View Poll Results: Should backpacks be banned from public events

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    7 11.48%
  • no

    54 88.52%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 130

Thread: Backpacks, just say no?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Ban backpacks? Come the **** on, let's try to remain reasonable. I almost always have a backpack of sorts. Colleges would be f'd. And have you ever seen a science conference where at least half the people didn't have backpacks?

    Ban backpacks? No, we're not stupid.
    Not ban backpacks, ban them in public events like the Boston Marathon .

  2. #82
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Party View Post
    How dare you bring common sense to this troll thread!
    The TROLL is strong with this one.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Not ban backpacks, ban them in public events like the Boston Marathon .
    No, that's stupid.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    As long as it was that bar, they had a specific reason to do so in that bar. They obviously attracted a rowdy crowd that they didn't want to take more effort to control. That would be completely acceptable for that private business. However, other bars should not be forced by law to ban bottles just because of that one incident, particularly if they aren't similar in nature to that bar.

    It is all about threat assessment and what you are getting for what you lose. The very little security given by banning backpacks is absolutely not worth the loss of freedom, convenience, and for some people money, not to the majority of people. This is a big reason why many cannot stand the TSA rules and how strict they have become because there really isn't a whole lot of security and safety coming from what is being given up.

    As someone else pointed out, banning things only leads to the terrorists thinking of new ways to deploy their methods. They aren't going to give up nor are you really making it harder for them to succeed. You are merely challenging them to make a better, more effective plan. The chances of a person dying in a terrorist attack is much smaller than the chances of being in a traffic accident. You are probably at a higher risk to getting hit by a car crossing the street than actually being injured even during a terrorist attack. (After living in Hawaii and even here in San Diego and observing how the city bus drivers are, I'd say many in bigger cities have a much larger chance of getting hit by a bus than being injured in a terrorist attack, and most attacks occur in those major cities.)
    Banning bottles in that bar is the same thing as banning backpacks in high value target areas for terrorism, site specific. As for terrorist adapting that is true but why not make it as hard as possible for them to ply their trade especially when your so called sacrifice is in reality a very trivial inconvenience. Most sporting events in a controlled environment like a stadium search backpacks now so why is that different than just not allowing them at all in uncontrolled environments or are you against stadiums and Disney Land searching packs too?

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, that's stupid.
    "No, that is stupid" because......

  6. #86
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Ban backpacks? Come the **** on, let's try to remain reasonable. I almost always have a backpack of sorts. Colleges would be f'd. And have you ever seen a science conference where at least half the people didn't have backpacks?

    Ban backpacks? No, we're not stupid.
    Many older K-12 schools have removed student lockers, and most new schools don't even install them at all. If backpacks were banned, which I could see this going in that direction given our society's propensity to overreact, what would students use to carry all their books and stuff?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Many older K-12 schools have removed student lockers, and most new schools don't even install them at all. If backpacks were banned, which I could see this going in that direction given our society's propensity to overreact, what would students use to carry all their books and stuff?
    When I was a kid we carried books under our arm, oh the horror!

  8. #88
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,261

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    I think a small burro would be sufficient to carry all that we require at such events. Some women may require a full fledged pack mule, and exceptions can be made for such instances, but in general the burro would do.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    "No, that is stupid" because......
    It's a dumb notion that it will do anything. Also my possession of a backpack does not infringe upon the rights of others. You cannot just ban things based on coincidence of them being used in a crime. That is stupid.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #90
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,892

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Ban backpacks? Come the **** on, let's try to remain reasonable. I almost always have a backpack of sorts. Colleges would be f'd. And have you ever seen a science conference where at least half the people didn't have backpacks?

    Ban backpacks? No, we're not stupid.
    He wasn't serious:

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Here is what I find really interesting about this thread. Many of the same people who are vehemently anti gun and want them severely restricted in order to "save lives" are not willing to give up their little backpacks to save lives. The right to keep and bear arms is clearly spelled out in the constitution whereas the right to carry a backpack is never mentioned but the anti gun pro backpack crowd says you can have my backpack when you pry it from my cold dead fingers but please take those damn guns. I am also sick to death of hearing the oft repeated catch phrase, 'if we give up XYZ the terrorist win". BS, the terrorist win when they kill and maim Americans. Do burglars win when you install a deadbolt to make it harder for them to break into your house? Did Japan win after they bombed Pearl harbor and America changed its way of life to win that war? I am proud to be in the minority on this subject. I refuse to be a sheep and this is why I call myself an independent, I will not engage in this group think crap. GFY.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •