View Poll Results: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 21.88%
  • No

    49 76.56%
  • I don't know

    1 1.56%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107

Thread: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

  1. #81
    Professor Knowledge=power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-23-14 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,398

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Bwhahaha! Thanks for the rumor. (I personally like the disclaimer that tries to explain why you know all this stuff, nice try) You got something wrong though THC does not make your extremities numb, that would be cocaine.
    I have been so high before that my extremities felt numb. THC also has a mild hallucinogenic effect which increases with the amount ingested. Hence, getting so high that you have a 'bad trip' which is not fun.

    Cocaine doesn't make them feel numb, it makes them feel awesome, which is why cocaine is so addictive.

  2. #82
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    If someone is stone cold sober and hindering traffic, then they deserve the ticket they may get. If it's due to intoxication, then it's ticket and then some. So why allow even more people to be out there, 'intoxicated', a voluntary state for most, and only recieve just a ticket?

    Did you know that if a diabetic has low blood sugar, a reaction similar to being intoxicated, and they get pulled over, they can lose their license permanently? One is a voluntary situation, one is not, yet the involuntary situation carries a stiffer penalty.

    Personally, I feel that intoxication, alcohol or pot, should carry an even stiffer penalty than the diabetic. Because you're voluntarily putting others at risk because judgement is impaired.

    I don't care if you smoke at home, at a friends house, or someplace like a bar if it were to become legal. That's your choice. Once you take it on the road, your inflicting it on other people.
    I certainly agree with that last. It's how I've managed my almost five decades of driving without so much as a ticket. If I'm drinking or smoking at all, I won't be driving that day.

    As to the diabetic thing, you're expected to manage your symptoms in order to maintain your driver's license. I agree somewhat that the penalties shouldn't be stiffer than drunk or stoned driving, but it has been used in the past as an excuse and the law is a reaction to that. In my view the penalty should be the same, perhaps a little less for a first and only time offence.

  3. #83
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I certainly agree with that last. It's how I've managed my almost five decades of driving without so much as a ticket. If I'm drinking or smoking at all, I won't be driving that day.

    As to the diabetic thing, you're expected to manage your symptoms in order to maintain your driver's license. I agree somewhat that the penalties shouldn't be stiffer than drunk or stoned driving, but it has been used in the past as an excuse and the law is a reaction to that. In my view the penalty should be the same, perhaps a little less for a first and only time offence.
    People are expected to do a lot of things, but the unpredictability of hypoglycemicia, especially in Type 1, can only be manged to a degree. Most diabetics know to pull over if they feel symptoms come on and address it, but some don't even feel the symptoms. But I digress.

    Rarely is an allowance made in the diabetic's case, they even want diabetics to have a specially colored driver's license. Though this can be a positive if the diabetic is incoherent, perhaps they should have a special colored license for people who drink, or smoke pot, or take other drugs and medications. *some sarcasm included*
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  4. #84
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    I'm not sure what you are reading into my posts but as far as I can tell, we agree completely.

    Being inebriated and operating a motor vehicle is and should be a crime regardless of the method of inebriation. Alcohol has a defined measurement of inebriation and I don't know how you define marijuana inebriation. But, once they figure that out, anyone driving improperly under the influence is a DUI or DWI and should be punished accordingly.





    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    If someone is stone cold sober and hindering traffic, then they deserve the ticket they may get. If it's due to intoxication, then it's ticket and then some. So why allow even more people to be out there, 'intoxicated', a voluntary state for most, and only recieve just a ticket?

    Did you know that if a diabetic has low blood sugar, a reaction similar to being intoxicated, and they get pulled over, they can lose their license permanently? One is a voluntary situation, one is not, yet the involuntary situation carries a stiffer penalty.

    Personally, I feel that intoxication, alcohol or pot, should carry an even stiffer penalty than the diabetic. Because you're voluntarily putting others at risk because judgement is impaired.

    I don't care if you smoke at home, at a friends house, or someplace like a bar if it were to become legal. That's your choice. Once you take it on the road, your inflicting it on other people.

  5. #85
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I'm not sure what you are reading into my posts but as far as I can tell, we agree completely.

    Being inebriated and operating a motor vehicle is and should be a crime regardless of the method of inebriation. Alcohol has a defined measurement of inebriation and I don't know how you define marijuana inebriation. But, once they figure that out, anyone driving improperly under the influence is a DUI or DWI and should be punished accordingly.
    What I read gave the impression that you felt driving while stoned wasn't that big of a thing. To me it is, at any level of stoned. If I read it wrong, then I appologize.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #86
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    No apology necessary. We are having a friendly discussion and misunderstandings are easily cleared up when people are respectful to each other, as we have been.


    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    What I read gave the impression that you felt driving while stoned wasn't that big of a thing. To me it is, at any level of stoned. If I read it wrong, then I appologize.

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Bwhahaha! Thanks for the rumor. (I personally like the disclaimer that tries to explain why you know all this stuff, nice try) You got something wrong though THC does not make your extremities numb, that would be cocaine.
    Didn't say that they were numb. Just said he didn't feel them unless his attention was brought to them.

    I find it funny that so many that are for Pot always deny that these things can and do happen.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #88
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    People are expected to do a lot of things, but the unpredictability of hypoglycemicia, especially in Type 1, can only be manged to a degree. Most diabetics know to pull over if they feel symptoms come on and address it, but some don't even feel the symptoms. But I digress.
    Then they shouldn't be allowed on the road, period. I'm sorry, I have compassion for them and the illness that prevents them from driving safety with any reliability (by your own admission), but that doesn't mean they should be driving if they're a heartbeat away from being deadly to everyone else.

  9. #89
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Then they shouldn't be allowed on the road, period. I'm sorry, I have compassion for them and the illness that prevents them from driving safety with any reliability (by your own admission), but that doesn't mean they should be driving if they're a heartbeat away from being deadly to everyone else.
    So you feel 25.8 million people should be restricted from driving? 8.3% of the population.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: Should driving during or right after smoking pot be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Since it appears from many arguments I've seen that pot actually has no ill or dangerous effects either to the user or any one around them and causes basically zero impairment of judgment or reflexes, shouldn't driving while high be legal? If not, why not?
    Your premise is clearly purposely misconstrued, as pot most certainly has dangerous, dangerous driving-impairment side-effects, obviously.

    THC would not otherwise be a federally controlled substance, again, obviously.

    But then again, if you abuse too much pot, it is also clear that brain function in general becomes permanently impaired.

    Such is the nature of both addiction and the damage pot causes to, among other things, corrupt and disable the mind respectively from proper functioning .. the deadly damage, as this thread easily, accurately and convincingly showed:http://www.debatepolitics.com/health...s-w-498-a.html


    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Choices will be yes, no, and I don't know. Need a second to get the poll up.
    The only rational choice in the poll is to ignore the poll altogether, as it is most certainly a contrivence designed to single out the pot heads on the forum.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •