View Poll Results: Does this video portray conservatism accurately?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 47.37%
  • No

    7 36.84%
  • Why isn't this guy president?

    1 5.26%
  • Dude, f*** this guy

    4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 119

Thread: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    I'm not stating this stuff as "fact." I'm stating it as something I believe. I believe people have a natural right to their own lives, their liberty, and property they rightfully have or obtained. You believe differently or something?
    I disagree that it's a natural right, I agree that, in our society, we have those rights because we decided that those rights exist. If this is just your belief, then it can be safely discarded because you're unable to back it up factually.

    Can you find where I presented my statements about natural rights as "fact?" I don't think that was my angle. If you can find me saying that I'll address it.
    Every time you have spoken about it prior to this post. You have not preceded any of your statements about natural rights with "I believe" or "it is my opinion."

    Okay cool, but more kids happen to be raped by their parents than by religious leaders. Why are we even arguing about this small point anyway?
    Why are you so dead set against acknowledging religious sexual abuse? "Yeah but!" isn't a valid debating mechanism.

    I get it. I would say those women have a natural right not to be raped, because they are humans and humans have human rights. It seems you would argue that those women have no right not to be raped, because humans only have rights when their governments say they do. You seem to not grasp the difference here because you keep saying the same types of things, which causes me to keep saying the same types of things.
    And there you go again. You would say that they have a natural right. Demonstrate that they actually have a natural right. In fact, it is your OPINION that they shouldn't be treated that way, and in that, I'd agree with you. I am not going to argue that just because you or I want the situation to be different, that the situation is now magically different. People in the Middle East might wish that American culture was different. They're welcome to wish whatever they want. That doesn't mean a damn thing is going to change. You keep presenting your opinion as though it was a fact. Unless you can demonstrate objectively that it is a fact, it's just not so.

    And lastly, it is not foolish to suggest that it simply is immoral to rape women and blame them for what just happened to them (not just immoral in your personal individual opinion, but immoral as recognized universally). The same way it is universally considered immoral to kill (deprive of life) and steal (deprive of property). These things are not just wrong according to some and okay according to others. They're wrong, whether governments sanction it or not.
    Morals are inherently subjective. Your morals are no more demonstrably right than the morals of the people in the culture that you criticize. You just keep throwing around terms like "morals" and "rights" because you think it lends your opinions credibility. They simply have not earned that credibility.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #72
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    His entire point is that the existence of things like rape, murder, theft, etc is proof that natural rights is wrong. It's the same argument people like him always make and have been making since the 18th century.

    I doubt they will ever see that it was largely the point.
    What's sad is that you're incapable of thinking deeper than "I wish this was so, therefore I'm going to declare it to be true." Shallow thinking is the hallmark of libertarianism.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #73
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    I always thought it best to consider natural rights as necessary fictions.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    What's sad is that you're incapable of thinking deeper than "I wish this was so, therefore I'm going to declare it to be true." Shallow thinking is the hallmark of libertarianism.
    The amount of in depth analysis that you have ever done on this subject is simply consider that people are violent outside of society and therefore rights do not exist. Let's not play games here and try to pretend you actually have any knowledge on the subject what so ever.

  5. #75
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    For the most part is pretty accurate, though he talks about other things as well.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #76
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    "The belief that you can get something for nothing ... that you can get the government to take something by force from other people and give it to you, like the money for your healthcare, for example. Has been tried many, many times before and has failed everytime."

    I gather he wasn't talking about George Bush forcing Democracy onto the Iraqi people or Mitt Romney passing the same healthcare plan in Massechussetts?
    He certainly wasn't talking about the New Deal, the Great Society and Obamacare.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    He certainly wasn't talking about the New Deal, the Great Society and Obamacare.
    So the Tea Party is for those then?

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    So Tea Partiers hate big government. They don't admit they get ecstatic about the thought of big religion replacing it..........

  9. #79
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    So Tea Partiers hate big government. They don't admit they get ecstatic about the thought of big religion replacing it..........
    this agnostic is trying to understand your point



  10. #80
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Does this video explain conservatism accurately?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    "Proving/showing" a fundamental principle like natural right exists is the same basic task as proving/showing that God exists. There is nothing concrete that can "prove" its existence. It is either believed or it's not.

    For those who do not believe in any sort of natural/inalienable rights, government is God, as it is considered infallible, and the individual is amoral.
    IOW, it is unprovable and can only be accepted as a matter of faith.

    Too bad (for you) our government is not bound by your religious beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •