View Poll Results: Should backpacks be banned from public events

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    7 11.48%
  • no

    54 88.52%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 130

Thread: Backpacks, just say no?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Here is what I find really interesting about this thread. Many of the same people who are vehemently anti gun and want them severely restricted in order to "save lives" are not willing to give up their little backpacks to save lives. The right to keep and bear arms is clearly spelled out in the constitution whereas the right to carry a backpack is never mentioned but the anti gun pro backpack crowd says you can have my backpack when you pry it from my cold dead fingers but please take those damn guns. I am also sick to death of hearing the oft repeated catch phrase, 'if we give up XYZ the terrorist win". BS, the terrorist win when they kill and maim Americans. Do burglars win when you install a deadbolt to make it harder for them to break into your house? Did Japan win after they bombed Pearl harbor and America changed its way of life to win that war? I am proud to be in the minority on this subject. I refuse to be a sheep and this is why I call myself an independent, I will not engage in this group think crap. GFY.

  2. #62
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Here is what I find really interesting about this thread. Many of the same people who are vehemently anti gun and want them severely restricted in order to "save lives" are not willing to give up their little backpacks to save lives. The right to keep and bear arms is clearly spelled out in the constitution whereas the right to carry a backpack is never mentioned but the anti gun pro backpack crowd says you can have my backpack when you pry it from my cold dead fingers but please take those damn guns. I am also sick to death of hearing the oft repeated catch phrase, 'if we give up XYZ the terrorist win". BS, the terrorist win when they kill and maim Americans. Do burglars win when you install a deadbolt to make it harder for them to break into your house? Did Japan win after they bombed Pearl harbor and America changed its way of life to win that war? I am proud to be in the minority on this subject. I refuse to be a sheep and this is why I call myself an independent, I will not engage in this group think crap. GFY.
    Gee, I never saw that one coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #63
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    AFF.. Mistakenly pressed Yes..
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  4. #64
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Perhaps a universal check of mental status for backpack ownership might just be a peachy thing to do. Of course a whole lot of college students and their professors would have sore arms and backs as a result, but hey, free workout right?

  5. #65
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Here is what I find really interesting about this thread. Many of the same people who are vehemently anti gun and want them severely restricted in order to "save lives" are not willing to give up their little backpacks to save lives. The right to keep and bear arms is clearly spelled out in the constitution whereas the right to carry a backpack is never mentioned but the anti gun pro backpack crowd says you can have my backpack when you pry it from my cold dead fingers but please take those damn guns. I am also sick to death of hearing the oft repeated catch phrase, 'if we give up XYZ the terrorist win". BS, the terrorist win when they kill and maim Americans. Do burglars win when you install a deadbolt to make it harder for them to break into your house? Did Japan win after they bombed Pearl harbor and America changed its way of life to win that war? I am proud to be in the minority on this subject. I refuse to be a sheep and this is why I call myself an independent, I will not engage in this group think crap. GFY.
    I voted we should not ban them at public events. It has nothing to do with letting the terrorists win in my mind. It has everything to do with changing our lives detrimentally for statistically insignificant maybes. We run all kinds of risks every day. Don't want to run the risk of being among backpacks and strollers and large purses and sport duffel bags, etc.? Stay out of large public venues.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #66
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Because you just can't live without your backpack?
    As a person without a driver's license (and one who plans on walking a lot even when I get one), I use my backpack and other bags a lot. It is much easier to carry a backpack than it is to carry things openly or even in plastic grocery bags. Just because you are paranoid about the nutball who might put a bomb in a backpack, doesn't mean the rest of us should lose freedom over that paranoia.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I voted we should not ban them at public events. It has nothing to do with letting the terrorists win in my mind. It has everything to do with changing our lives detrimentally for statistically insignificant maybes. We run all kinds of risks every day. Don't want to run the risk of being among backpacks and strollers and large purses and sport duffel bags, etc.? Stay out of large public venues.
    Back wards thinking IMO. Taking away backpacks takes a huge weapon out of the hands of terrorist. Not carrying a backpack to a public event seems like a rather small inconvenience to suffer if it takes this weapon delivery system out of the hands of terrorist. Your logic here would say don't have airline security, just risk the fact that some terrorist just might blow your plane up, if you don't find that risk acceptable don't fly.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    As a person without a driver's license (and one who plans on walking a lot even when I get one), I use my backpack and other bags a lot. It is much easier to carry a backpack than it is to carry things openly or even in plastic grocery bags. Just because you are paranoid about the nutball who might put a bomb in a backpack, doesn't mean the rest of us should lose freedom over that paranoia.
    Right I'm paranoid. This backpack bombing never happened, I f****** dreamed it.

  9. #69
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Right I'm paranoid. This backpack bombing never happened, I f****** dreamed it.
    Things happen all the time. You don't ban things to stop attacks. You don't ban knives on planes to stop terrorists from taking over planes, you actually pay attention to what people are doing. You don't ban guns to stop mass shootings. You pay attention to what is going on and have better security measures in place. You don't ban cars to stop traffic accidents. You punish people who do those things that can cause distractions and are most likely to cause accidents. And you don't ban backpacks to stop bombings. You pay attention to what is going on around you.

    And most of all we as a people need to start realizing that things do happen. You can only do so much to prevent bad things from happening, even those things that are caused by other people. Banning instruments used by those bad people to perpetrate their crimes is not the answer. It is a knee-jerk reaction that costs people time and money, and the heavier toll of personal freedoms for a small feeling of safety that many of those it affects don't even really feel.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Things happen all the time. You don't ban things to stop attacks. You don't ban knives on planes to stop terrorists from taking over planes, you actually pay attention to what people are doing. You don't ban guns to stop mass shootings. You pay attention to what is going on and have better security measures in place. You don't ban cars to stop traffic accidents. You punish people who do those things that can cause distractions and are most likely to cause accidents. And you don't ban backpacks to stop bombings. You pay attention to what is going on around you.

    And most of all we as a people need to start realizing that things do happen. You can only do so much to prevent bad things from happening, even those things that are caused by other people. Banning instruments used by those bad people to perpetrate their crimes is not the answer. It is a knee-jerk reaction that costs people time and money, and the heavier toll of personal freedoms for a small feeling of safety that many of those it affects don't even really feel.
    So you are saying that after 9-11 when box cutters were banned from planes it was stupid, paranoid even.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •