View Poll Results: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Domestic (because both were here legally)

    7 46.67%
  • Foreign (because both were foreign born)

    2 13.33%
  • Both

    2 13.33%
  • Neither

    1 6.67%
  • Other / Something else

    3 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Maybe a new term is required such as "traitor-terrorist."

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?
    You forgot to add the word "Unknown" to the poll. That would be the more appropriate answer because at this time we simple do not know.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #13
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    You forgot to add the word "Unknown" to the poll. That would be the more appropriate answer because at this time we simple do not know.
    Other / Something else
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    I would call it domestic terrorism, but I would prefer to know more/anything about the motives before I say so with certainty. If they came here to commit terrorism, then I would say it's foreign terrorism. If they came here without that intent, but developed it over time, then I would say domestic terrorism. From what I've read, they developed these sentiments over time with the younger brother perhaps developing them as recently as the past six months. Also, the younger brother was 8 when he got here so I don't think he was planning on bombing anything at that point.

    This case is interesting because it brings up the status and perception of immigrants in the United States. Quite a lot of people have been adamant in treating this as if it's a foreign attack primarily based on the fact these guys are/were immigrants. It kind of lets you know how immigrants, by virtue of not having been born in this country, are still automatically seen as "the other" by many in this country. It also reaffirms how quickly people work to distance themselves from the terrorists. It's not enough to not sympathize with the terrorists. One must also look for differences in religion, ethnicity, race, citizenship and so on as means of saying, "They're not like us. I'm not like them." It's stupid.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Other / Something else
    Didn't use it because "Other/Something else" could mean many different things and is too broad for the right answer to be used.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #16
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I would call it domestic terrorism, but I would prefer to know more/anything about the motives before I say so with certainty. If they came here to commit terrorism, then I would say it's foreign terrorism. If they came here without that intent, but developed it over time, then I would say domestic terrorism. From what I've read, they developed these sentiments over time with the younger brother perhaps developing them as recently as the past six months. Also, the younger brother was 8 when he got here so I don't think he was planning on bombing anything at that point.

    This case is interesting because it brings up the status and perception of immigrants in the United States. Quite a lot of people have been adamant in treating this as if it's a foreign attack primarily based on the fact these guys are/were immigrants. It kind of lets you know how immigrants, by virtue of not having been born in this country, are still automatically seen as "the other" by many in this country. It also reaffirms how quickly people work to distance themselves from the terrorists. It's not enough to not sympathize with the terrorists. One must also look for differences in religion, ethnicity, race, citizenship and so on as means of saying, "They're not like us. I'm not like them." It's stupid.
    Good points.

    To me, it is possible that they may have competing feelings of nationalistic/idealistic loyalty, and even possible that the attack wasn't necessarily "anti-American", though if it wasn't I still cannot think of a reason to do it here.

    I'm not sure I can answer my original question just yet, but I have seen others (here at DP and elsewhere) try and assign one or the other, usually based on their own pre-biases IMO, hence the question.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Didn't use it because "Other/Something else" could mean many different things and is too broad for the right answer to be used.
    And here I thought I tended to over think things.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And here I thought I tended to over think things.
    Sometimes "grey" is not acceptable.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    To me, it is possible that they may have competing feelings of nationalistic/idealistic loyalty, and even possible that the attack wasn't necessarily "anti-American", though if it wasn't I still cannot think of a reason to do it here.
    From what I've read, my impression is that that both brothers probably, as immigrants, always felt some sense of alienation from American society. It seems the like the older brother, who came here at 15, felt it more strongly as he had already developed his identity before he came here whereas the younger brother, who came here at 8, was trying to and somewhat successfully assimilating and finding his place here. Because people often look for some identity to latch onto when they feel alienated, I suspect the older brother turned to religion as a means of dealing with his alienation. Somehow, that turned into terrorism.

    It's also worth noting that the younger brother and mother were apparently 9/11 truthers. If the younger brother thought the United States was unjustly hiding something, that might have played a part as well.

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    From what I've read, my impression is that that both brothers probably, as immigrants, always felt some sense of alienation from American society. It seems the like the older brother, who came here at 15, felt it more strongly as he had already developed his identity before he came here whereas the younger brother, who came here at 8, was trying to and somewhat successfully assimilating and finding his place here. Because people often look for some identity to latch onto when they feel alienated, I suspect the older brother turned to religion as a means of dealing with his alienation. Somehow, that turned into terrorism.

    It's also worth noting that the younger brother and mother were apparently 9/11 truthers. If the younger brother thought the United States was unjustly hiding something, that might have played a part as well.
    As far as assimilation into American society, this is pretty much what I have read and heard as well. The older brother, especially, never felt like he fit in.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What kind of terrorism was the Boston Marathon bombing?

    Are they citizens of this country? Yes..
    Its domestic then.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •