View Poll Results: Should backpacks be banned from public events

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    7 11.48%
  • no

    54 88.52%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 130

Thread: Backpacks, just say no?

  1. #91
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Not ban backpacks, ban them in public events like the Boston Marathon .
    Which is still too far. 2 people out of hundreds of thousands at one event used their backpacks to plant bombs on a really crowded street. What if they had just been going to school or going to work (I often carry my uniform or at least things I need with my uniform in a backpack)? Plenty of people go to see an event and then leave from there to go to another obligation. Or perhaps it is a family who doesn't want to have to spend a lot of money on drinks and snacks waiting for their runners to cross (afterall, to all but the most experienced runners, this thing takes hours, up to 8 hours for a mobile-impaired person). Plus, I don't think they shut down the businesses along the marathon route. And that is a lot of area to ban backpacks in, some of which I believe is close to a college campus.

    It really is just impractical to ban backpacks just to avoid something that is unlikely to happen again. People will be more vigilant during such events or they simply will stay home if they aren't willing to take the chance something similar will happen.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #92
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When I was a kid we carried books under our arm, oh the horror!
    We did, too, but we also had lockers where most stuff stayed when not in use. The only time we took books home was for homework, and then it was only 1-2 books at a time, not every book for every class all day every day.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Can't we just ban young foreign born Muslims from sections of the world known for terrorism?

  4. #94
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When I was a kid we carried books under our arm, oh the horror!
    Not practical anymore. I have two books and several notebooks that I have to take to some of my classes. One of my classes has an investigation kit. And I am in college classes. Younger students usually have to carry books for more than one class with them. Plus many carry their computer with them to class. There is a reason we make advancements such as backpacks. It is to aid us because it was an inconvenience in the past to have to carry your books in your hands.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #95
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Banning bottles in that bar is the same thing as banning backpacks in high value target areas for terrorism, site specific. As for terrorist adapting that is true but why not make it as hard as possible for them to ply their trade especially when your so called sacrifice is in reality a very trivial inconvenience. Most sporting events in a controlled environment like a stadium search backpacks now so why is that different than just not allowing them at all in uncontrolled environments or are you against stadiums and Disney Land searching packs too?
    Banning glass bottles in that bar was a private owner doing it for his own liability purposes more than safety and it actually will go a ways to protect people from harm. Banning backpacks won't do a whole lot at all toward safety/security because the backpacks are merely a transportation device and aren't even dangerous in themselves (even glass is more dangerous).

    No the sacrifice is not trivial, not to those doing the sacrificing.

    Most sporting events don't take place in the middle of a very long distance of public street, are on private property, and only search backpacks coming in, they don't ban them. Big difference between searching a backpack and banning them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #96
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The OP is not about daily use, it specifically is about public events where there are large crowds.
    A high school full of kids and adults is NOT a large crowd.

    /sarcasm

  7. #97
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    After reading through this thread I am truly amazed, I figured a 50- 50 split on this thing


    because is troll thread b

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    He wasn't serious:
    Never been more serious in my forum life.

  9. #99
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Here is what I find really interesting about this thread. Many of the same people who are vehemently anti gun and want them severely restricted in order to "save lives" are not willing to give up their little backpacks to save lives
    and troll thread emerges.

    everyone wave hi to the troll

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Backpacks, just say no?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not practical anymore. I have two books and several notebooks that I have to take to some of my classes. One of my classes has an investigation kit. And I am in college classes. Younger students usually have to carry books for more than one class with them. Plus many carry their computer with them to class. There is a reason we make advancements such as backpacks. It is to aid us because it was an inconvenience in the past to have to carry your books in your hands.
    You keep changing the subject. This thread is about banning backpacks at crowded events that are terrorist targets not banning them altogether.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •