View Poll Results: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's fine, and warranted

    7 14.89%
  • It's BS, and shouldn't ever be done

    32 68.09%
  • I'm somewhere in the middle on this one

    6 12.77%
  • Other (please explain)

    2 4.26%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 105

Thread: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

  1. #51
    Advisor Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    07-14-13 @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    342

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Feds Make Miranda Rights Exception for Marathon Bombing Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - ABC News

    I'm feeling pretty confident that we got the right guy. But, as someone who believes that the integrity of the overall system is more important than any single incident and/or suspect, I have issues with not reading the guy his Miranda warning. One, as he is in custody, I'm failing to see any scenario where he continues to pose any threat to public safety that would trigger this, and two, it smacks of yet another end-run around the Constitution using fear and emotion as the rationalization.
    Just for the record...I'd like to say that I would want to see nothing less than full extent of justice carried out against this individual...

    But not providing a U.S. citizen with his right to due process is not only handing him a get of jail card, but these are rather dangerous waters that we shouldn't be treading. Yes he did commit a dangerous crime and posed an immense danger to society, but that doesn't meant that we should just chuck the Constitution and the entire basis of our judicial system out the window because of it.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Benjamin Franklin

  2. #52
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Sure it's a pendulum -- one that keeps swinging further and further towards the statist end of things with every stroke. Decade after decade for the last 50 years, the government gets bigger and more powerful, and our civil rights are steadily eclipsed. There is no backward swing, not in the sum total of things.
    Which isn't true. There have been several court cases that have shown the pendulum goes back and forth. Tenn. v Garner got ruled on in 1985, (shooting a fleeing suspect), the DeLorean entrapment case 1984, along with Mathews v US 1988 and Jacobsen v US 1992 (big ones pertaining to entrapment), last year a couple of cases pertaining to plea bargains and attorneys was ruled on that made plea bargains more open and upfront, and many other cases have narrowed down what LE can and cannot use under search and seizure and warrants (technology can be both a blessing and a curse to LE). The last decade we have been going more toward "the greater good", but there was plenty done before that was worse than now. Just because you aren't aware of every ruling that comes down that changes how something was working, whether for personal freedom/rights or against it, doesn't mean that every ruling and/or law is removing personal rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #53
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Very very bad idea. He is a citizen he has the right to be read his rights.


  4. #54
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Very very bad idea. He is a citizen he has the right to be read his rights.
    No. No person, citizen or otherwise, has a "right" to be read Miranda rights. Rather, if you aren't read your Miranda rights then it is possible that some of the information obtained in an interrogation while in custody may not be admissible against you in cost. Nobody has a right to be read there rights, and if the cops have other evidence against you besides what was obtained on interogation, then it is perfectly possible to convict you without Miranda warnings at all.

  5. #55
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,856

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Very very bad idea. He is a citizen he has the right to be read his rights.
    One has to understand one's Miranda rights for them to be administered (one must be conscious).

    If he has not been interrogated, it makes no difference, now does it?

    If professional police officers and the FBI have not yet administered Miranda, then it was for a reason.

    They would not blow such a visible case out of sheer stupidity.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    One has to understand one's Miranda rights for them to be administered (one must be conscious).

    If he has not been interrogated, it makes no difference, now does it?

    If professional police officers and the FBI have not yet administered Miranda, then it was for a reason.

    They would not blow such a visible case out of sheer stupidity.
    He would have to be conscious to be questioned, too.

    Just because they have a reason doesn't automatically qualify it as a good reason. As Forrest Gump would say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

    The part that I don't get is why they felt the need to announce to the media immediately that they weren't going to read him his Miranda Warning. It wasn't something that needed to be publicly announced, and all it served to do was create hassle for them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,856

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    He would have to be conscious to be questioned, too.

    Just because they have a reason doesn't automatically qualify it as a good reason. As Forrest Gump would say, "Stupid is as stupid does."

    The part that I don't get is why they felt the need to announce to the media immediately that they weren't going to read him his Miranda Warning. It wasn't something that needed to be publicly announced, and all it served to do was create hassle for them.
    Yea, I also thought that it was stupid to say that publicly.

    All it has done is cause confusion.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  8. #58
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    It should be done to anyone arrested. Suspects are under suspicion of committing a crime...they are not guilty until being convicted in a court of law.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  9. #59
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    From what I understand, he can't talk, so why do we have to tell him he can remain silent? Address it if or when he is able to speak.

  10. #60
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: No Miranda reading: Good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    From what I understand, he can't talk, so why do we have to tell him he can remain silent? Address it if or when he is able to speak.
    I would imagine it would apply to written statements, as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •