View Poll Results: Would you marry a stripper?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if I believed she truly loved me for me and not because I was saving her.

    40 48.78%
  • No, nothing but trouble there.

    42 51.22%
Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 609

Thread: Would you marry a stripper?

  1. #451
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, our children don't seem to be keeping up with other children in other countries as far as education goes. Perhaps that's due to the quality of our educators? I don't know. Could be.
    That's a new one

    "Our public education system, which doesn't allow strippers to be teachers, is failing because it allows strippers to be teachers"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #452
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,636

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm retired. However, in my life I was fortunate to have many teachers that did not support the social order and actively promoted the subversion of the current order. They were not only not fired, but quite popular with the students.




    Stop flattering yourself by pretending that you're some kind of authority. My family has been involved in the public education system for longer than you've been alive. However, unlike you, I won't dishonestly try to dismiss your opinion because your experience is inferior to mine.

    That's because I was taught properly. Therefore, I need not rely on "arguments from authority", which is another logical fallacy.




    Oh yeah, I'm just an iconoclast for suggesting that you might be wrong. After all, if it weren't for you and the ban on strippers, the entire system would fall



    Don't worry. I won't hold it against you. After all, you're an educator. It's not like you have to say things that make sense or get fired. Just as long as you don't take your clothes off for money, you're good to go.
    I find this strange that there are two different conversations that are going on due to this whole stripper thing, and you're not quite getting that.

    1) Strippers as teachers
    2) Underpinnings of the teaching profession

    In order for you to promote the notion of the former, you seek to undermine the latter. For you, teachers are not seen as the promoters of morality, teachers should not be seen as pillars to their community with high public image standards to maintain. I am arguing against those notions, while saying that even though I personally do not hold strippers in high esteem and would not currently want them to be employed as teachers, when the entire societal attitudes toward strippers changes, so too would their status as professionals change. If that seems quaint that I and most in the profession hold on to these ideas of high morality, image, and tradition, so be it. I will gladly take on the label of elitist, traditionalist, and conservative.

    In regard to logical fallacies, let's be honest. You rely upon authority nearly all the time. No sane person would act like Descartes on a regular basis. This logical fallacy nonsense is showcasing.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-22-13 at 02:34 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #453
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I find this strange that there are two different conversations that are going on due to this whole stripper thing, and you're not quite getting that.

    1) Strippers as teachers
    2) Underpinnings of the teaching profession

    In order for you to promote the notion of the former, you seek to undermine the latter. For you, teachers are not seen as the promoters of morality, teachers should not be seen as pillars to their community with high public image standards to maintain. I am arguing against those notions, while saying that even though I personally do not hold strippers in high esteem and would not currently want them to be employed as teachers, when the entire societal attitudes toward strippers changes, so too would their status as professionals change. If that seems quaint that I and most in the profession hold on to these ideas of high morality, image, and tradition, so be it. I will gladly take on the label of elitist, traditionalist, and conservative.

    In regard to logical fallacies, let's be honest. You rely upon authority nearly all the time. No sane person would act like Descartes on a regular basis. This logical fallacy nonsense is showcasing.
    The bolded statement assumes that what you call the "underpinnings of the teaching profession" are accurate.

    While I do see teachers of being promoters of morality, in a sense, they are not the promoters of a particular moral code; Instead they promote critical thinking in their students, who would then go on to form their own moral code.

    As far as being pillars of the community with high public image standards to maintain, I see nothing of the sort. Maybe this is because I grew up in a large city, and so had no idea about the private lives of my teachers other than what they chose to share with me.

    And once again, you rely on the fallacy of the majority, as if something must be true simply because a majority of your peers believe it to be true.

    As far as elitism goes, I think it has it places, and teaching is one of them as long as it's an elitism of merit. However, I disagree that teaching is traditionalist. Our schools have been a conduit of social change for quite some time. Sex ed, anti-bullying initiatives, busing, etc have all been designed with undermining traditional beliefs in mind.

    And as far as fallacies goes, I made no claims of being without flaws. I am as human as you are. However, when a belief of mine is shown to be fallacious, I don't continue to claim it is true, in spite of being flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #454
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    I'm seeing a lot of very insecure men on this thread.

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The bolded statement assumes that what you call the "underpinnings of the teaching profession" are accurate.

    While I do see teachers of being promoters of morality, in a sense, they are not the promoters of a particular moral code; Instead they promote critical thinking in their students, who would then go on to form their own moral code.

    As far as being pillars of the community with high public image standards to maintain, I see nothing of the sort. Maybe this is because I grew up in a large city, and so had no idea about the private lives of my teachers other than what they chose to share with me.

    And once again, you rely on the fallacy of the majority, as if something must be true simply because a majority of your peers believe it to be true.

    As far as elitism goes, I think it has it places, and teaching is one of them as long as it's an elitism of merit. However, I disagree that teaching is traditionalist. Our schools have been a conduit of social change for quite some time. Sex ed, anti-bullying initiatives, busing, etc have all been designed with undermining traditional beliefs in mind.

    And as far as fallacies goes, I made no claims of being without flaws. I am as human as you are. However, when a belief of mine is shown to be fallacious, I don't continue to claim it is true, in spite of being flawed.
    Yeah right! That's hilarious!

  6. #456
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,636

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The bolded statement assumes that what you call the "underpinnings of the teaching profession" are accurate.
    Let's say that they are institutionalized and more or less enforced.

    While I do see teachers of being promoters of morality, in a sense, they are not the promoters of a particular moral code; Instead they promote critical thinking in their students, who would then go on to form their own moral code.
    They don't just produce critical thinking. They promote moral behavior, one that, blandly understood, reiterates the morality of society at large....character building, honesty, some understanding of tolerance, generosity, and so forth.

    As far as being pillars of the community with high public image standards to maintain, I see nothing of the sort. Maybe this is because I grew up in a large city, and so had no idea about the private lives of my teachers other than what they chose to share with me.
    You would have to explain portions of their contract, then. You're expected to be part of and representative of the school community and the community that exists outside of the building.

    And once again, you rely on the fallacy of the majority, as if something must be true simply because a majority of your peers believe it to be true.
    Not that it is true, but how it runs. Many things in life are social constructions, but we adhere to them regardless, in large part, because it is normalized.

    As far as elitism goes, I think it has it places, and teaching is one of them as long as it's an elitism of merit. However, I disagree that teaching is traditionalist. Our schools have been a conduit of social change for quite some time. Sex ed, anti-bullying initiatives, busing, etc have all been designed with undermining traditional beliefs in mind.
    And the disciplines themselves are seen as traditionalist. Historians, for the most part, are quite liberal in their social sensibilities, but as an academic discipline, it's immensely traditionalist. As teachers, however, those conservative intuitions come up again.

    And as far as fallacies goes, I made no claims of being without flaws. I am as human as you are. However, when a belief of mine is shown to be fallacious, I don't continue to claim it is true, in spite of being flawed.
    I doubt that. If the concept of power in a family relationship is a social construction, do you still uphold it as a good idea, ever find yourself equating it with truth? Apply that to all sorts of concepts like democracy, minority liberation, and so forth. We rely upon logical fallacies all the time. They are our life. Pointing out that I argued on behalf of a logical fallacy is obvious.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-22-13 at 03:15 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Children are easily influenced and easily distracted. That's why they are still CHILDREN and under need of parental guidance. Children can easily find things about their teachers with the internet. It's absolutely insane to think otherwise in this age of technology, communication and data sharing.

    YES, young boys who are going through puberty would most DEFINITELY find a teacher who takes her clothes off and performs faux sexual acts to be a distraction in the classroom and would most likely be staring at her body parts rather than anything she is writing on the board. To deny this is seriously delusional about the nature of little boys and their curiosity about women and sex.

  8. #458
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Let's say that they are institutionalized and more or less enforced.
    I would argue that the level of their institutionalization and enforcement varies from high to none.

    IOW, even within the educational "establishment", the idea that they are the "underpinnings of the teaching profession" is subject to much disagreement.

    They don't just produce critical thinking. They promote moral behavior, one that, blandly understood, reiterates the morality of society at large....character building, honesty, some understanding of tolerance, generosity, and so forth.
    I would argue that proper teaching methods do more than result in "bland understanding" and does not limit itself to reiterating the morality of the current society, but also informs its' students about moral codes from other times and cultures. At least, that was what my education entailed.


    You would have to explain portions of their contract, then. You're expected to be part of and representative of the school community and the community that exists outside of the building.
    That is not true. All you've done here is repeat yourself and insist that it's not only true, but right. I think it's neither.



    Not that it is true, but how it runs. Many things in life are social constructions, but we adhere to them regardless, in large part, because it is normalized.
    I agree that most of us do adhere to most social constructions. However, that is not a justification for a policy requiring teachers to adhere to all of those social constructions or the teaching of them.

    And the disciplines themselves are seen as traditionalist. Historians, for the most part, are quite liberal in their social sensibilities, but as an academic discipline, it's immensely traditionalist. As teachers, however, those conservative intuitions come up again.
    We are not talking about the traditional modes of inquiry, but rather, the teaching of traditional morality.


    I doubt that. If the concept of power in a family relationship is a social construction, do you still uphold it as a good idea, ever find yourself equating it with truth? Apply that to all sorts of concepts like democracy, minority liberation, and so forth. We rely upon logical fallacies all the time. They are our life. Pointing out that I argued on behalf of a logical fallacy is obvious.
    I agree that the concept of power in a family relationship is a social construction and I believe it should be taught as such. What I don't support is the teacher promoting a morality associated with that. That is for each individual student to decide for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #459
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Children are easily influenced and easily distracted. That's why they are still CHILDREN and under need of parental guidance. Children can easily find things about their teachers with the internet. It's absolutely insane to think otherwise in this age of technology, communication and data sharing.

    YES, young boys who are going through puberty would most DEFINITELY find a teacher who takes her clothes off and performs faux sexual acts to be a distraction in the classroom and would most likely be staring at her body parts rather than anything she is writing on the board. To deny this is seriously delusional about the nature of little boys and their curiosity about women and sex.
    Students who don't pay attention in class, or act in a disruptive manner, can be disciplined.

    When I was a student, I had many teachers who had "distracting" characteristics (ex odd behaviorisms, large breasts, accents, etc) but that was no excuse for bad behavior on the part of students. They, and I, still had to perform
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #460
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Would you marry a stripper?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Children are easily influenced and easily distracted. That's why they are still CHILDREN and under need of parental guidance. Children can easily find things about their teachers with the internet. It's absolutely insane to think otherwise in this age of technology, communication and data sharing.

    YES, young boys who are going through puberty would most DEFINITELY find a teacher who takes her clothes off and performs faux sexual acts to be a distraction in the classroom and would most likely be staring at her body parts rather than anything she is writing on the board. To deny this is seriously delusional about the nature of little boys and their curiosity about women and sex.
    What does that have to do with her being a stripper though? Wouldn't they have a tendency to "oggle" any physically attractive female educator?

Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •