View Poll Results: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few criminals?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    15 22.73%
  • no

    32 48.48%
  • maybe/other

    19 28.79%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 83

Thread: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few criminals?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I understand that, but it does not excuse infinite government force.
    It's only been a few days...that's hardly "infinite"...ease up on the hyperbole, please.

  2. #52
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by aseidner View Post
    Under most circumstances, I would say that it is not ok. However, the situation in Boston is not most circumstance. The individuals involved have shown themselves to be capable of inflicting great harm upon innocent people and must be apprehended.
    This is pretty much my answer. Generally, no. Never say 'never', though.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    What are the facts?

    I thought they advised people to stay clear yet it was not martial law.

    Look at the poll ... it was not as most where it is divided by partisan loyalty.

    Actually I would appreciate an warning from the city of danger and advisory to stay in yet leave it to me to take the risk if I decide to venture out. This is an interesting ethical dilemma.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Boston Is Locked Down As Police Corner This Man (Update: He's Caught) | Danger Room | Wired.com

    I cannot find the answer to this ... yet what would be the consequence legally if advised to stay indoors and one decides to stroll the city?

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I don't mean to sound cold and heartless, but... How many people die in Boston from car accidents per day? Smoking? Drinking? I'm guessing a few. Locking down a city because a terrorist will try to kill people seems like giving into terrorism. I think it's an overreaction.

    Shutting down millions of dollars in business because a couple people might get killed? If we did that for every minor risk, no one would ever leave home.
    I agree.

    You do not shut down an entire city because of a man or two.

    Now, if they had a radioactive 'dirty' bomb or something more lethal like that - okay.

    But 'locking down' a city for a 19 year old teenager?

    This is a WAY over reaction, imo.

    Talk about empowering the terrorists.
    Last edited by DA60; 04-20-13 at 04:30 AM.

  6. #56
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    A photo of downtown:

    The day Boston became a ghost town - CNN.com


    I'd have to look for the exact "order".



    It said 1 million residents were confined to their homes. Again, I'd have to research to see exactly what the "order" was.

    The bottom line is that we turned a productive city into a ghost town for a day, losing millions in business... just because of 2 people. With a few people, could I shut down half the major cities in the country? Looks like it.
    I remember a time in the 1970s when Canada put the entire Province of Quebec under marshal law and basically shut it down because of about a dozen terrorists who'd kidnapped and killed - sometimes inconvenience is necessary for the greater good. Wasn't it bad enough that on the run these two guys killed one campus police officer, seriously wounded a transit officer, kidnapped a citizen and carjacked his SUV while trying to escape? Without the lockdown, there could potentially have been lots of hostages to take.

  7. #57
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Which is why I checked: No..

    The question posed in this poll asked a general question so it deserved a general answer. Which generally speaking why would anyone like the idea of locking down a entire city in order to catch a few criminals?

    But if this guy gets away and the lock down continues over night or perhaps into the next I bet there will be a huge public outcry. Some people dont keep food in their houses and some people dont have houses and a thousand other situations.
    I appreciate what you're saying and generally agree - I believe they knew they had him in a confined area and wanted to make sure he couldn't get out - as it turned out, they were right and nobody else lost their life. I'm willing to give them credit for a job well done here but I agree that a prolonged lockdown would not have been acceptible.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's only been a few days...that's hardly "infinite"...ease up on the hyperbole, please.
    Not temporally for god's sake, infinite in magnitude.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #59
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Without the lockdown, there could potentially have been lots of hostages to take.
    Like he could not have gone into any home and got hostages.

  10. #60
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Should the government be allowed to put a city on lockdown to catch a few crimina

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying and generally agree - I believe they knew they had him in a confined area and wanted to make sure he couldn't get out - as it turned out, they were right and nobody else lost their life. I'm willing to give them credit for a job well done here but I agree that a prolonged lockdown would not have been acceptible.
    When I wrote that ironically they had already stopped the lockdown. I literally wrote that post then the next thing I read online is that the lockdown is over. Then they started talking about going to what ended up being the boat.

    But yea it worked

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •