
  • I'm somewhere in the middle on this one

    6 12.77%
  • Other (please explain)

    2 4.26%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 105

Thread: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

  1. #71
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Here is some more on their logic.

    This analysis answers a lot of questions, but shows that they are playing a very dangerous game here:

    Constitution Check: Are there limits on questioning a bombing suspect?
    My impression after watching the Sunday AM talk shows was the Police dont think they will need his confession anyway.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  2. #72
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,841

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    My impression after watching the Sunday AM talk shows was the Police dont think they will need his confession anyway.
    Holy ****!

    Those have to be famous judicial words used more than once just prior to losing a big case!

    They had better be very, very careful......
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Despite what is shown on TV, it is not common practice to read people their rights upon arrest. Rights are read prior to interrogation about a crime, not usually upon arrest.
    Both. Not everyone questioned about a crime is Mirandized. If one is a suspect, they must be Mirandized, but if just questioning for background information they don't do that. And. Anything someone like that comes out with is able to be used against them.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    That sets a dangerous precedent. It takes a few seconds to say, hurts no one, and keeps the police from making assumptions about a person's intelligence and education.
    "hurts no one" is uncertain. if reading them would influence him to not give potentially live saving info, then saying them did hurt someone.

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    My impression after watching the Sunday AM talk shows was the Police dont think they will need his confession anyway.
    In this particular high-profile emotional case, I don't doubt that at all.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    The only reason to say this is because of a poor understanding of the right at issue. Miranda is not some pinnacle of civil liberties, and all these sanctimonious reactions are just examples of unthinking totemism. The exceptions to Miranda exist for a reason, and it is because there can be circumstances where Miranda warnings are unnecessary without infringing on civil liberties. Miranda is vastly misunderstood, and falsely lionized, as many of the reactions in this thread amply demonstration.
    There's still no reason not to, particularly in this case, and if its sleazed some way to get anyone off, then perhaps the responses are warranted.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #77
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They want to be able to question him about any other explosives out there (public safety exception) and a terrorist does not have the same rights as a normal criminal so Miranda really is irrelevant.
    According to what? The Constitution doesn't make exceptions for terrorism.

    Especially terrorists on American soil.

    Especially terrorists with American citizenship on American soil.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #78
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Both. Not everyone questioned about a crime is Mirandized. If one is a suspect, they must be Mirandized, but if just questioning for background information they don't do that. And. Anything someone like that comes out with is able to be used against them.
    It also depends on whether or not the person being questioned can be reasonably expected to believe they are free to go at any time.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    I think several people have pointed out not reading this guy his rights doesn't endanger any evidence gathered prior to his arrest. Eye Witness accounts of the fire fight are still acceptable. Video captures showing him at the scene of the bombing still acceptable. Forensic evidence gathered of the bomb and anyplace searched prior to the arrest still good to go. All ballistic evidence still acceptable.

    Now to hear some 'conservatives' in another thread there is a 12 man sleeper cell out there that is pretty dumb not still not all are accounted for. In the other thread they are claiming Obama's crew shouldn't be downplaying the clear and present danger. They are sure more attacks are in the pipeline. That would seem to be an exception to quick 'readin' his rights'.

    Many 'conservatives' feel this is Jihad and not demented, disenfranchised, disturbed youths like the Columbine whack jobs so I'd think they would be all fuzzy for treating this guy like a terrorist rather than a murderous punk.

    Many 'conservatives' were highly critical of how quickly the underwear bomber was Miranda'd as many thought there was more than one bomber out there.

    I wouldn't be comfortable with anything this guy says before being read his rights later being used against him in a court of law (I don't think they NEED any more than what they have to try him), but I can see the FBI at least trying to run down all the talk show rumors of a sleeper cell.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If you can't figure that out, Kreton, most of us are very relieved you're not in law enforcement.
    Ok, but that doesnt answer the question.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •