View Poll Results: Should the Cuban Embargo be ended?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. We cannot cooperate in making Communism successful 90 miles from the US coast

    4 8.70%
  • Yes. Its time to end the Cuban Embargo.

    35 76.09%
  • Yes, but with limits, restrictions and tarrifs.

    5 10.87%
  • Yes, but lets do it with democrats in power owning the backlash from the Cuban exile community.

    2 4.35%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75

Thread: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    No. It shouldn't end until they give up socialism/communism. We should not only continue there, unless they make concessions like China did, but we should increase it for any country that subjects it's people to the slavery of socialism instead of allowing freedom.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,544

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    No. It shouldn't end until they give up socialism/communism. We should not only continue there, unless they make concessions like China did, but we should increase it for any country that subjects it's people to the slavery of socialism instead of allowing freedom.
    I love how people throw out the "communism/socialism" thing like it's nuclear-cancer that's contagious just by virtue of thinking about it.

    What concessions has China made?

    What if the people of Cuba are completely content with their form of government?
    Maybe they're all happy?

    Why can't we do business with them and sell things to them? Why can't we take their money?
    Will we catch communist cooties from it?

    Maybe the best way to defeat communism is to simply help them see a "better" way by interacting with them.

    Obviously trying to ignore them and act like they don't exist isn't doing anything.


    I just don't get what the "fear" is.

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,091

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I would like to visit their but I am concerned about cheap completion for tourism dollars when our fellow Americans are struggling in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Plus florida's citrus and surgar industries could take a hit. At the same time I'm conflicted over competition because there's a part of me that believes after the initial adjustment most competition helps everybody.

    That all said, I feel for the Cuban people.
    I always argue that the cure for oppressive regimes is blue jeans and rock and roll. when people start seeing what they are missing out on, those who are keeping them from it tend to get tossed out.

  4. #24
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So how do you feel about the USofA crawling deeply into bed with China, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan,..........

    In other words.... totally lame justification of grand hypocrisy if that's the reason.
    those relations exist out of necessity, not choice. It's like dealing with my boss, despite thinking he's an asshole, but not dealing with another asshole that I have no such obligation to.

  5. #25
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    For me it's got nothing to do with "Communism" and more to do with human rights. If they manage to meet the UN criteria some day then, sure, why not sell them some food and machinery in exchange for coffee, tobacco, and nickel? Until they do, screw 'em.
    Thank you, Jimmy Carter. I'm not sure I have seen human rights as the foundation of foreign policy in 40 years. That said, though Cuba is near the bottom of the barrel on human rights, we have relationships with nations further down the spectrum. The US isn't exactly lilly-white on the subject itself. Sorry, this sounds like rationalization.

    Country Ranking Table 2007
    http://maplecroft.com/docs/serve/hum...x_2012_poster/
    http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/fil...rts/wr2012.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Why bother. People like JayZ and beyonce can just ignore the embargo and go to Cuba whenever they want ignoring the US rules about travelling to Cuba.

    Its not like the USA has any means to enforce their laws.


    Economically, meh, who cares. The US can't really benefit a lot from its trade with Cuba except maybe coffee...
    Why don't you research the basis of their trip and re-post. Your argument is stronger when its based on real facts rather than your perception of the facts. When your perceptions are wrong, as they are here, well, you don't really have a credible argument.

    They had permission to make the trip.

    http://patterico.com/2013/04/09/beyo...ravel-to-cuba/
    Last edited by upsideguy; 04-16-13 at 10:28 AM.

  6. #26
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    No. It shouldn't end until they give up socialism/communism. We should not only continue there, unless they make concessions like China did, but we should increase it for any country that subjects it's people to the slavery of socialism instead of allowing freedom.
    Let the embargo on Norway and Sweden begin. (People have to stop using socialism and communism in the same breath. They are NOT the same thing.)

  7. #27
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Thank you, Jimmy Carter. I'm not sure I have seen human rights as the foundation of foreign policy in 40 years. That said, though Cuba is near the bottom of the barrel on human rights, we have relationships with nations further down the spectrum. The US isn't exactly lilly-white on the subject itself. Sorry, this sounds like rationalization.

    Country Ranking Table 2007
    http://maplecroft.com/docs/serve/hum...x_2012_poster/
    http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/fil...rts/wr2012.pdf
    those relations usually serve a strategic purpose.

  8. #28
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    those relations usually serve a strategic purpose.
    Most of the "strategic purpose" is based on profit for private interests. To date, the only reason we haven't dropped the Cuban embargo is based on internal politics, not rational thinking. It has political momentum, but that momentum is eroding fast. Its silliness of the highest order.

    The US is a lone wolf in its obstinence. Meanwhile, our Canadian friends enjoy Cuban resorts and Cuban cigars and other benefits of trade with Cuba.

  9. #29
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Most of the "strategic purpose" is based on profit for private interests.
    lol, yes, I'm sure there are all manner of ghoulish interpretations we can throw out there, but that doesn't establish anything as fact, nor does it actually address anything I wrote


    To date, the only reason we haven't dropped the Cuban embargo is based on internal politics, not rational thinking.
    Then you should probably look for a better argument than pointing to our dealings with the Saudis, because it's a rather weak rationalization

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Is it time to end the Cuban Embargo?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Let the embargo on Norway and Sweden begin. (People have to stop using socialism and communism in the same breath. They are NOT the same thing.)
    Reread your Marx. Socialism is the transition steps to communism. Yes, some want to stop at the socialism phase and not "progress" to communism, but they are indeed part of the same socio-economic theory.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •